Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Compiling Alpha Hoarder List

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Compiling Alpha Hoarder List
twinkletwinkle
posted September 27, 2012 11:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for twinkletwinkle Send a private message to twinkletwinkle Click to send twinkletwinkle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So I lost a lot of my collection in a fire recently. Which is forcing me to replace my alpha/beta collection. A number of folks have informed me that certain alpha cards are being 'hoarded'.

In fact, some of the hoarders are on this board. Hoarders seem to congregate on this website.

I'm trying to track down the Alpha Animate Wall & Alpha Laces & Pirate Ship & Island Sanctuary hoarder. I know who the Zombie Master guy is (he posted on my thread) and the Deathlace guy (also posted, more than 1 hoarder on this card).

I remember he tried to buy a bunch of cards from me years ago and showed me his collection.

I think he had maybe 350 Alpha Animate Walls at the time and stacks of alpha laces. This was years ago, he probably has a lot more now. He was in his early 30s. I remember he wore glasses. He sent me his email, but I have changed accounts multiple since then, so I have no way to track him down. I went to his condo briefly to talk about selling my collection to him, but I can't remember for the life of me where he lived.

I literally just found out that there were only 1100 of each alpha rare printed. I thought it was more like 10 times that many. I would have been more impressed with his collection if I had known how few had been printed.

Does anyone know how to track him down? He probably is on this message board or has posted in the past. If anyone can help me get in touch with him it would be much appreciated.

I'm trying to recreate my collection and certain cards are really hard to buy in any volume and I know it's because hoarders like him are sitting on mountains of them.

I'm trying to put together a list of the alpha hoarders as a public service to all alpha collectors, but I also need to do it for my own benefit because replacing my collection will be a lot easier negotiating with a few people rather than buying every card individually.

Just the savings on shipping costs will be huge for me.

Thanks for your help!

The Alpha Hoarder List(so far)

Timmyhill
Alpha Deathlaces (26)

coasterdude84
Alpha Zombie Master (56)

Mr.C
posted September 27, 2012 11:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
There's a guy on here, forgot his screen name, that has more than a hundred fungusaurs.

Mr.C
posted September 27, 2012 11:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Also, try posting/searching here:

http://magiclibrarities.net/forum/?PHPSESSID=a0737f8d0e4c1d6df75abbb06aa25439

These guys would know for sure. A lot of the hardcore collectors frequent that site.

thulnanth
posted September 28, 2012 12:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thulnanth Click Here to Email thulnanth Send a private message to thulnanth Click to send thulnanth an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
There's a guy on here, forgot his screen name, that has more than a hundred fungusaurs.

AbsolutAlphas (Jake) was a big collector of Fungusaurs at one point, but I think he may have gotten out - he at least sold some, afaik. He seems more into original art these days.

I also believe the big collector of Island Sanctuary sold out too. SCG bought his big lot on eBay - that's why they have so many in stock

ABU, SCG, and T&T have quite a few Alpha rares in stock between them; I'm guessing you could find a bunch by checking all the major dealers and seeing what they have listed.

Best of luck in your quest - hope this helps.

Take it easy,
Jared

MagixDK
posted September 28, 2012 01:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
i have 90% of alpha available. i know this shouldnt be a sales thread, but im cheaper than the stores...

Air Elemental nm
Ancestral Recall nm
Animate Artifact nm
Animate Dead nm
Animate Wall ex
Ankh of Mishra fine
Armageddon nm
Aspect of Wolf ex
Bad Moon nm
Badlands ex
Balance good
Basalt Monolith nm
Benalish Hero nm
Black Knight nm
Black Lotus nm -inked
Black Vise nm
Black Ward nm
Blaze of Glory ex+
Blessing nm
Blue Elemental Blast nm
Blue Ward nm
Braingeyser nm
Burrowing nm
Camouflage nm
Castle nm
Celestial Prism nm
Channel nm
Chaoslace nm
Circle of Protection: Blue nm
Circle of Protection: Green nm
Circle of Protection: Red nm
Circle of Protection: White nm
Clockwork Beast nm
Cockatrice nm
Control Magic nm
Conversion nm
Copper Tablet fine
Crystal Rod nm
Cursed Land nm
Dark Ritual nm
Death Ward nm
Deathgrip nm
Deathlace nm
Dingus Egg ex+
Disenchant nm
Disintegrate nm
Disrupting Scepter fine
Dragon Whelp nm
Drain Power nm
Dwarven Demolition Team fine
Dwarven Warriors nm
Earth Elemental ex+
Creature Bond nm
Earthquake nm
Elvish Archers nm
Evil Presence nm
Farmstead nm
Fastbond PSA 7
Fear ex
Feedback nm
Fire Elemental nm
Firebreathing nm
Flashfires nm
Flight nm
Forcefield nm
Fork fine
Fungusaur nm
Gaea's Liege nm
Gauntlet of Might ex+
Gloom nm
Goblin Balloon Brigade nm
Goblin King nm
Granite Gargoyle nm
Gray Ogre nm
Green Ward nm
Healing Salve nm
Helm of Chatzuk ex+
Hill Giant nm
Holy Armor nm
Howl from Beyond nm
Howling Mine ex
Hurloon Minotaur nm
Hurricane nm
Hypnotic Specter nm
Illusionary Mask ex+
Instill Energy ex+
Iron Star nm
Ironclaw Orcs nm
Island Sanctuary nm
Ivory Cup nm
Jade Monolith nm
Jade Statue nm
Jayemdae Tome nm
Juggernaut good
Jump nm
Karma nm
Kormus Bell nm
Kudzu nm
Lance nm
Ley Druid nm
Library of Leng nm
Lifeforce nm
Lifelace nm
Lifetap ex+
Living Artifact nm
Living Lands nm
Living Wall ex+
Llanowar Elves nm
Lord of Atlantis nm
Lure nm
Magical Hack nm
Mana Flare nm
Mana Short nm 2
Mana Vault nm -shuffle crease
Manabarbs PSA 8
Meekstone ex+
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident nm
Mesa Pegasus nm
Mons's Goblin Raiders nm
Mox Emerald fine/good
Mox Jet fine+
Mox Pearl ex+
Mox Ruby fine+
Mox Sapphire nm
Natural Selection good
Nether Shadow nm
Nettling Imp ex+
Nevinyrral's Disk ex
Northern Paladin fine
Obsianus Golem nm
Orcish Artillery nm
Orcish Oriflamme nm
Pearled Unicorn nm
Personal Incarnation ex
Pestilence nm
Phantasmal Forces nm
Phantom Monster nm
Pirate Ship fine
Plague Rats nm
Plateau Graded 7 (not psa, cant remeber company)
Power Leak nm
Power Surge ex+
Psionic Blast fine+
Purelace purelace
Raging River nm
Red Elemental Blast nm
Red Ward ex
Regrowth nm
Resurrection nm
Reverse Damage nm
Righteousness good
Roc of Kher Ridges ex+
Rock Hydra nm
Rod of Ruin fiine/good
Royal Assassin nm
Sacrifice ex+
Samite Healer nm
Savannah ex+
Savannah Lions ex+
Scathe Zombies nm
Scavenging Ghoul nm
Scrubland ex
Shatter nm
shivan dragon signed nm
Simulacrum nm
Sinkhole nm
Sleight of Mind nm
Smoke nm
Soul Net ex+
Stasis nm
Steal Artifact nm
Stone Giant nm
Stream of Life nm
Sunglasses of Urza ex+
Swords to Plowshares fine
Taiga good
Terror nm
The Hive nm
Thicket Basilisk nm
Thoughtlace ex
Throne of Bone ex
Timber Wolves ex+
Time Vault ex+ (ink)
Time Walk ex++ light ink
Timetwister ex
Tranquility fine
Tropical Island nm+
Tsunami nm
Tundra nm+
Tunnel nm
Two-Headed Giant of Foriys nm
Underground Sea fine
Unholy Strength nm
Uthden Troll nm
Verduran Enchantress nm
Vesuvan Doppelganger ex+
Veteran Bodyguard ex+
Volcanic Eruption ex+
Wall of Air nm
Wall of Bone nm
Wall of Brambles nm
Wall of Stone nm
Wall of Swords nm signed
Wall of Water nm
wall of wood signed nm
Wanderlust nm
War Mammoth nm
Water Elemental nm
Web nm
Wheel of Fortune nm
White Knight nm
White Ward nm
Wild Growth nm
Winter Orb ex+
Wooden Sphere nm
Wrath of God fine

Ihateworking
posted September 28, 2012 01:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ihateworking Click Here to Email Ihateworking Send a private message to Ihateworking Click to send Ihateworking an Instant MessageVisit Ihateworking's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Ihateworking's Have/Want ListView Ihateworking's Have/Want List
I really don't think this will be much of a service to the public at large, mostly because hoarders are collecting usually only one rare and are actively trying to get as many of them as they can. These kinds of collectors won't be willing to part with their cards. You're basically trying to shame them into trading or selling the cards they've worked hard to collect by putting their names on your list. It's akin to sanctioning their harrassment. Now every person trying to put together an alpha set will ask these people over and over again to trade or sell cards they don't want to trade or sell. If they were interested in making a deal, they'd already have a thread on this site or one like it.

isetfire
posted September 28, 2012 05:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
^^ I agree.

southparker2002
posted September 28, 2012 08:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Ihateworking:
I really don't think this will be much of a service to the public at large, mostly because hoarders are collecting usually only one rare and are actively trying to get as many of them as they can. These kinds of collectors won't be willing to part with their cards. You're basically trying to shame them into trading or selling the cards they've worked hard to collect by putting their names on your list. It's akin to sanctioning their harrassment. Now every person trying to put together an alpha set will ask these people over and over again to trade or sell cards they don't want to trade or sell. If they were interested in making a deal, they'd already have a thread on this site or one like it.

Agree 100%

Vegas10
posted September 28, 2012 09:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
Also, try posting/searching here:

http://magiclibrarities.net/forum/?PHPSESSID=a0737f8d0e4c1d6df75abbb06aa25439

These guys would know for sure. A lot of the hardcore collectors frequent that site.

goodluck joining that site, there mods seems to rarley sign up people, and do it very sparadically when they do.

coasterdude84
posted September 30, 2012 08:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
It doesn't really matter to me, to be honest; I haven't exactly kept it a secret. I did keep it quiet for the first 3%, but after that it just became too hard to find them without attracting attention. My goal was to get 5%, which I've done, so now I just pick them up if I stumble across them at a good price. There's plenty out there still: ABU Games has 3, last I knew Daniel Chang had 2, and there are a couple others on ebay. There's another guy that claims to have 16 of them, too. You can certainly get them, they're just expensive and take a little bit of time to find. If you're completing an Alpha set though, the duals, power, etc. will all cost you way more and are probably harder to acquire.

And by the way, I'm at 57 now.

valorale
posted September 30, 2012 10:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for valorale Click Here to Email valorale Send a private message to valorale Click to send valorale an Instant MessageVisit valorale's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am not really clear how this is a public service and who are you assisting? What is your goal?

Are you trying warn people that the prices for certain alpha rares will be higher? We know this, ebay ending auctions and dealer prices reflect this.

Are you trying to get people to avoid selling and trading their cards to a collector? This isnt a game of Settles of Catan. No one is going to boycott a person because they are a collector of a particular card.

Prices on alpha cards are at an all time high. If you want to assemble a set that is a reality you'll have to deal with. Unless you want to drop a lot of money and buy a set outright, it will take you time and patience to piece it together.

Nitelite
posted September 30, 2012 11:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't really care who the person hoarding them is but would be nice to know which cards are actively collected and how many they have.

Volcanon
posted October 01, 2012 08:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If this is a "brag about your l33t collection" post then it's fine. I've hoarded a few cards over the years and it's pretty fun. I think I have somewhere north of 135 pre-release April Lu Bu now, though it's been harder to buy them over here than in Japan.

I have a bunch signed by not the artist, one really bad alteration, and so on. One time I bought a collection of seven of them, and it came with Sangokushi 7, a PS1 strategy game based on the same saga. Kinda funny.

magicmisprints
posted October 15, 2012 06:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for magicmisprints Click Here to Email magicmisprints Send a private message to magicmisprints Click to send magicmisprints an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View magicmisprints's Trade Auction or SaleView magicmisprints's Trade Auction or Sale
The hoarding thing has been a concern for me for quite some time (I've known how little Alpha there was relative to other stuff since I started in 94, and gladly sucked up as much as I could when they declared it tournament-illegal). There are many cards I've picked up exactly because I know that certain people hoard them (so I'll have a few, and be able to pass them to people like you), and I never knowingly sell Alpha or anything particularly hoardable to anyone I know is a hoarder of that thing, because it reduces the chances I will be able to find another one later. For instance, a guy was huge into Forces of Nature way back in the day and had ungodly numbers of all editions, but also like 80-100 Alphas, so I got 13 of my own that he wouldn't have. Call it counter-hoarding, if you like. Anyway, I have decent amounts of Alpha commons and rares available at the moment, including a few Pirate Ships and Drain Powers - very short on uncommons, but long (6-21 of each) on a few items like BoP, Stasis, Wrath, Armageddon, Disk, Verduran, and Crusade. Drop me a line if you are interested. Think I also have an extra Island Sanctuary or two, though I do remember that guy selling a bunch of them on eBay some time back.. thing is, he sold them as huge lots, so they're probably still not redistributed well. Only had one extra Animate Wall, though, which I sold a couple years ago. Need to keep my last one for my set.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League