Magic Discussion
  Ya'lll Jace Crazy! (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Ya'lll Jace Crazy!
ardeay
posted October 08, 2012 05:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
Seriously! $50 TCG mid right now, are we all losing our minds. Let's talk about this:

first ability, great against little guys, but against beasts, im not to sure about this, a double dick wurm will take him down very easily.

... but if that dick wurm resolves

Second ability: OK, i hate this ability, it gives your opponent all sorts of information, they get to see three cards of your, and then know what you have in your hand, and know what's left in your deck, or what is in your deck for next round, and that's all for -2!!

Third Ability: Is ridiculous! but you got to get there, just like every other planeswalker, how many non-limited tournament wins do you have from a planeswalker ultimate?

So lets package him around the AWESOME new blue overload cards, and standard blue shenanegains. Yeah thats good, but so arent the others, i just dont see the flexibility with this guy, its all ultimate

Now hose me with knowledge, and convince me not to get premium $$ for this chump when i pull him in drafts

[Edited 2 times, lastly by ardeay on October 08, 2012]

AGO
posted October 08, 2012 05:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
1. It was a highly hyped set.
2. Its Jace, Wizard's new franchise.
3. Full playset in the winning deck in the first open.
4. Starcity Games.
5. Full playsets in several of the top placing decks.
6. It's blue and draws cards.
7. It's a planeswalker.

The list goes on and on.

mtglover
posted October 08, 2012 07:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtglover Click Here to Email mtglover Send a private message to mtglover Click to send mtglover an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtglover's Have/Want ListView mtglover's Have/Want List
I haven't tested the card out yet and I'm just as confused about its price tag but the card's 1st two abilities seems much more useful than you think. It's 1st ability could be like gideon in which it can soak up some damage and survive (not exactly like gideon in which you need to attack it though) and the 2nd ability is seriously being underrated by you if you think it's just ok.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mtglover on October 08, 2012]

Vegas10
posted October 08, 2012 07:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
the second ability is very good, but I agree he is overhyped, but he will see play he is good just not jtms good.

Soldier Boi
posted October 08, 2012 07:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This card is a lot better than most expected. His +1 seems bad but against a bunch of aggro decks its actually very powerful, especailly since they can Azorius Charm the bigger critter. I played against it at SCG Cincy this weeekend and he cut my damage in half which kept him alive. His second ability is also very good. You can either give him the card that will put him ahead or give him cards to thin out his deck either way it puts them ahead in card advantage that is hard to keep up with. Against control decks his ultimate can be deadly. Because you you can still their big win con (unless your playing against miracles) and get your big creature out at the same time.

Jace paired with Tamiyo is a very annoying, especially since UW has a lot of board control.

ardeay
posted October 08, 2012 07:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Soldier Boi:
This card is a lot better than most expected. His +1 seems bad but against a bunch of aggro decks its actually very powerful, especailly since they can Azorius Charm the bigger critter. I played against it at SCG Cincy this weeekend and he cut my damage in half which kept him alive. His second ability is also very good. You can either give him the card that will put him ahead or give him cards to thin out his deck either way it puts them ahead in card advantage that is hard to keep up with. Against control decks his ultimate can be deadly. Because you you can still their big win con (unless your playing against miracles) and get your big creature out at the same time.

Jace paired with Tamiyo is a very annoying, especially since UW has a lot of board control.

That's solid feedback, thank you!

Zeckk
posted October 09, 2012 01:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Can't wait to see 2389752897529 BR zombies decks next week, eating jace decks alive.

flophaus
posted October 09, 2012 01:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't think this Jace is fast enough to be seriously a threat in true, competitive MTG.

A good card? Hell yeah, but just not fast enough for the win consistently.

Eatatjoes
posted October 09, 2012 07:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Eatatjoes Click Here to Email Eatatjoes Send a private message to Eatatjoes Click to send Eatatjoes an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Eatatjoes's Have/Want ListView Eatatjoes's Have/Want List
All the rtr cards are high right now because of states, and the demand for singles has not been met yet. Just wait a few weeks, and everything will cool off. The sky is not falling

Lord Crovax
posted October 09, 2012 09:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
He is also high do to seeing multiple 4 of's in the top 8/16 of a large T2 event.

choco man
posted October 09, 2012 09:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
Gideon Jura was really really expensive also.

stu55
posted October 09, 2012 09:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This is the 2nd best Planeswalker ever

mtglover
posted October 09, 2012 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtglover Click Here to Email mtglover Send a private message to mtglover Click to send mtglover an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtglover's Have/Want ListView mtglover's Have/Want List
No way, I prefer elspeth 1.0 over it.

Bugger
posted October 09, 2012 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:
I don't think this Jace is fast enough to be seriously a threat in true, competitive MTG.

statistics (uncited statistics, but still) seem to disagree.

I'll admit i misread his ultimate as "each opponent" and not "each player"; that severely rearranges his power level.

coolio
posted October 09, 2012 10:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:

You are out of your mind..

Easily the best card in the set, not close

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

[Edited 2 times, lastly by coolio on October 09, 2012]

Lord Crovax
posted October 09, 2012 11:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
You are out of your mind..

Easily the best card in the set, not close

©

Not sure about best card, but defiantly damn close.

Havoc Demon
posted October 09, 2012 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Just from what I saw in Hartford, the card looks legit. The middle ability rarely whiffs in the right deck. It's perfect for control.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

TimeBeing
posted October 09, 2012 08:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
his second ability is pretty much a fact or fiction. You get 2 cards and a Jace (3 cards) or 1 card and Jace (2 cards) Just like Fact did for you. If they kill Jace on their turn you just got 2 cards and a fog. If they don't you get to FoF again.

Plus half the reason FoF was so good was that opponents tended to screw up the piles a lot.

Add in that it's mythic, and the set sold out pretty fast. people also don't want to miss out on the next $75 standard card. It will likely comes down with how much people are tearing it open.

Lord Crovax
posted October 09, 2012 09:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TimeBeing:
his second ability is pretty much a fact or fiction. You get 2 cards and a Jace (3 cards) or 1 card and Jace (2 cards) Just like Fact did for you. If they kill Jace on their turn you just got 2 cards and a fog. If they don't you get to FoF again.

Plus half the reason FoF was so good was that opponents tended to screw up the piles a lot.

Add in that it's mythic, and the set sold out pretty fast. people also don't want to miss out on the next $75 standard card. It will likely comes down with how much people are tearing it open.

and how Standard shapes up over the next few events....see if U/x deks continue to do well....but with Gatecrash add UB and UG I think they will....

Jon10
posted October 11, 2012 02:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jon10 Send a private message to Jon10 Click to send Jon10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would especially see if it can maintain its price in the long term after the Standard rotation.

JayC
posted October 11, 2012 03:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by ardeay:
Seriously! $50 TCG mid right now, are we all losing our minds. Let's talk about this:

first ability, great against little guys, but against beasts, im not to sure about this, a double dick wurm will take him down very easily.

... but if that dick wurm resolves

Second ability: OK, i hate this ability, it gives your opponent all sorts of information, they get to see three cards of your, and then know what you have in your hand, and know what's left in your deck, or what is in your deck for next round, and that's all for -2!!

Third Ability: Is ridiculous! but you got to get there, just like every other planeswalker, how many non-limited tournament wins do you have from a planeswalker ultimate?

So lets package him around the AWESOME new blue overload cards, and standard blue shenanegains. Yeah thats good, but so arent the others, i just dont see the flexibility with this guy, its all ultimate

Now hose me with knowledge, and convince me not to get premium $$ for this chump when i pull him in drafts

Jace was in the deck that won the first Standard Event. He will be present in almost every Blue control deck. Tamiyo will rotate, he will be even more useful then.

Several pro's has stated their belief in this card and how it's been underestimated. And they are far more relevant than you :P

It's actually pretty good, you just think since it's not Jace 2.0 it's bad. Flawed reasoning.

daner
posted October 11, 2012 04:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
Turns out when you put Fact or Fiction on a stick, then slap a mythic rarity on it that it's always gonna be high demand/price. Its the best card U/x control decks could ask for after Jace 2.0. It's the best card in the set...and arguably second best planeswalker ever. Even tho I'm not sold on U/W/r control being the best deck U control is gonna be around and a top tier deck for the foreseable future. It's probably only going to get better with Gatecrash w u/b, u/g and w/b guilds. And no matter what this card will be at the heart of those decks.

choco man
posted October 12, 2012 10:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
how much was Liliana this time last year?

ardeay
posted October 12, 2012 12:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
$70

http://ark42.com/mtg/pricehistory.php?s=Innistrad&c=Liliana+of+the+Veil

daner
posted October 12, 2012 02:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
Turns out when you put Fact or Fiction on a stick, then slap a mythic rarity on it that it's always gonna be high demand/price. Its the best card U/x control decks could ask for after Jace 2.0. It's the best card in the set...and arguably second best planeswalker ever. Even tho I'm not sold on U/W/r control being the best deck U control is gonna be around and a top tier deck for the foreseable future. It's probably only going to get better with Gatecrash w u/b, u/g and w/b guilds. And no matter what this card will be at the heart of those decks.

This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League