Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  so is return to ravnica shortprinted?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   so is return to ravnica shortprinted?
implode
posted October 08, 2012 03:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
I'm seeing higher booster box prices compared to 2012...really makes budgeting hard to do when that is the case. I could buy 2012 JP for $110 a box....now I'm seeing return for $150 an up. uggg

WeedIan
posted October 08, 2012 05:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Higher sales than expected likely.

I was able to get my case at 635 CND

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

eradicate
Banned
posted October 08, 2012 06:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eradicate Click Here to Email eradicate Send a private message to eradicate Click to send eradicate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
wow 150 bucks a box of return to ravnica is high
the store near my home had them at 94 bucks before tax
bought 1 it was like 104 after tax

Thanos
posted October 08, 2012 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eradicate:
wow 150 bucks a box of return to ravnica is high
the store near my home had them at 94 bucks before tax
bought 1 it was like 104 after tax

FYI, He's talking about Japanese boxes.

mtglover
posted October 08, 2012 06:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtglover Click Here to Email mtglover Send a private message to mtglover Click to send mtglover an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtglover's Have/Want ListView mtglover's Have/Want List
Honestly, I think it's just hype and I hope it would settle down later on when the next set comes out and more people are focused on opening up the next set.

eradicate
Banned
posted October 08, 2012 07:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eradicate Click Here to Email eradicate Send a private message to eradicate Click to send eradicate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
FYI, He's talking about Japanese boxes.

fyi thanks

Pail42
posted October 08, 2012 07:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
According to Mark Rosewater's latest column, http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/216 , this is the highest print set ever by a sizeable margin and shortages are due to high demand.

caquaa
posted October 08, 2012 10:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by mtglover:
Honestly, I think it's just hype and I hope it would settle down later on when the next set comes out and more people are focused on opening up the next set.

its just high demand and a short supply right now.... think Zendikar. It'll come back down once a second printing goes out, but the initial printing can only be so large as they have other stuff to print too.

Zeckk
posted October 09, 2012 01:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
its just high demand and a short supply right now.... think Zendikar. It'll come back down once a second printing goes out, but the initial printing can only be so large as they have other stuff to print too.

Bingo. 2nd printing is already under way - local distributor said they were expecting the 2nd run sometime late November.

Bugger
posted October 09, 2012 10:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
places are selling out of RtR already? Jeeeesus

evilempire22
posted October 09, 2012 10:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for evilempire22 Click Here to Email evilempire22 Send a private message to evilempire22 Click to send evilempire22 an Instant MessageVisit evilempire22's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View evilempire22's Have/Want ListView evilempire22's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bugger:
places are selling out of RtR already? Jeeeesus

Yes, local stores in my area cannot keep it in stock. Doesn't help that they were not given their full order by the distributors on release day. One store I checked at got 1/3 their order, and had another store calling them to buy a box to cover a pre-order at store #2.

--Evil

Soldier Boi
posted October 09, 2012 12:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilempire22:
Yes, local stores in my area cannot keep it in stock. Doesn't help that they were not given their full order by the distributors on release day. One store I checked at got 1/3 their order, and had another store calling them to buy a box to cover a pre-order at store #2.

--Evil

That seems to be common, 2 of my LGS only got 1/3 of their orders. It also doesn't help that Wizards determines how much you can order by your previous sales.

mtglover
posted October 09, 2012 02:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtglover Click Here to Email mtglover Send a private message to mtglover Click to send mtglover an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtglover's Have/Want ListView mtglover's Have/Want List
I'm actually surprised that the box sells so well at a premium considering the fact that the set doesn't have a limited print and will eventually drop in price.

hilikuS
posted October 09, 2012 07:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by mtglover:
I'm actually surprised that the box sells so well at a premium considering the fact that the set doesn't have a limited print and will eventually drop in price.

Like any other set, everybody wants their stuff as soon as possible. Once that initial purchase happens, most everybody's appetite is gone. Just so happens that everybody wants tons of this set.

choco man
posted October 09, 2012 07:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
States happens week after the release of the 1st set of the new block. If there was a tournament like States immediately after the release of every set, it'd be like this for every set.

Zeckk
posted October 09, 2012 09:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
States happens week after the release of the 1st set of the new block. If there was a tournament like States immediately after the release of every set, it'd be like this for every set.

The joke is that states is a terrible tournament now. Has anyone even read the prize payout? I would sooner play a GPT.

choco man
posted October 09, 2012 09:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
The joke is that states is a terrible tournament now. Has anyone even read the prize payout? I would sooner play a GPT.

Ppl play in tournaments no matter what the EV is. States is a very visible tournament and States decklists are something that people look at.

If ppl played only due to EV, very few should even bother playing anything period. On any given Friday, how many people at the LGS can realistically even win FNM?

Lord Crovax
posted October 09, 2012 10:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ppl play in tournaments no matter what the EV is. States is a very visible tournament and States decklists are something that people look at.

If ppl played only due to EV, very few should even bother playing anything period. On any given Friday, how many people at the LGS can realistically even win FNM?

Not to mention most FNM's probably don't pay out very well. Some times people play for the sake of doing so.

Zeckk
posted October 10, 2012 02:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:

States USED to be a visible tourney. Now that winning means exactly nothing in terms of qualifying for nationals, all that's left is prize support and "pride", which is hilarious given tendency of magic players to keep their hobby... understated. And the prize support is ridiculously awful. $25 buy-in, and the winner only gets a box? No wonder WOTC took PTQs away from regional TOs...

skizzikmonger
posted October 10, 2012 03:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
States USED to be a visible tourney. Now that winning means exactly nothing in terms of qualifying for nationals, all that's left is prize support and "pride", which is hilarious given tendency of magic players to keep their hobby... understated. And the prize support is ridiculously awful. $25 buy-in, and the winner only gets a box? No wonder WOTC took PTQs away from regional TOs...

You qualified for nationals by winning regionals, not by winning your state's championship

choco man
posted October 10, 2012 08:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:

Other than the on-going trend in 5k's (which every mtg should be grateful for), States is the first tournament outside the LGS that many players go to after the RtR release.

That's why people post on sales forum asking for cards right away or why sellers like MAB_Rapper ask "Ready for States?"

The prize support is awful because the tournament is visible and people show up. $25 and Box for top 8 would be an awesome prize for a tournament if no one showed up. I mean, at a pre-release you pay ~$25 and get a box only if you win.

People don't care about the up-tick in the price of cards around this time of year...every year...because they are in a rush to get the cards (States is a legitimate reason for this, awful EV or not). This is moreso than during the release of the other sets. RtR is the only set that is kicking 3 other sets out of standard. RtR is also the only set coinciding with States 2012. Pro Tours also coincide with release of sets, but most people aren't playing the Pro Tour.

At my LGS, RtR is definitely short. Unless the players are willing to buy cards and bring them into our eco-system, trading is going to be slim for a long time.

Zeckk
posted October 10, 2012 04:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:
You qualified for nationals by winning regionals, not by winning your state's championship

...and winning states qualified you for regionals. The point still stands - states is a shadow of it's former self, and there are plenty of people here in vegas that are simply going to skip states. It's just not worth the scramble for cards, especially with the shorted supply of RTR right now.

skizzikmonger
posted October 10, 2012 06:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
...and winning states qualified you for regionals. The point still stands - states is a shadow of it's former self, and there are plenty of people here in vegas that are simply going to skip states. It's just not worth the scramble for cards, especially with the shorted supply of RTR right now.

Regionals were open tournaments. Winning states didn't qualify you for anything.

JayC
posted October 11, 2012 09:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List
The set has a lot hype about it, but quite frankly, a lot of money right now. Look at how many money cards there are. There's something like a $5-$6 value (in English) in each pack, on average right now and people are buying / drafting the **** out of it so don't be surprised.

If some of these money rares become a thing, or remain a thing, this set will be expensive for good i.e. Jace, Angel, Vraska, Troll, Decay, Mortars, etc.

davef139
posted October 13, 2012 05:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for davef139 Click Here to Email davef139 Send a private message to davef139 Click to send davef139 an Instant MessageVisit davef139's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

What states do you do? I know around here winner gets some packs I think and free events for a year, incl GP, PTQ, Sides.
Friends of mine won the 2hg many years ago and in PTSD they did about 4 free side events because of that.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League