Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Speculation (open topic) (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Speculation (open topic)
B14ckM4g3
posted October 25, 2012 06:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As title suggests, open topic for speculation.

For instance:

When do you think the Onslaught fetchlands will be reprinted? I can see it happening, probably in the next 3 years, to increase modern potential. Opinions?

Anything you want to speculate about?

WeedIan
posted October 25, 2012 07:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
7 years after Zen Fetches, but in a block that contains all 10

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

mcelraca
posted October 25, 2012 07:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
ooooooooohhhh I love speculating wildly!

Someone in another thread had said something about wizards doing things in cycles of 7 years... I'm not sure if this is just conspiracy theorists but if its true, we've got like 3 more years before we see anymore fetches.

I think we will see them sooner than that since it seems their popularity has risen in the recent years.

MY SPECULATING:
What other good cards are going to be in the Modern Masters set...

I'm thinking if it's modern and it's masters they've got to be the best modern cards so...

Tarmogoyf (I think thats verified)
Dark Confidant (Awesome card and full of flavor)
Vendilion Clique
Cryptic Command
Thoughtseize

I haven't read/heard much about the set so this is just a few of the money cards, anyone else?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mcelraca on October 25, 2012]

Zeckk
posted October 25, 2012 08:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
WOTC prints something close enough to a functional reprint of original duals in the next 5 years, inside a premium product (not standard legal). My bet is on a legendary dual land cycle.

gaeacradle
posted October 25, 2012 08:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
WOTC prints something close enough to a functional reprint of original duals in the next 5 years, inside a premium product (not standard legal). My bet is on a legendary dual land cycle.

The idea of a legendary dual land cycle is something that I haven't thought of. This is a great idea and I hope it happens.

Abinks
Banned
posted October 25, 2012 11:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Abinks Click Here to Email Abinks Send a private message to Abinks Click to send Abinks an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would love to see Snow-Covered Duals, but with Coldsnap officially wrapping up the Ice Age Block I just don't see it happening.

caquaa
posted October 26, 2012 12:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Abinks:
I would love to see Snow-Covered Duals, but with Coldsnap officially wrapping up the Ice Age Block I just don't see it happening.

Next block will be a cycle of sesons...

Ravnica: Never-ending Winter

they can put one mishras in each set. 4th season? we'll just squeeze it in some how.

Abinks
Banned
posted October 26, 2012 12:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Abinks Click Here to Email Abinks Send a private message to Abinks Click to send Abinks an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
Next block will be a cycle of sesons...

Ravnica: Never-ending Winter

they can put one mishras in each set. 4th season? we'll just squeeze it in some how.

Same way they did with Lorwyn-Shadowmoor block and it's 4 sets. I really like that idea Caquaa.

oneofchaos
posted October 26, 2012 01:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

How about non-legendary (because things would get legend ruled all day and every day) and just not basic.

Example

blackcleave cliffs without the CIPT. It's fair, it's balanced, and it doesn't invalidate the shocklands completely.

Zeckk
posted October 26, 2012 02:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
How about non-legendary (because things would get legend ruled all day and every day) and just not basic.

Example

blackcleave cliffs without the CIPT. It's fair, it's balanced, and it doesn't invalidate the shocklands completely.

I say legendary for a couple of reasons.

1. WOTC is actually very conservative in terms of pushing the envelope on the reserve list. They also tend to introduce "role player" cards to the legacy pool, rather than cards that dictate an entire archetype, i.e. Omniscience for show and tell decks, or GSZ for maverick. The last couple of cards that have become deck engines by themselves were SFM and JTMS. They don't like to rock the boat very hard, and legendary lands would have little impact on deck design while still giving newer players an option for designing legacy-playable manabases.

2. It could be quite flavorful if they choose to make a cycle of legendary lands for, say, commander product. This is actually a big deal for a segment of the playerbase, and would have the side effect of guaranteeing that the product sells well.

3. Most legacy manabases still revolve around the fetch/dual mechanic, and even previously mono-colored decks like elves and merfolk have strayed away from a basic-heavy manabase in order to get more utility and resilience against the field.

mm1983
posted October 26, 2012 04:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Legendary dual lands will be about as close as it gets to reprinting the original duals. I don't think they would be played in legacy or vintage though since a majority of older players have their 40 set of duals.

Vegas10
posted October 26, 2012 05:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
Legendary dual lands will be about as close as it gets to reprinting the original duals. I don't think they would be played in legacy or vintage though since a majority of older players have their 40 set of duals.

I doubt they ever do this, due to mirror matches in standard turning into stip mine fests do the the legend rule.

skizzikmonger
posted October 26, 2012 05:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:

I'd rather see them print something like this:

No Drawback WU Dual
Land
T: Add W or U to your mana pool.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by skizzikmonger on October 26, 2012]

fluffycow
posted October 26, 2012 05:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:
I'd rather see them print something like this:

No Drawback WU Dual
Land
T: Add W or U to your mana pool.

If no drawback duals are gonna see printing, it's gonna be in a commander deck. They have to differentiate modern from legacy, and to make a strictly superier dual over the pains, scars, M10 duals seems unlikely.

Another speculate, modern will overtake legacy is popularity within the next 5 years

Soldier Boi
posted October 26, 2012 05:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This Modern Masters will have just about everything. I think any card that was popular in those sets will be in here. Even some bad cards because this is supposed to be draftable. Here are a few others that should be in it.

Lightning Bolt
Lightning Helix
Path to Exile
Bloodbraid Elf

hilikuS
posted October 26, 2012 05:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by fluffycow:

Another speculate, modern will overtake legacy is popularity within the next 5 years

I think this might be a foregone conclusion, at least as far as I'm concerned. Wizards will try its hardest. By the time Modern Masters is released, I think it'll already be taking off pretty big.

Legacy is still a diverse format with lots of different stuff going on (unlike Vintage), so I think it will be here to stay, but Modern will be the new shiny exciting thing most people jumps on board with.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on October 26, 2012]

AEther Storm
posted October 26, 2012 06:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Abinks:

I would love to see Wizards do more with the Snow ability. It's something that comes back in more sets (Glacial Ray could be a snow-instant for example).

quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
Legacy is still a diverse format with lots of different stuff going on (unlike Vintage), so I think it will be here to stay, but Modern will be the new shiny exciting thing most people jumps on board with.

I hope Legacy stays. Coming out of the Vintage scene that is too narrow Legacy is one big playground. Sadly, not enough tourneys in my vicinity.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AEther Storm on October 26, 2012]

caquaa
posted October 26, 2012 06:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
wotc wants modern to take off, but as long as they keep a super restrictive ban list people can't play w/ their favorite cards from those sets. I knew sfm and jtms were going to be on the banned list so I got all excited to play bitterblossom again.... nope! I only play modern when I'm forced to, I certainly don't do it for fun. I really dislike legacy overall as well because stoneforge leads to some fairly slow, grindy, boring games. I play infect in legacy to spice things up and hear people groan when they lose to it. Modern doesn't have invigorate or berserk, so infect there just doesn't seem like it packs the same punch.

Myy
posted October 26, 2012 07:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
quote:
. I play infect in legacy to spice things up

have a list I could look at?

Zeckk
posted October 26, 2012 08:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
wotc wants modern to take off, but as long as they keep a super restrictive ban list people can't play w/ their favorite cards from those sets. I knew sfm and jtms were going to be on the banned list so I got all excited to play bitterblossom again.... nope! I only play modern when I'm forced to, I certainly don't do it for fun. I really dislike legacy overall as well because stoneforge leads to some fairly slow, grindy, boring games. I play infect in legacy to spice things up and hear people groan when they lose to it. Modern doesn't have invigorate or berserk, so infect there just doesn't seem like it packs the same punch.

The 2 cards most likely to come off the ban list by next year are SFM and ancestral vision, so don't worry too much. With all the toys jund got in RTR, I think WOTC is getting comfortable with the notion that blue-based tempo and control can have some decent card advantage engines. Delver tempo was almost non-existent at PT RTR.

skizzikmonger
posted October 26, 2012 09:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
The 2 cards most likely to come off the ban list by next year are SFM and ancestral vision

Someone has forgotten how busted Caw-Blade was with SFM tutoring up and playing a Sword or Batterskull by turn 3. SFM won't be unbanned any time soon.

Dimh
posted October 26, 2012 09:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dimh Click Here to Email Dimh Send a private message to Dimh Click to send Dimh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dimh's Have/Want ListView Dimh's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:
Someone has forgotten how busted Caw-Blade was with SFM tutoring up and playing a Sword or Batterskull by turn 3. SFM won't be unbanned any time soon.

I don't know about that.

Look at the current top decks.

Eggs doesn't really care about a Batterskull, SoFaF is pretty good against it.

Jund just Thoughtseizes, IoK, or kills the SFM.

Blue Spell Snares.

Kiki-Jiki combo just goes infinite.

Pyromacer's just burns them out.

I think having a blue based control deck would do the format wonders, and SFM is a way to keep it on track.

The Caw part is not nearly as powerful without Jace, so would more likely be an esper shell for lingering souls.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Dimh on October 26, 2012]

choco man
posted October 26, 2012 10:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Dimh:
I don't know about that.

Look at the current top decks.

Eggs doesn't really care about a Batterskull, SoFaF is pretty good against it.

Jund just Thoughtseizes, IoK, or kills the SFM.

Blue Spell Snares.

Kiki-Jiki combo just goes infinite.

Pyromacer's just burns them out.

I think having a blue based control deck would do the format wonders, and SFM is a way to keep it on track.

The Caw part is not nearly as powerful without Jace, so would more likely be an esper shell for lingering souls.

A lot of the things you mentioned that disregard SFM, similarly disregard Jace TMS.

Eggs can going to combo out when you tap-out.
Jund has very good cards against Jace TMS.
Pod decks have the CA tools to grind out Jace TMS.
Pyromancer's can combo out on turn 4 also.

I played Modern and Overextended when the formats were brand new; back then, tapping out on turn 4 for Jace TMS meant suicide. At the first Modern Pro Tour, Cloudpost had little shot against the field of combo. Just because it can be out-raced by combo doesn't mean it's okay to be legal. Obviously, WOTC banned some combo cards and then banned Cloudpost.

WOTC just doesn't want those cards (esp Visions) in the format. The banned list isn't about just keeping out worst offenders. They're trying to outline/define a format with Modern (and to be able to reprint cards in a non-rotating format). Tapping out on turn 1 (turn 2 for Bitterblossom) and then sitting back with open mana for the rest of the game and be able to get ahead isn't something WOTC wants.

Bc Jace TMS is such a popular card, if the format is completely hostile to it...I could maybe see it being unbanned.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on October 26, 2012]

Dimh
posted October 26, 2012 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dimh Click Here to Email Dimh Send a private message to Dimh Click to send Dimh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dimh's Have/Want ListView Dimh's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
A lot of the things you mentioned that disregard SFM, similarly disregard Jace TMS.

Eggs can going to combo out when you tap-out.
Jund has very good cards against Jace TMS.
Pod decks have the CA tools to grind out Jace TMS.
Pyromancer's can combo out on turn 4 also.

I played Modern and Overextended when the formats were brand new; back then, tapping out on turn 4 for Jace TMS meant suicide. At the first Modern Pro Tour, Cloudpost had little shot against the field of combo. Just because it can be out-raced by combo doesn't mean it's okay to be legal. Obviously, WOTC banned some combo cards and then banned Cloudpost.

WOTC just doesn't want those cards (esp Visions) in the format. The banned list isn't about just keeping out worst offenders. They're trying to outline/define a format with Modern (and to be able to reprint cards in a non-rotating format). Tapping out on turn 1 (turn 2 for Bitterblossom) and then sitting back with open mana for the rest of the game and be able to get ahead isn't something WOTC wants.

Bc Jace TMS is such a popular card, if the format is completely hostile to it...I could maybe see it being unbanned.

I hope they do, I really do.

Bugger
posted October 26, 2012 12:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Is Pyromancer's Ascension tier one in modern?

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League