Magic Discussion
  Who's Going to Gen-Con? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Who's Going to Gen-Con?
OCDOD
posted August 12, 2012 11:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for OCDOD Click Here to Email OCDOD Send a private message to OCDOD Click to send OCDOD an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This year will be my first time going. Looking forward to playing a little Magic (probably Modern, and a bunch of sealed), and see the HALL OF DEALERS!

Also going to be checking out a reading by Brandon Sanderson (had got separate admission in advance) and playing new board games that look intetesting. If I have time, I'll try to see what else Indianapolis has to offer... museum, zoo, etc. Never been there before.

So, who else here is going to Gen-Con, and what are you looking to do?

AGO
posted August 12, 2012 02:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
I'll be there on Friday only. Hoping to get a bunch of cards signed and some good deals on singles. I've lived in Indy my entire life zo I'm pretty burnt out on doing anything else here. The museums are good and I love taking my kids to the zoo.

hilikuS
posted August 13, 2012 07:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Got a hotel for all 4 days.

moxdiamd
posted August 13, 2012 07:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for moxdiamd Click Here to Email moxdiamd Send a private message to moxdiamd Click to send moxdiamd an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'll be there all four days. Going to be hopefully expanding on my phyrexian negator collection. Oh yeah...and playing some games.

Zakman86
posted August 13, 2012 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zakman86's Have/Want ListView Zakman86's Have/Want List
Going, getting drunk, playing EDH, the works.

Animosity
posted August 13, 2012 12:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Animosity Click Here to Email Animosity Send a private message to Animosity Click to send Animosity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I will be there like every year.

BernieB
posted August 13, 2012 01:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BernieB Click Here to Email BernieB Send a private message to BernieB Click to send BernieB an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View BernieB's Have/Want ListView BernieB's Have/Want List
I will be there! Looking forward to seeing a lot of you, BRING YOUR STONE RAINS!

implode
posted August 13, 2012 05:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
If anyone can get me some dragons signed, that would be pretty tremendous. I know its a lot to ask for with long lines and everything. Think it would be pretty sweet to eventually get one of every dragon type signed.

FleeceItOut
posted August 13, 2012 06:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for FleeceItOut Click Here to Email FleeceItOut Send a private message to FleeceItOut Click to send FleeceItOut an Instant MessageVisit FleeceItOut's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
maybe next year

BernieB
posted August 14, 2012 05:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for BernieB Click Here to Email BernieB Send a private message to BernieB Click to send BernieB an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View BernieB's Have/Want ListView BernieB's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by implode:
If anyone can get me some dragons signed, that would be pretty tremendous. I know its a lot to ask for with long lines and everything. Think it would be pretty sweet to eventually get one of every dragon type signed.

Any idea what artists might be there signing cards?

oneofchaos
posted August 14, 2012 05:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Anyone up to meet up at some point fri/sat/sun?

AGO
posted August 14, 2012 05:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by BernieB:
I will be there! Looking forward to seeing a lot of you, BRING YOUR STONE RAINS!

If I get a chance I think I can get you a small stack of em!

moxdiamd
posted August 14, 2012 05:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for moxdiamd Click Here to Email moxdiamd Send a private message to moxdiamd Click to send moxdiamd an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/art_show/entry313873.aspx

Soldier Boi
posted August 14, 2012 09:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I planned on going until someone hit my car. If I can get it back by this weekend I will go.

BernieB
posted August 14, 2012 01:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BernieB Click Here to Email BernieB Send a private message to BernieB Click to send BernieB an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View BernieB's Have/Want ListView BernieB's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
Anyone up to meet up at some point fri/sat/sun?

That sounds cool!

trying2playagain
Banned
posted August 15, 2012 09:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for trying2playagain Click Here to Email trying2playagain Send a private message to trying2playagain Click to send trying2playagain an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
not sure yet the only day i could go would be thursday. Was hopeing someone can give me some info.

1 Are there any dealers who sell russian foils?
2 Are there any sealed events early on thursday?

If any one knows please send me a e-mail

on vaction through thursday. Get back to in. today, but have to be at work at midnight on friday. So just want to see if it's worth the time and gas for me to drive down there

davef139
posted August 15, 2012 01:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for davef139 Click Here to Email davef139 Send a private message to davef139 Click to send davef139 an Instant MessageVisit davef139's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think ill be going still waiting to see if hotel space opens!

AGO
posted August 18, 2012 05:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Wow found a retailer selling foil proxy P9. So classy....

moxdiamd
posted August 20, 2012 10:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for moxdiamd Click Here to Email moxdiamd Send a private message to moxdiamd Click to send moxdiamd an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Good times at GenCon!! Got to meet Mr. Stone Rain himself BernieB (Dan). Expanded on the Negator collection a little. Got a bunch of cards signed. And played in tournament which I havent done in too many years. Fun!

TimeBeing
posted August 20, 2012 11:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
Wow found a retailer selling foil proxy P9. So classy....

Gaming Etc proxies or printed ones?

AGO
posted August 20, 2012 11:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by TimeBeing:
Gaming Etc proxies or printed ones?

Clearly printed ones. I don't remember who, I would have to look at a map of the event hall. They were around $10 each.

OCDOD
posted August 20, 2012 01:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for OCDOD Click Here to Email OCDOD Send a private message to OCDOD Click to send OCDOD an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So this was my first Gen-Con. Overall the Con itself was awesome, games, people, vendors. But there were some definite highs and lows.

Highs
- Meeting the game designers from Crash Games. Two really cool guys from AZ who demo-ed three of their games for us until past 1:00 in the morning. This one is for a Hive-like game, which was awesome. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/111866/rise
- First row seating for Brian Sanderson reading the prologue from A Memory of Light! (Last book of Wheel of Time for those of you not keeping track.)
- Trying out probably two dozen different board games, and meeting lots of great people. I played a great set of Magic with a nice guy from Japan. Spoke almost no English but all three games went smoothly as we gestured the way through the match.
- Buying a bunch of different games & Magic stuff - special art sleeves, cards, binders, etc.
- Eating at Fogo de Chao. All you can eat steaks/pork chops/chicken/lamb/veal was a perfect ending to everything Sunday night.

Lows
- Super Sealed. My table got product 30 minutes after everyone else. Pastimes organizers / judges were super disorganized. Some people started registering the cards from the 8 different Standard packs, before TO's realized they ALSO didn't have enough copies of decksheets for everyone. They gave up more than an hour after we started... no passing, just keep what you bust.
- Ramada. Very run down place, looks nothing like the pictures on the web. Two fire alarms on two consecutive nights. But that was nothing compared to the BEDBUGS!
I awoke Friday morning my blood on the sheets where they bit me, and about a dozen on my pillow!
I will say the shift manager we dealt with was decent. Apologizes profusely, dry cleaned all our clothes and suitcases / backpacks for free, then comped us the whole weekend in a different room (seeing as we couldn't go anywhere else... with the Con in town).
But it got worse when they tried to bill us the last day! The hotel manager (shift manager's boss I guess) thought we didn't deserve to be comped for 3 nights, only 1. Seeing as they had promised us the entire weekend, we told them we weren't paying a thing. Trying to re-neg on their word ALMOST as bad as the bed bugs.

I will never go there again, probably no more Ramada's either. I shall avoid this place like the plague:
Ramada I-70 East Indianapolis
6990 East 21st Street, Indianapolis, IN 46219 US

And if I bring them home with me I will be so miffed!

EDIT: UBB tag, link

[Edited 2 times, lastly by OCDOD on August 20, 2012]

ryan2754
posted August 20, 2012 01:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
Yeah, East Indy isn't the greatest place to begin with.

hilikuS
posted August 21, 2012 11:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
12 hour drive from NY was horrible. Getting there, amazing.

Eatin steak at the Ram, amazing .

Drafts were awesome because you could play a ton of them (single elim). I agree with OCDOD that Pastimes staff was really screwy in the early going, they seemed to straighten things out as the con went on though.

Dealer room was like super huge from when I went in 2010, and was pretty awesome all around. Got some neat stuff there.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites, which was pretty close to the center. Like a 5-10 minute walk depending on how many blisters from walking, lol. Good times all around .

BernieB
posted August 23, 2012 03:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BernieB Click Here to Email BernieB Send a private message to BernieB Click to send BernieB an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View BernieB's Have/Want ListView BernieB's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by moxdiamd:
Good times at GenCon!! Got to meet Mr. Stone Rain himself BernieB (Dan). Expanded on the Negator collection a little. Got a bunch of cards signed. And played in tournament which I havent done in too many years. Fun!

Great finally meeting you, too, Glen!
Dan

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League