Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Going to Japan Soon... and A lot.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Going to Japan Soon... and A lot.
JayC
posted August 23, 2012 09:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List

I'll be traveling to Japan quite a bit now with a recent change in my job and want to know if there's opportunities to pick up FOIL / Regular Japanese cards while in Japan easier & cheaper than it is here - essentially, to get things at a premium of course.

Does anyone have any idea if this is a possibility and where I might go to do this? I'll be in Chiba, but can move around in that area a bit, too, and hopefully get some time in Tokyo from time to time, as well.

Thanks in advance.

jshields
posted August 23, 2012 09:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would suggest contacting Michael French on the member list, as I know very little about Magic in Japan, other than pacts supposedly cost somewhat more than in America. He has been there for years and is a very reputable MOTL member, who I have asked advice from and bought quite a few Japanese cards from in the past.

420 N Main St.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 552-2204

Fun-N-Games Facebook Page - Be a Fan!
(Magic Leagues, events, trading, & more!)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fun-N-Games-Hobby-Shoppe

Live @ WV, Blacksburg or Roanoke, VA? Come to FNG!!

Volcanon
posted August 23, 2012 11:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JayC:

I'll be traveling to Japan quite a bit now with a recent change in my job and want to know if there's opportunities to pick up FOIL / Regular Japanese cards while in Japan easier & cheaper than it is here - essentially, to get things at a premium of course.

Does anyone have any idea if this is a possibility and where I might go to do this? I'll be in Chiba, but can move around in that area a bit, too, and hopefully get some time in Tokyo from time to time, as well.

Thanks in advance.

- Yahoo Japan Auction. It's the ebay of Japan. You'll need a Japanese credit card, and a Japanese mailing address, and a way to pay as they often don't accept credit cards. Get a native speaker to help you out, as it's not exactly like ebay.
- Shops will sometimes have underpriced cards, but a lot of them were always absurdly high and they are more attuned to older formats now.
- Where in Chiba? My family-in-law lives in Yachiyo City.

caquaa
posted August 23, 2012 05:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
- Shops will sometimes have underpriced cards, but a lot of them were always absurdly high and they are more attuned to older formats now.

yah, I think more of the savvy traders like grandeur put in a decent amount of effort to locate the gems he does. randomly dropping into the shop and expecting to find something doesn't really happen. When I was there nearly everything was high compared to ebay. There was only 1 gem I found and passed on it cause I wasn't sure... went back and Michael French had bought it, lol.

Volcanon
posted August 23, 2012 11:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
yah, I think more of the savvy traders like grandeur put in a decent amount of effort to locate the gems he does. randomly dropping into the shop and expecting to find something doesn't really happen. When I was there nearly everything was high compared to ebay. There was only 1 gem I found and passed on it cause I wasn't sure... went back and Michael French had bought it, lol.

Shrug, I found a bunch of good stuff in shops, but Japanese people 5 years ago didn't care about anything except T2. If you ask, sometimes a shop will give you a deal on something not in the display case. I got a long run of miscut 4e fbb japanese commons for 10 yen (10 cents) a piece as well as some side-miscut and square corners misprints for cheap just because I asked if they had any misprint cards.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League