Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Talisman or Signet?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Talisman or Signet?
keywacat
posted December 26, 2012 07:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
When playing the colour pairs that allow you to choose between them, which do you prefer, and why?

MAB_Rapper
posted December 26, 2012 08:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
Most of the times, Talisman. It allows you to add mana without needing another mana source to be open, and can add colorless if you don't need the colors it makes.

Tower Magic Facebook

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

MOTL's Pro-Tour Winner 2007-2009

LemonMeringue
posted December 26, 2012 08:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
Do you prefer a painland or an odyssey filterland?

Edit: Well it's not an exact comparison, since being stuck with just two filterlands or something isn't possible with a signet. Generally a talisman is better, but it's possible that you would prefer signet. What deck?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LemonMeringue on December 26, 2012]

keywacat
posted December 26, 2012 09:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
It's not for anything specific, more that I was reading over some EDH decklists and wondered why people seem to like the signets so much.

I can see that they filter out your mana, but don't do anything on their own except cost you velocity.

JoshSherman
posted December 26, 2012 09:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
Enemy talismans don't exist, only thing I can think of.

LemonMeringue
posted December 26, 2012 09:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
There are just way more signets floating around, it was a common instead of uncommon like the talismans, plus signets were reprinted in the EDH precons.

caquaa
posted December 26, 2012 02:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
and if its just 2 colors and signet is right, talisman is likely also right. The difficulty comes when its a lot of colors and then that would be a lot of signets and talisman, however that might be kinda funny.... hrm

ryan2754
posted December 26, 2012 03:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
in EDH, I'd rather jump from 2 mana to 4 mana with a signet than 3 to 5 with a talisman.

(68 behind souladvocate)
2nd in Posts [7801] in OH-IO
(only 300 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

caquaa
posted December 26, 2012 04:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by ryan2754:
in EDH, I'd rather jump from 2 mana to 4 mana with a signet than 3 to 5 with a talisman.

Talisman of Progress & Azorius Signet
I'll fill in your excuse for you and assume you're talking about Pristine Talisman which, with a little reading, you can see this thread is not about

Mr.C
posted December 26, 2012 05:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
Talisman of Progress & Azorius Signet
I'll fill in your excuse for you and assume you're talking about Pristine Talisman which, with a little reading, you can see this thread is not about

You know what's weird? I always Thought Talismans cost 3.

ryan2754
posted December 26, 2012 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
****, I thought he was referencing the new Keyrunes, thus someone saying no enemy ones yet.
But now comparing Talismans to Signets, I'll take Signets all day. The damage is substantial enough, especially when I run 3 Shocks, 4-5 Sac Lands and what not.

(68 behind souladvocate)
2nd in Posts [7801] in OH-IO
(only 300 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

caquaa
posted December 26, 2012 06:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
nah, key runes are terrible. At worst I'd rather have darksteel ingot but much rather do coalition relic. Turning into tiny creatures in EDH isn't super relevant. They might be interesting, if the cycle continues, in something like edric or such where more dudes does matter.

MasterWolf
posted December 26, 2012 08:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
Talisman. They open plays like Talisman --> Activate Top. I honestly don't like to play either in any deck with access to green mana.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League