Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What do you use for card valuation, and why?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What do you use for card valuation, and why?
marenubium
posted August 21, 2012 09:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marenubium Click Here to Email marenubium Send a private message to marenubium Click to send marenubium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm preferable to tcg myself, because it is an aggregate instead of just one source. Some people swear by SCG, others seem okay to anything except SCG. I haven't seen MOTL's price guide mentioned too much in have/want posts.

I'm just curious as to what site(s) you personally use, which ones you can't stand, and why.

WeedIan
posted August 21, 2012 09:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Everything, if i don't know all the prices I don't know what the mark ups are.

If someone sticks to SCG I won't be trading for Cavern of Souls for example ($30 on SCG, yet $17 on MOTL.. makes sense).

If someone is adamant about using SCG you'll have to pick and choose what cards to trade for because they have over vaules (Tundra's at something like 115 but they can be had for 70-75 on MOTL)

hilikuS
posted August 21, 2012 10:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
I prefer MOTL exclusively, but if you're asking for something else I don't care. So long as we're using it for everything. Only thing I won't do is trade down using SCG's prices (or most other dealer sites for that matter).

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on August 21, 2012]

mcelraca
posted August 21, 2012 10:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
I pull from multiple websites if I'm paying or if it's a bigger deal.

ebay
motl
star city games
abu games
tcgplayer

On smaller deals I'll just use MOTL's as I feel the prices are general and fair. I like TCG for reasons you stated, but for an honest number you need think about condition and shipping which sometimes aren't reflected.

As for why?

Ebay: You get a general idea of what people are wanting to spend and willing to spend. (Being really thorough you can check completed auctions) I like ebay but here you have factor in a lot of what-if's.

Star City Games, ABU Games, large stores: I use if the other party is using as I don't find a real problem as long as all of the quotes are coming from the same place. I've used both stores before for quick shipping and both have great customer service and serve their purpose. (Even if they are generally the most $$)

TCGPlayer: I like because you get a multitude of sources, but you have to watch condition and shipping similar to an ebay auction. Prices can get easily skewed if you're not factoring everything properly.

MOTL: It's the fastest and easiest to search. The prices seem to reflect a card's true value better and if I'm buying from someone I always go here. Yes the prices are usually lower, but I can't think of any occasion where I haven't found someone to sell me a card at MOTL's prices. Yeah, you might have to shop around but it is usually worth it.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mcelraca on August 21, 2012]

marenubium
posted August 21, 2012 02:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marenubium Click Here to Email marenubium Send a private message to marenubium Click to send marenubium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the insights! Appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
Everything, if i don't know all the prices I don't know what the mark ups are.

If someone sticks to SCG I won't be trading for Cavern of Souls for example ($30 on SCG, yet $17 on MOTL.. makes sense).

If someone is adamant about using SCG you'll have to pick and choose what cards to trade for because they have over vaules (Tundra's at something like 115 but they can be had for 70-75 on MOTL)

This is what precipitated my post; I'm genuinely curious as to why some people prefer SCG even though from what I've seen most things are overvalued on there. I suppose if it benefits them though that may be a good reason.

junichi
posted August 21, 2012 05:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by marenubium:
Thanks for the insights! Appreciated.

This is what precipitated my post; I'm genuinely curious as to why some people prefer SCG even though from what I've seen most things are overvalued on there. I suppose if it benefits them though that may be a good reason.

Use your best judgment and cross reference with multiple sites. You are less likely to be ripped off if you use a bigger sample size.

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.
John Wayne

RJM
posted August 21, 2012 07:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for RJM Click Here to Email RJM Send a private message to RJM Click to send RJM an Instant MessageVisit RJM's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View RJM's Have/Want ListView RJM's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:
Use your best judgment and cross reference with multiple sites. You are less likely to be ripped off if you use a bigger sample size.

Agree with this. It takes all of 60 seconds or less for me to check pretty much every valid source of info available on a cards range of values.

Demilio
posted August 21, 2012 07:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
I typically use SCG for values because their prices are updated often and generally in line with demand.

Yes they are more expensive than tcg, ebay or motl but if you are using them for values on both sides it doesn't really matter.

And like those who said above, it's not hard to cross reference other sites.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Demilio on August 21, 2012]

choco man
posted August 21, 2012 11:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Demilio:
I typically use SCG for values because their prices are updated often and generally in line with demand.

Yes they are more expensive than tcg, ebay or motl but if you are using them for values on both sides it doesn't really matter.

And like those who said above, it's not hard to cross reference other sites.

their buylist prices are more aligned with demand than their retail prices.

not sure if anyone put it out there yet, but buylist prices can be a guide as well.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on August 21, 2012]

Lord Crovax
posted August 21, 2012 11:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:

not sure if anyone put it out there yet, but buylist prices can be a guide as well.

Buylists can be risky though, ABU often has snapcaster mage in the 5-7 range for buylist, yet no one is really going to value them at that.

Zeckk
posted August 22, 2012 05:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:

I really hate using buylist pricing though, largely because it puts a really large premium on high-velocity items, and you run into the issue of certain card values getting REALLY strange for certain formats over time (mostly happens to modern cards based on in-season or out-of-season demand).

For me, checking ebay, tcg, and scg is usually enough to get a good ballpark on any given card, barring truly hard-to-find stuff.

AGO
posted August 22, 2012 06:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
I use Magic cards info. Not the high-low prices, but what a store is actually selling the card for. This also allows me to price it on the actual grading of the card.

MAB_Rapper
posted August 22, 2012 07:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
I use e-bay for older items and foils.

I will generally use MOTL Weekly pricing for everything else.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

Jtrade77
posted August 22, 2012 07:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jtrade77 Send a private message to Jtrade77 Click to send Jtrade77 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I prefer MOTL and then eBay completed values. Also liked apathyhouse for ease of use. If I don't have enough data points, I then hit up findmagiccards.com

I'm willing to trade up using practically any website, but not willing to trade down using a price guide I don't like. Dealer websites greatly overvalue unpopular rares.

keywacat
posted August 22, 2012 08:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
I use SCG and cernyrytir.cz, SCG because sometimes I forget what exactly the card does and Cerny Rytir for a baseline on Prague prices.

choco man
posted August 22, 2012 08:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
I really hate using buylist pricing though, largely because it puts a really large premium on high-velocity items, and you run into the issue of certain card values getting REALLY strange for certain formats over time (mostly happens to modern cards based on in-season or out-of-season demand).

For me, checking ebay, tcg, and scg is usually enough to get a good ballpark on any given card, barring truly hard-to-find stuff.

I'd agree that the buylist definitely favors the good cards, but I think that's the point.

Check most lists on MOTL and they're after the same thing (ie, ppl want money for nothing), and since everyone's after duals and only want to trade garbage, using the buylist to compare holds up pretty well.

When everyone is after duals and only trades type 2, you can understand why seasoned MOTL'ers post that trades are hard to come by.

JayC
posted August 23, 2012 09:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List
At my Local Shop no one even knows what MOTL is and it's a big store with a lot of Top 8 players, etc. You'd think they lived in a bubble. It's frustrating, at times...

That said, they all use MagicCards.info, religiously.

dfitzg88
posted August 23, 2012 02:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
I use tcgplayer because its easy to import their tables into excel for easy updating of sale prices and printing guides to take to tournaments (smartphone trading just takes WAY too long).

D'Shay
posted August 30, 2012 07:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:
I use tcgplayer because its easy to import their tables into excel for easy updating of sale prices and printing guides to take to tournaments (smartphone trading just takes WAY too long).

ya i have a few buddies who use this, but they never factor the shipping from multiple vendors part

nderdog
posted August 30, 2012 07:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
I tend to favor MOTL/Apathy House prices if I'm doing the pricing, but as long as someone is using the same price guide for both sides, and it's not a few big cards for a bunch of small cards (which is where inflated price guides can really favor the person giving up the small cards) then I usually don't mind.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

MAB_Rapper
posted August 30, 2012 10:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

MOTL is even easier. Copy and paste into excel and then text to columns. Takes 30 seconds.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

oneofchaos
posted September 02, 2012 03:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I avoid SCG pricing.

JTMS on MOTL = 55
Cavern of souls on MOTL = 18

3 Cavern of Souls ~= 1 JTMS

On starcity...JTMS = 70
Cavern = 30

That's a pretty big dollar difference between the two proposed trades don't you think?

quote:

The time people pull out smartphones is when I walk away and find somebody who doesn't pull it out. If it's really obscure or old, that's legit, but for anything standard related you shouldn't need a smartphone to trade. Maybe it is harsh, but if you don't know what your stuff is worth, you should get an idea before trading, as I'd prefer not to spend my time having you figure it out.

Edit: Apparently cavern is at 25 on SCG...so the above trade doesn't really have the same point it did when I posted it, but you can get the picture. I offered a JTMS for 3 cavern of souls a couple weeks back and that was what happened. I used motl pricing and they used SCG.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by oneofchaos on September 02, 2012]

dfitzg88
posted September 02, 2012 08:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by MAB_Rapper:
MOTL is even easier. Copy and paste into excel and then text to columns. Takes 30 seconds.

if only the prices were correct.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League