Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Best way to offload thousands of things I don't need?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Best way to offload thousands of things I don't need?
2austin5
posted November 21, 2012 03:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
I have thousands of commons and hundreds of uncommons and rares that are doing absolutely nothing but collecting dust. They span the modern frame and some older cards but not many. What is the best way to offload these? Is it possible to trade them off by any means for decent cards?

junichi
posted November 21, 2012 03:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
Try Craigslist, or sell it to your LGS. It is often better to take slightly less, than to go through the hassle of shipping it to an online retailer.

edit:
Or you could donate them to new players.

I need a new sig.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by junichi on November 21, 2012]

choco man
posted November 21, 2012 03:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
You can try to but it might take a long time to do that. After all, someone traded a paper clip into a Porsche if you can believe it.

Everyone on MOTL tries to trade $3-5 cards into $20 cards and Standard into Legacy. If they can do it, I'm sure you can it too.

You can also save time by just selling bulk. Some people on MOTL claim to be able to sell 1000 unc/com for $10 on craigslist regularly, but they are just lucky enough to live near a bunch of newbs. If you aren't as lucky or want to sell them quickly for a reasonable price, you can sell them for $7-8 shipped...a far cry from $10.

Mr.C
posted November 21, 2012 05:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Check your local stores. I recently offloaded a couple thousand $ in trade for foils I wanted for collection, simply in $.25-$3 cards.

jaromirjagr
posted November 21, 2012 09:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Send a private message to jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ask a friend or someone you trust that wont rip you off to have a look through and pick out the better cards.motlers like iccarus,kuleron and mm1983 buy lots of playable com,unc cards.I like to sell all my small stuff away,have the money sit in my paypal for when I want to buy bigger stuff like fow duals etc.its kind of like my allowance for cards.thats one option.I wouldnt just get rid of them.Theyre could be some viable stuff in there.

AGO
posted November 21, 2012 09:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by jaromirjagr:
Ask a friend or someone you trust that wont rip you off to have a look through and pick out the better cards.motlers like iccarus,kuleron and mm1983 buy lots of playable com,unc cards.I like to sell all my small stuff away,have the money sit in my paypal for when I want to buy bigger stuff like fow duals etc.its kind of like my allowance for cards.thats one option.I wouldnt just get rid of them.Theyre could be some viable stuff in there.

This is a good option. Pick it clean then sell the bulk crap on Craigslist. I just sold Kuleron $250 worth in basically $0.25 and $0.50 cards. Only way to turn playable commons into Legacy staples.

harbingerofthevoid
posted November 22, 2012 07:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
Some people on MOTL claim to be able to sell 1000 unc/com for $10 on craigslist regularly...

Sold 5 boxes of 2000 mixed (un)commons of eBay recently at an average of $27. Sure I paid the fees but I shipped form my house and didn't have to deal with anyone in person

2austin5
posted November 22, 2012 11:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
Thanks for all of the tips guys, I have already started to sort out the cards by set so the first week Im back home for christmas break I will get a tally on what I have and contact the users first to see if there is anything that they like and then I will sell the rest as bulk but keep some on the side and make a new players day at my LGS. Some people at the store want to give pauper a shot and maybe something I have they could use.

jshields
posted November 25, 2012 10:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I know of many people, including myself, that would be interested, if you were to list these on the T/A & Sale forum (but we definitely cannot make offers on this post). Usually, most traders & many stores, including my own will pay quite a bit more if the cards are sorted by color, block, or by both. Ebay is definitely a gamble, factoring in the listing fee & that you pay both ebay & pay pal fees (which often take about 20% of the total price), but that is the other source I used to use to sell wholesale Magic collections for our store's overstocks

420 N Main St.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 552-2204

Fun-N-Games Facebook Page - Be a Fan!
(Magic Leagues, events, trading, & more!)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fun-N-Games-Hobby-Shoppe

Live @ WV, Blacksburg or Roanoke, VA? Come to FNG!!

Volcanon
posted November 25, 2012 10:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Craigslist for bulk stuff. You'll get a better price than here.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League