Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What is the deal with point based traders? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What is the deal with point based traders?
Poecifer
posted October 14, 2012 09:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Poecifer Click Here to Email Poecifer Send a private message to Poecifer Click to send Poecifer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Poecifer's Have/Want ListView Poecifer's Have/Want List
I mean don't get me wrong, it establishes a direct value based on the person's opinion but most of the time the person wants three dimes for their nickel. I recently saw a guy pricing the Damnation full art that he had at 60 points whereas he was willing to offer 23 points for one in trades. Based on some member's point systems, a foil playset of dissension blood crypts doesn't quite add up to a Scroll Rack. I mean I understand trying to get a premium but some of these people have gone beyond obscene.

MeddlingMage
posted October 14, 2012 09:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
You should say who it is so we call all ridicule and make fun of them. All kidding aside, I make it a "point" not to trade with them. See what I did there

~MM

CM Punk "OMG Kevin Nash WTF, thought he was dead, LOL"

New keeper of the Logout button

xaretnapx
posted October 14, 2012 09:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for xaretnapx Click Here to Email xaretnapx Send a private message to xaretnapx Click to send xaretnapx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View xaretnapx's Have/Want ListView xaretnapx's Have/Want List
When i'm checking lists, i pretty much always skip the points based ones just for that reason. It is nice to have clear values, but when they are obviously skewed into one persons favor, it makes me not even want to make an offer...

Abinks
Banned
posted October 14, 2012 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Abinks Click Here to Email Abinks Send a private message to Abinks Click to send Abinks an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Most of them are pretty absurd, MM1985 is usually pretty good though...

Lord Crovax
posted October 14, 2012 12:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'll give it a once over, if their Wants are 3x or more less then their haves I'll pass....

When I do then Wants are usually 0.5-1.5x less then Haves, and almost always based on what I have/need at any given time...

and as much as people say they hate them, they won't hesitate to abuse typing errors to get themselves a good deal...or at least try to.

southparker2002
posted October 14, 2012 02:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Poecifer:
I mean don't get me wrong, it establishes a direct value based on the person's opinion but most of the time the person wants three dimes for their nickel. I recently saw a guy pricing the Damnation full art that he had at 60 points whereas he was willing to offer 23 points for one in trades. Based on some member's point systems, a foil playset of dissension blood crypts doesn't quite add up to a Scroll Rack. I mean I understand trying to get a premium but some of these people have gone beyond obscene.

They are good though for unloading tons of crap rares for better stuff. I've done it a few times to lighten the lower rares in my binder. To each his own I guess.

airwalk
posted October 14, 2012 02:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by southparker2002:
They are good though for unloading tons of crap rares for better stuff. I've done it a few times to lighten the lower rares in my binder. To each his own I guess.

Yep, I love it when people are willing to take all my crap I don't want for one card I do want. I love points based systems for this reason alone.

Some people have everything and need nothing, so they make a points based list to increase the value of their collection with every trade. They provide away to quickly and easily move cards you don't want for ones you do, even if you are getting 'ripped off'.

Honestly, it bugs me more people who try and work out a normal trade to the nearest dollar than people who try qand gouge you on a points based system.

Lord Crovax
posted October 14, 2012 03:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by airwalk:
Yep, I love it when people are willing to take all my crap I don't want for one card I do want. I love points based systems for this reason alone.

Some people have everything and need nothing, so they make a points based list to increase the value of their collection with every trade. They provide away to quickly and easily move cards you don't want for ones you do, even if you are getting 'ripped off'.

Honestly, it bugs me more people who try and work out a normal trade to the nearest dollar than people who try qand gouge you on a points based system.

I agree with this.....

Volcanon
posted October 14, 2012 03:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's even worse when you offer somebody an amazing deal (+10% or more) and they have to spend hours thinking about it. Points are easy and you can just ignore the bad lists.

ryan2754
posted October 14, 2012 03:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by southparker2002:

+1

AGO
posted October 14, 2012 04:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

This is so true in exception that most of the people who do the lists still won't trade little cards for bigger cards. There is one list and trader that always comes to mind when I think of crappy points lists.

mm1983
posted October 15, 2012 03:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I mostly focus on trading for commons and uncommons with a point based trading list. There are some point based lists that I don't mind trading to either. Sometimes it's the way to go if you want a high end legacy card. I picked up an Italian Karakas through point based trading.

Demilio
posted October 15, 2012 03:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
This is so true in exception that most of the people who do the lists still won't trade little cards for bigger cards. There is one list and trader that always comes to mind when I think of crappy points lists.

^^

Trying to trade with Flip Cec on several occasions was enough to turn me off completely to point lists.

fluffycow
posted October 15, 2012 05:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
I think for all of you who are "against" need to be a little less emotional about this. Think about it, person A has 2 playsets of cradles, 3 Jaces and a couple of each dual and force on his/her trade list, do you really think he/she needs your tree top village, garruk relentless and gideon jura?

There are lots of people that don't need anything on most other people's trade list, so if that's the case, then there's no trade and unless you want to drop $60 for his gradle, you are not getting one.

So the only reason why someone would trade a cradle/Jace down for a stack of < $5 cards is so they can make a profit, but that takes time and an outlet to do so.

So if all your cards are sitting in a binder and don't need any of it but you do need a cradle, then don't get too mad because the other guy is asking a little more for the trade down.

For example, I can sell a gideon jura for ~$5 dollars, but like hell am I going to pay more than 3.5 for one. Same with trade downs

Devonin
posted October 15, 2012 06:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
If you don't actually want the cards, they just shouldn't be on your "want" list.

I have no problem with people who value their so-called "wants" higher than their haves. What ****es me off are all the point-based lists that have the same card on both lists for wildly different values.

Telling me that I can get 5 points for giving you my day of judgement, but I have to give you 12 points to get one you already have from you is not going to make me interested in trading with you.

You're not a store, you aren't paying rent and staff and insurance for those cards. A "good trade" is one that is break even in terms of cash value, but a benefit to both parties for playability of their collection.

If you want to make a want list that has basically every janky card, but with low values because you don't need the cards, and are just willing to let people unload them at a profit to you because nobody else wants them, fine...a bulk-rare buying service has its place.

But simultaneously having and wanting a high-value high-utility card for in some cases a 200-300% difference in how you value mine vs how you value yours? That's just ridiculous.

fluffycow
posted October 15, 2012 06:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
If you don't actually want the cards, they just shouldn't be on your "want" list.

I have no problem with people who value their so-called "wants" higher than their haves. What ****es me off are all the point-based lists that have the same card on both lists for wildly different values.

Telling me that I can get 5 points for giving you my day of judgement, but I have to give you 12 points to get one you already have from you is not going to make me interested in trading with you.

You're not a store, you aren't paying rent and staff and insurance for those cards. A "good trade" is one that is break even in terms of cash value, but a benefit to both parties for playability of their collection.

If you want to make a want list that has basically every janky card, but with low values because you don't need the cards, and are just willing to let people unload them at a profit to you because nobody else wants them, fine...a bulk-rare buying service has its place.

But simultaneously having and wanting a high-value high-utility card for in some cases a 200-300% difference in how you value mine vs how you value yours? That's just ridiculous.

The day of judgement in your example then isn't meant for you. That DoJ is meant for someone maybe with only bulk rares or semi-playalbe commons/uncommons. I know I need some decent common/uncommons but are basically bulk if you buy a box or draft semi-monthly and if you want to unload those to me for a semi-playable rares, I am okay with that, but you better not quote me Starcity prices for your artful dodge when you are looking at my restoration angel.

There are lots of different type of traders, some have only common/uncommons on their list and will literally have no trade in 2 months of posting every single day, that's what that day of judgement is for

Lord Crovax
posted October 15, 2012 09:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Also who are you to say they are not a store? Maybe they are using MOTL to supplement their income? Seems a fine thing to do, if I had a store, I'd use ever resource available to me in order to keep my stock high and/or move/acquire things that are either harder to get or move slower locally.

Also who are you to say that "If you don't actually want the cards, they just shouldn't be on your "want" list"??? I may not want it, but that doesn't mean I may not Need it, some times trade fodder is just as useful as a card I intend on using in a deck.

for Instance I could wait for someone who has what I want and I have they want, or I could trade of things that move quickly and increase my chances of having something someone wants who has what I want. A perfect example of a situation where trading for something I don't want, still gets me what I do want.

Devonin
posted October 15, 2012 11:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
So trade for what you don't want, in hopes of moving stuff around enough to get what you do want. Just don't expect to be allowed to make that trade at 200% profit.

Lord Crovax
posted October 15, 2012 11:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
So trade for what you don't want, in hopes of moving stuff around enough to get what you do want. Just don't expect to be allowed to make that trade at 200% profit.

Yea, I left out %'s on purpose, as obviously people who have several hundred percent differences are NOT stores, etc....

1.5-2x Value isn't so far out there though...

Say Day of Judgement is 5 on Wants, but 7.5-10 on Haves, that isn't so extreme....

People make deals like that all the time on sites like SCG, ABU, TCG, etc ....

Fine to dislike it, but trying to discredit it, that's a totally different deal.

Bagbokk
posted October 15, 2012 05:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I still do not understand why people hate on point based traders so much. Yeah, some of them are a little out of hand with their values. I don't trade with those people, but I sure can see why people would. I've got a huge amount of crap rares sitting around collecting dust because no one locally will ever want them and no LGS will ever buy them because they won't ever be able to get rid of them either (and they don't sell cards online).

Zeckk
posted October 15, 2012 07:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
This thread crops up every couple months or so. The bottom line is there are bad traders, regardless of the type of list they use. The entire point of trading is to exchange cards you don't want for card you do want, while maintaining a mutually acceptable value system.

Is it any less frustrating when people PM me with wildly outrageous trade offers for a non-point list? At least with the point values, you know what you are dealing with from the beginning. I personally avoid them, because I clear most of my bulk-to-playable trades locally, but I understand why they exist.

Jtrade77
posted October 15, 2012 07:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jtrade77 Send a private message to Jtrade77 Click to send Jtrade77 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I actually prefer point based lists when trading because it means when the points are equal on both sides, my offer is much less likely to be rejected. One of the big reasons I got turned off to trading in the first place is I'd make about 10 offers of even trades, and get *maybe* one deal on a good day.

Lord Crovax
posted October 15, 2012 07:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jtrade77:
I actually prefer point based lists when trading because it means when the points are equal on both sides, my offer is much less likely to be rejected. One of the big reasons I got turned off to trading in the first place is I'd make about 10 offers of even trades, and get *maybe* one deal on a good day.

Yea I hate that, specially when I try and make it in their favor in a attempt to get a deal..and still gets ignored...

Feels like unless the trade is 20+ in their favor they have no desire to trade.

gaeacradle
posted October 15, 2012 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
Yea I hate that, specially when I try and make it in their favor in a attempt to get a deal..and still gets ignored...

Feels like unless the trade is 20+ in their favor they have no desire to trade.

Values are not everything. Yes, I may want 10 different $3 card, but I'm sure not as hell trading my hot $20 card for all 10 of them UNLESS I actually need most of them for a deck/cube/whatever. A lot of times, my small wants are in case I may want to play them in the future, so I don't mind waiting 2-3 months to trade other small cards for them.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by gaeacradle on October 15, 2012]

Lord Crovax
posted October 15, 2012 08:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gaeacradle:
Values are not everything. Yes, I may want 10 different $3 card, but I'm sure not as hell trading my hot $20 card for all 10 of them UNLESS I actually need most of them for a deck/cube/whatever. A lot of times, my small wants are in case I may want to play them in the future, so I don't mind waiting 2-3 months to trade other small cards for them.

I'm talking more big stuff....I've honestly had people in the past expect 20+ in their favor when I'm trading THEM duals, and other hot legacy staples when I'm getting the same or less in quality back....

If we are dealing with 10+ x 5.00$ or less cards, sure....but when the items are equal in quality .... things just get absurd...

Gets worse when people think a card should be less then it is, they still want it, they just refuse to pay for it thinking it will go down, even though the odds of that are next to none.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League