Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  MOTL Trading breakthrough???

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   MOTL Trading breakthrough???
LNT-Master
posted August 27, 2012 09:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LNT-Master Click Here to Email LNT-Master Send a private message to LNT-Master Click to send LNT-Master an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So I'm like, totally new to all this. The last time I posted any thread was many years ago and I just remember Moderators being not the kindest around. So this thread will probably be locked in no time...

But anyways, my big question....

What in the world does it take to break through to start trading? Can someone check my have/want post to see if I'm doing anything wrong? I'm sure I have a decent list. But of course, my refs are at 0. I've made tons of offers, only one reply has come back. No downsizing either; I typically trade at least 25¢ to a full buck to their benefit. Is there any "etiquette" that I'm missing? Helpful hints would be totally appreciated!

Pail42
posted August 27, 2012 10:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
A lot of traders here (and elsewhere) refuse almost any trade where multiple low value cards are offered for fewer high value cards.

LNT-Master
posted August 27, 2012 10:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LNT-Master Click Here to Email LNT-Master Send a private message to LNT-Master Click to send LNT-Master an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yep I know. No one wants my 7,000 Green Saproling tokens for their one Snapcaster.

I'm trying deals like (for example):

My:
2x Ajani, Caller of the Pride (when it's in their "want" list)
1x Wolfrir Silverheart (when it's in their "want" list)

Their:
3x Aether Vial (when they have it in their "have" list)

Lord Crovax
posted August 27, 2012 10:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
People are often also hesitant to trade Type 2 stuff for Legacy staples, such as in the example you gave.

Boston
posted August 27, 2012 10:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Boston Click Here to Email Boston Send a private message to Boston Click to send Boston an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Boston's Have/Want ListView Boston's Have/Want List
Your list looks well organized, though your wants are very limited. I'm sure you're aware that with 0 refs people will ask that you send first until you establish yourself. If you're uncomfortable with that, perhaps try and trade with people that are long-time members.

When you're replying to people that post on your h/w list, post the reply on their h/w list. I see twice you're responding to people by posting on your own list, they won't see this unless they happen to come back to your list (which they have no reason to).

AGO
posted August 28, 2012 03:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Your list looks good, but you need too remove your total crap rares like Goliath Sphinx. Trading here is just to much work. It would be easier for you to just sell and then purchase those cards. Nobody here is going to trade legacy for T2. If you would rather just trade then refine your list and add more wants and you should get some hits. Also list those good cards you have from your edh decks.

Volcanon
posted August 28, 2012 06:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
Your list looks good, but you need too remove your total crap rares like Goliath Sphinx. Trading here is just to much work. It would be easier for you to just sell and then purchase those cards. Nobody here is going to trade legacy for T2. If you would rather just trade then refine your list and add more wants and you should get some hits. Also list those good cards you have from your edh decks.

Don't list cards in decks. Nobody is going to bend over backwards to trade for your "decked" cards.

LNT-Master
posted August 28, 2012 06:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LNT-Master Click Here to Email LNT-Master Send a private message to LNT-Master Click to send LNT-Master an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Legacy for T2 no-no's... Thanks guys/gals, that's probably the big target I'm missing!

Solidarity
posted August 28, 2012 07:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Solidarity Send a private message to Solidarity Click to send Solidarity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LNT-Master:
Legacy for T2 no-no's... Thanks guys/gals, that's probably the big target I'm missing!

Get rid of anything < $1 from your list, and just put them all, alphabetically, in a "bulk rares" section at the bottom of your list. Makes the list more approachable, and highlights the stuff that people actually want.

nderdog
posted August 28, 2012 07:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Yeah, the main thing is that you need a lot more wants to get any kind of action. People like to make counter-offers or increase the size of a deal, but with such a small list, it's very difficult.

On an unrelated note, if you posted here many years ago, why did you create a new account instead of using your old one?

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

CoupDeGrace
posted August 28, 2012 07:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Depend what T2 stuffs. I might consider doing that for the sake of flipping, then use the cash to get back legacy stuff + left over cash.

JoshSherman
posted August 28, 2012 08:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Yep I know. No one wants my 7,000 Green Saproling tokens for their one Snapcaster.

I'm trying deals like (for example):

My:
2x Ajani, Caller of the Pride (when it's in their "want" list)
1x Wolfrir Silverheart (when it's in their "want" list)

Their:
3x Aether Vial (when they have it in their "have" list)

I'll work with you to make a trade out of this offer. I have three vials to trade you. Email me if you're still interested.

LNT-Master
posted August 28, 2012 11:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LNT-Master Click Here to Email LNT-Master Send a private message to LNT-Master Click to send LNT-Master an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Nderdog: it wasn't "here." I am 100% new to motl. I'm typically a nice person and my postings aren't typically horrible. I just remember blogging back in the early 2000's at various websites. Ya know, sign up and post a thread, for whatever reason a Mod always came in and locked the thread. For example, "this thread has already been answered." but the last comment was 4 years ago and didn't answer my question and yea, god forbid u bring a dead thread back from the grave to tailor your question!! Lolz!

At JoshSherman: this wasn't supposed to be a "trade" thread but alas, I did use a viable example. If u haven't already, pls post on my have/want thread. I'm 98% positive I'll do the trade, but it should really be done there. Plus it helps me more "mainstream" my inventory

coasterdude84
posted August 30, 2012 02:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Boston:
When you're replying to people that post on your h/w list, post the reply on their h/w list. I see twice you're responding to people by posting on your own list, they won't see this unless they happen to come back to your list (which they have no reason to).

I'd like to emphasize this in general. I see this a lot, and I always think to myself, "no way the intended target will ever see this message." People don't come back to lists; it's one and done. If you're doing this at all, this is where you're going wrong.

LNT-Master
posted September 03, 2012 04:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LNT-Master Click Here to Email LNT-Master Send a private message to LNT-Master Click to send LNT-Master an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I put a reply on my own h/w thread to show that I do respond to posts. I also send pm's almost immediately thereafter. I will say holy crap batman! I've been nuts busy on here! Ask and ye shall receive!! 3 trades completed and four more on the chopping block just waiting impatiently for usps to open tomorrow morning! This is way funner than searching SCG, CSI, or eBay, shelling out premium $$$!! (of course I haven't got burnt yet, knock on iPad glass!!)

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League