Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  EDH Deck Building Questions

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   EDH Deck Building Questions
Soldier Boi
posted November 21, 2012 02:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am trying to build a new EDH deck but I keep running into the same issue. How much utility do you put in your EDH deck? Like how much artifact mana, how much ramp (if playing green). How many cards do you use to support your theme (i.e.. how many prison effects if I use Grand Arbiter Augustine). How many counters do I run? How many actual threats do you have if your playing control?

I can't seem to get these correct it the decks that I build. Right now I am on my 8th general because I couldn't get the other themes to work. Any suggestions on how you decide on how you build it?

choco man
posted November 21, 2012 02:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
It depends on how you want to play. So it's difficult to pinpoint suggestions.

A good rule is to just stick to cards you want to play, especially to fit a theme if you're going to for that.

caquaa
posted November 21, 2012 03:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Soldier Boi:
(i.e.. how many prison effects if I use Grand Arbiter Augustine)

as many as you can fit into the deck? <insert evil laugh>

It really just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I try to put in a few cards that do as many of those things as possible contained within the same card so minimize the effect of having cards in the deck that aren't on theme. If you end up w/ a pile of utility, the theme has a hard time shining through. If you can find things on theme that also provide utility, thats best.

Devonin
posted November 21, 2012 06:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
There's really two primary ways to build an EDH deck. Building the deck around your general, and using your general for just their colours.

If you're going to play Grand Arbiter, he's a pretty strong "build around me" general, in which case I'd suggest your whole deck ought to be based around taxing opponents, locking them down and stalling them out. Win condition probably centring around utility fliers.

I've found a lot of people just choosing a general to provide the colours they want and then using just all the good efficient cards in those colours, and it can work quite well especially in U and U/x, but I've found decks that have great synergy with their general tend to do better in general.

Really you build the deck you want to play.

WeedIan
posted November 21, 2012 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Just play for fun. Playing generals that people kill you every game first doesn't make it fun.

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Devonin
posted November 22, 2012 03:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
It's funny how generals get associated with certain deck builds that make you into a huge target. I know if I sat down and saw someone pull out Grand Arbiter, or Kresh, or Sliver Queen, that I'm going to not have a lot of fun.

That's why in multiplayer games with strangers, I tend to sit down with my deck in pink sleeves, and put Phelddagrif into the command zone.

nylarotep
posted November 22, 2012 07:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
Aside from the obvious mana rocks (crypt, vault, sol ring, grim monolith, and occasionally lotus petal and non-opal moxes), I never run artifact mana in decks with green. I'd rather run spell-based ramp since it thins my deck. These are the best if you're in green (for some reason all my edh decks have this color):

Skyshroud claim
Nature's lore
Three visits
Kodama's reach
Cultivate

Soldier Boi
posted November 22, 2012 07:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
People are getting way off topic. Grand Arbitur isn't my general. I just picked him because be is a build around general I could use as an example.

My question is how much utility do you put in your deck. And how much do use if you build around your general.

@nylarotep: is that enough ramp? And do you use the same amount in mono green and in multicolor with green?

Bwatson513
posted November 22, 2012 11:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bwatson513 Click Here to Email Bwatson513 Send a private message to Bwatson513 Click to send Bwatson513 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bwatson513's Have/Want ListView Bwatson513's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Soldier Boi:
People are getting way off topic. Grand Arbitur isn't my general. I just picked him because be is a build around general I could use as an example.

My question is how much utility do you put in your deck. And how much do use if you build around your general.

@nylarotep: is that enough ramp? And do you use the same amount in mono green and in multicolor with green?

you are missing the point. The amount of Utility you use is solely based on your general. There isnt a magic number.

choco man
posted November 22, 2012 05:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
Yep, there's no magic number. The only way you'll find out is by playing lots and lots of games.

Since that's the only way, EDH is only fun when your deck is fun.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League