Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  horizontal lines on unlimited edition cards

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   horizontal lines on unlimited edition cards
paris
posted November 29, 2012 11:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I ordered some cards from ABU recently, and one of the unlimited edition NM cards had 2 faint horizontal line indents across the back. It's not something you would notice from looking at it straight on, or even something you would notice in a scan, but you notice it if you hold the card up against a light source at an angle.

I checked the ABU condition grading guide, and noticed they wrote:

"About 1 in 3 unlimited cards have two horizontal lines across them, since it is so common it does not remove it from what we consider being MINT or even GEM MINT."

Is this really as common as they claim? I checked my other unlimited edition cards, and didn't notice horizontal lines on them.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paris on November 29, 2012]

implode
posted November 29, 2012 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
Unsure how common, but it is occurs pretty often.

denholm
posted November 29, 2012 06:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for denholm Click Here to Email denholm Send a private message to denholm Click to send denholm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View denholm's Trade Auction or SaleView denholm's Trade Auction or Sale
Ya, they were everywhere.

thulnanth
posted November 29, 2012 07:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thulnanth Click Here to Email thulnanth Send a private message to thulnanth Click to send thulnanth an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey paris,

They are nowhere near as common as ABU is making them out to be. First off, I've only ever run across them on rares (not C, U, or land). Second, I've heard rumors they only came in boosters, not starter decks (cannot confirm). Third, the lines vary - some have none, some one, and some two. They also vary in degrees - some deep, some very shallow.

That being said when I plowed through all my Unlimited rares several years ago (when I started building another set), I found them maybe 1 in 25. While I'm not a statistically significant sample, I have gone through a lot of Unlimited cards over the years.

Regardless of frequency, saying they are the same as mint is crap. If they want to charge a premium for cards without the lines, so be it, but if they have the lines they ARE NOT MINT. Just my $0.02 worth.

Take it easy,
Jared

MTDetermine
posted November 29, 2012 11:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paris:
I ordered some cards from ABU recently, and one of the unlimited edition NM cards had 2 faint horizontal line indents across the back. It's not something you would notice from looking at it straight on, or even something you would notice in a scan, but you notice it if you hold the card up against a light source at an angle.

I checked the ABU condition grading guide, and noticed they wrote:

"About 1 in 3 unlimited cards have two horizontal lines across them, since it is so common it does not remove it from what we consider being MINT or even GEM MINT."

Is this really as common as they claim? I checked my other unlimited edition cards, and didn't notice horizontal lines on them.

I guess ABU wants to get good money even on "Mint UNL cards with horizontal lines". You have to remember they are a shop that wants to make money.

If I am not wrong, ABU is own by a Chinese. To put things in a positive light, Chinese, especially those from China, are "very business savvy". If you think the 1% portrayed in the New York's protests are bad, you have not yet been to China. For example, today, the Chinese internet is full of news on a County Mayor who pillaged nearly US$300m, kept 9 mistresses and raped "countless" students in the local high school (apparently he has a fetish for virgins). If you can read Chinese, check out this link http://gb.cri.cn/27824/2012/11/30/5005s3943524.htm

I work in China and have seen too many cases of the local Chinese scamming other Chinese.....BTW, I am of Chinese descent too.

Volcanon
posted November 29, 2012 11:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTDetermine:
I guess ABU wants to get good money even on "Mint UNL cards with horizontal lines". You have to remember they are a shop that wants to make money.

If I am not wrong, ABU is own by a Chinese. To put things in a positive light, Chinese, especially those from China, are "very business savvy". If you think the 1% portrayed in the New York's protests are bad, you have not yet been to China. For example, today, the Chinese internet is full of news on a County Mayor who pillaged nearly US$300m, kept 9 mistresses and raped "countless" students in the local high school (apparently he has a fetish for virgins). If you can read Chinese, check out this link http://gb.cri.cn/27824/2012/11/30/5005s3943524.htm

I work in China and have seen too many cases of the local Chinese scamming other Chinese.....BTW, I am of Chinese descent too.

Less hanzi, moar yingyu.

paris
posted November 30, 2012 04:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Well, if it's really 1 in 3, and especially if there was any geographic correlation to it, e.g., if 80% of Unlimited Edition rares opened in Idaho (where ABU is located) had the lines, then I could imagine why they would still list those cards as Mint, because nearly all pack-fresh Unlimited cards they had access to would have these lines.

However if it's really 1 in 25 and they're calling it 1 in 3 in order to sell the cards for more, that would be a little sketchy.

That's why I'm wondering what the users here know about how common this is. So far it seems like 2 people thought this was very common, while 1 person thought it was relatively rare.

If these lines only appear on rare cards in booster packs, then maybe it was caused by the printing factory machine that puts rare cards into boosters?

Other than these lines, the card is pretty flawless and looks unplayed.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by paris on November 30, 2012]

caquaa
posted November 30, 2012 05:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by paris:
However if it's really 1 in 25 and they're calling it 1 in 3 in order to sell the cards for more, that would be a little sketchy.

I do feel that this "error" is fairly common, but I'd say 1 in 3 is a tad much. I also only recall ever seeing this on rares, but I rarely care about C/U UNL cards too. I recall only one piece of my power having it so 1 in 8, lol. Not exactly the best sample size.

ermabwed
posted December 03, 2012 07:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ermabwed Click Here to Email ermabwed Send a private message to ermabwed Click to send ermabwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ermabwed's Have/Want ListView ermabwed's Have/Want List
Well, I've said before that when you buy from ABU you have to understand up front that their grading system works like this: there is a box on top of the counter which contains the Mint cards. There is a shoebox under the counter. The cards in it are sorted by rubber banding similar card types together and, due to their physical proximity to the other box, are "near Mint." The third box is in the shipping bay out back, and when Gabe's kid runs over it with the forklift he's playing on, these are sold as the "played" cards.

NM from them really does mean "two nicks visible at normal play distances, and only minor edge wear from shuffling." To be fair, that's basically what their description says, but you can't realistically expect high end cards from them.

Legends APs

paris
posted December 03, 2012 09:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ermabwed:
Well, I've said before that when you buy from ABU you have to understand up front that their grading system works like this: there is a box on top of the counter which contains the Mint cards. There is a shoebox under the counter. The cards in it are sorted by rubber banding similar card types together and, due to their physical proximity to the other box, are "near Mint." The third box is in the shipping bay out back, and when Gabe's kid runs over it with the forklift he's playing on, these are sold as the "played" cards.

NM from them really does mean "two nicks visible at normal play distances, and only minor edge wear from shuffling." To be fair, that's basically what their description says, but you can't realistically expect high end cards from them.

I think their card conditions are pretty good in general, I was just wondering about the case of horizontal lines for Unlimited cards. They do provide high resolution individual scans of most of the high value cards they sell, the issue in this case was just that the horizontal lines are subtle enough that they don't even show up in high resolution scans. Their website groups together NM and M as NM-M, and on the shipping statements they send along with the cards it usually shows what section the cards are stored in (e.g., "Safe" for most of the valuable or unique cards). I guess if I really wanted to ensure I'm getting a gem mint card then I should pay extra for one of the graded versions, but I don't want to deal with opening up those slabs to that I can put the card in my binder.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League