Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Tournament report: Pauper Legacy again! Can he do worse than last time?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tournament report: Pauper Legacy again! Can he do worse than last time?
AEther Storm
posted April 29, 2015 01:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
Hi guys, it's been a while, but I'd thought I'd spoil you with another tournament report. It's Pauper Legacy again, and for those of you unaccustomed to this format, it's basically so that you can play all cards that cost 0,50 Eurocent or less in stores. Thus you get all sorts of decks, and the tournaments are very accessible (this deck costed me 15 Euro's for instance)

Last time I didn't do so well, with my Enchant Land deck (Psychic Venom and family) not winning a single match, but I'm mainly there for the fun and winning in a fun way. I revived a classic from earlier days with a twist of my own, here it is:

4 Warped Devotion
4 Megrim
4 Mana Breach

3 Into the Roil
4 Recoil
4 AEther Burst
4 Repulse

4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Dark Deal
2 Haunting Echoes

4 Dismal Backwater
1 Piranha Marsh
9 Swamp
9 Island

Sideboard:
4 Shriekmaw
4 Countersquall
4 Duress
3 AEtherize

As you can see, the main kill is Megrim with Haunting Echoes for the twist.

Well, keeping my fingers crossed for a better result, me and a friend of mine (playing mono-white tokens) went off to the venue, only to find 6 other players there sadly. Usually there are 30+ people attending but hey, Game On!

Game 1
Match 1: U/W Spirits
I'm playing the only girl in the house and she mentions being a fan of tribal decks, which I was about to find out. We both mulligan and I start out with a Dismal Backwater. She plays a Think Twice and Ponders before me getting a Megrim on the table. Stage 1 is set, but she counters with a Stormbound Geist. Turn 4 is for my Warped Devotion and she plays another Geist. With a hand full of bounce spells I'm not afraid and cast my 2nd Warped Devotion, which gets Memory Lapsed. I AEther Burst her attacking Geist but she recasts it and puts a Favorable Winds on the table. I recast my Devotion and Into the Roil her Geist after taking a hit or two. I Accumulate Knowledge into Dark Deal, hoping for another bounce spell but she puts down Mindshrieker and I'm out of options. She flies in for 7 and takes the lead.

Match 2: I Accumulate Knowledge and Megrim on turn 2 and 3, while she Ponders and casts a Sky Spirit. I put a Mana Breach down on turn 4 and cast a Recoil on her Spirit. Because of my Piranha Marsh I get to make her lose a life each turn. I cast a Devotion but that gets Negated. I cast another Mana Breach and she Thinks Twice. I have her in the corner as the puts down Drogskol Captain. Not afraid of her having a 2nd one in hand I cast Warped Devotion leaving my bounce spells in hand (note the play mistake). She punishes me and casts her 2nd Captain making them both untargettable, but with the discard she has done she has gone down to 8 and with me topdecking Dark Deal and she having 6 cards in hand, the game is over. 1-1

Match 3: I am on the draw and keep a 2-land hand. I have Mana Breach, Megrim and Devotion plus 2 bounce spells in hand. I don't see another land the whole match and besides evoking a Shriekmaw I don't do anything for the remainder of the match .

0-1

Round 2:
Match 1: Walls and Biggies
He cycles a bunch of land before casting Fierce Empath for a Terrastomper. He puts a Vine Trellis down that I Repulse, and an Axebane Guardian that I also Repulse (I need options). I get a Warped Devotion down and he gets Stomper on the table, but I Into the Roil it. He discards Quagnoth!!! so he gets it right back (crap!!).
He makes the (to me) odd decision of not recasting Terrastomper but Quagnoth (ok, has shroud) and I cast a double Megrim. He puts down a Wolfbriar Elemental (2 tokens) that I Recoil, and after recasting it I Into the Roil + kicker it again (hoping to force him into discarding it), but I need another Recoil that I don't find and his tokens and Quagnoth get me there.

Match 2: He puts down an Overgrown Battlement and Wall of Roots, plus an Axebane Guardian and Quagnoth in that order. I bounce his Axebance Guardian with Repulse and Shriekmaw his Overgrown Battlement. I get a Warped Devotion as he casts a double Vine Trellis. I Dark Deal, looking for an Aetherize as he gets Wolfbriar Elemental down. I don't find the Aetherize and I'm done..

0-2. This is starting to look like last time..

Round 3:
Match 1: vs my friend with mono-white tokens!
Ok, this will be hard, but here goes! He has Raise the Alarm and I put down Devotion. An Attended Knight follows and I repulse a Token. I get another Warped Devotion and looking alright as he gets Crusade down. I AEther Burst a token and Dark Deal, hoping for another Burst that I don't get..
That was quick.. I board in Maw's and Aetherizes

Match 2: He opens with New Benalia and Crusade as I put Mana Breach down (very handy with New Benalia..). I Accumulate Knowledge and he plays Gather the Townsfolk. I Recoil a Token and his Crusade, which he recasts as I put down Devotion. An Attended Knight follows and I cast Aetherize on the attack (yes!). He recasts the Knight and I AK into a bunch of land.. He gets another Crusade down and I draw 2 more lands until it's finished.

0-3. Ah man, I really thought I'd win at least 1 match with this. One round to go...trying to keep my spirits up I go into the final round..

Round 4:
Match 1: Again Walls and fatties..
He gets a Overgrown Battlement that I Repulse right away, no acceleration this time. I cast Mana Breach and he puts the Battlement down again. He gets 2 Gatecreeper Vines and I Repulse his Battlement againt. I Accumulate Knowledge while he puts down his Battlement, again . I put down Megrim as he gets another Gatecreeper Vine and casts Fiery Empath for a Primordial Sage. I Accumulate Knowledge and AEther Burst his Battlement (see the pattern here.. ). I get down Warped Devotion, AEther Burst his Sage plus a Wall before I Dark Deal him for 14 damage at once.
Yay!

Match 2: I Shriekmaw an Overgrown Battlement and he gets Wall of Roots, Gatecreeper Vine and Fiercy Empath. I get a Warped Devotion as he puts down a Steel Hellkite (hello! that ruins a lot of my plans..). He attacks, but I Into the Roil it with kicker. He recasts, attacks the next turn but I Recoil it, and as he has no cards in hand he is forced to discard it. Tech! I put down Warped Devotion and Mana Breach as I Recoil his Primordial Sage. He has no cards in hand as I hardcast Shriekmaw on his Empath and ride the Fear-beasty to shiny 2-0 victory! (he had a 1-1-1- record before playing me).

So, 1-3 in the end. Could be better, but so can the deck. I didn't play Echoes all day so that has got to go for something better. All participants where cool and made cool decks, so props to them. I had fun playing this deck and will try and tweak it before the next time, whenever that will be.

I hope you enjoyed this! Cheers, AEther Storm.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

jellyfishfanatic
posted April 29, 2015 09:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jellyfishfanatic Click Here to Email jellyfishfanatic Send a private message to jellyfishfanatic Click to send jellyfishfanatic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want ListView jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want List
Not to nit-pick, but isn't pauper all commons? Does Pauper Legacy have different rules? Or is the format you're playing based on the price tag of the cards you're building with?

I'm just curious as I play a lot of pauper as a grad student on a shoestring MTG budget and initially thought maybe I was missing something when I first read this.

Cheers on trying to revive tourney reports and on breathing some life into the forum. I found this enjoyable to read; just some creative, fun magic play.

AEther Storm
posted April 29, 2015 10:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jellyfishfanatic:
Not to nit-pick, but isn't pauper all commons? Does Pauper Legacy have different rules? Or is the format you're playing based on the price tag of the cards you're building with?

I'm just curious as I play a lot of pauper as a grad student on a shoestring MTG budget and initially thought maybe I was missing something when I first read this.

Cheers on trying to revive tourney reports and on breathing some life into the forum. I found this enjoyable to read; just some creative, fun magic play.

"Our" Pauper Legacy budget is different than the one most of us are accustomed to. You can play any card, so long as it's on the 'allowed' list. A card has to cost 0,50 Eurocent in several online card stores (Dutch ones) in order for it to be allowed. So rares, uncommons and even mythics (where applicable, don't recall seeing a mythic allowed) are allowed.

You can find the link here, but the site is in Dutch:
http://www.janr.nl/20150425_Castricum_Budget/allowed_all_colors.htm

I know they are planning a new setup for the allowed list, trying something different. So we'll have to see for next time.

Thanks for the response! I enjoy posting this and reading others as well . Plus yeah, I hope that it contributes in trying to revive the site a bit .

Cheers!

Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Volcanon
posted April 29, 2015 11:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AEther Storm:
"Our" Pauper Legacy budget is different than the one most of us are accustomed to. You can play any card, so long as it's on the 'allowed' list. A card has to cost 0,50 Eurocent in several online card stores (Dutch ones) in order for it to be allowed. So rares, uncommons and even mythics (where applicable, don't recall seeing a mythic allowed) are allowed.

You can find the link here, but the site is in Dutch:
http://www.janr.nl/20150425_Castricum_Budget/allowed_all_colors.htm

I know they are planning a new setup for the allowed list, trying something different. So we'll have to see for next time.

Thanks for the response! I enjoy posting this and reading others as well . Plus yeah, I hope that it contributes in trying to revive the site a bit .

Cheers!

A lot of unfair decks of old are playable then. Madness, affinity, storm, etc.

AEther Storm
posted April 30, 2015 12:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
A lot of unfair decks of old are playable then. Madness, affinity, storm, etc.

Madness: Circular Logic, Nimble Mongoose, Careful Study, Genesis are banned (to name a few).
Affinity: Ravager, Inkmoth, Blinkmoth, lots of other components are not allowed.
Storm: Try getting a Storm count with this card pool. People have tried and failed.

Astral Slide is legal, but is not competitive enough. Oddly. A year or two ago I took a Door to Nothingness deck to the venue that held its own against the competition. The format is very balanced. When a card becomes too powerful (Treasure Cruise for instance), it becomes banned.

Volcanon
posted April 30, 2015 01:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Why not have a ban list instead of an allowed list?

AEther Storm
posted April 30, 2015 02:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
Why not have a ban list instead of an allowed list?

They have both .

oneofchaos
posted May 04, 2015 03:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AEther Storm:
They have both .

This format feels like soccer: It may be fun to watch, but having concrete rules is pretty awesome at competitive levels (like game ending time).

AEther Storm
posted May 06, 2015 01:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
I fear there has been some misunderstanding.
Although it's not a sanctioned tournament (alas), it has the same rules as always. There is just a different cardpool. Decklists are required and are checked.

There is a banned list, and an allowed list. If you combine the two, you have every card printed in Magic History that is Vintage legal.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League