Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Binder placement

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Binder placement
southparker2002
posted August 18, 2012 06:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
This is kinda dumb but I've always been torn whether to put multi-colored artifacts in my binder with the multicolored stuff or artifact stuff. Like Sphinx of the Steel Wind, where would you put it in your binder?

coolio
posted August 18, 2012 06:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
multi color.. it strikes people to remember the border's gold vs it being an artifact

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

mm1983
posted August 18, 2012 06:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Stuff like phyrexian metamorph and birthing pod I put with their colors instead of with artifacts too.

stab107
posted August 18, 2012 09:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I file the same as these gentlemen above. It isn't a dumb question, either. It would have been a dumb question if you didn't ask .

caquaa
posted August 18, 2012 09:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
multi color.. it strikes people to remember the border's gold vs it being an artifact

yuuuup. The real question is where do you place eldrazi, especially considering there aren't exactly that many that make the binder.

LemonMeringue
posted August 18, 2012 09:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
Gold and colored artifacts go with their colors, eldrazi go with colorless artifacts.

It only makes sense, since artifact is just a card type, like sorcery or creature. In the past it was sorted separate from colored cards because they were all colorless, but now that it's not, the illusion of sorting cards by colors and artifacts is broken. We all should remove our blinders and realize we've only been sorting cards by color all these years, it just so happened that only artifacts were colorless. Now, we do the same, there are just other colorless cards now, and some artifacts are with colored cards now.

The only cards I separate by card type are lands.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

jshields
posted August 19, 2012 07:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Normally, when I hire a couple of contracted employees and I work to sort our store binder inventory for cards, this is how we normally do things:

1. Sort cards by colors:
We normally sort our card colors (based on mana symbols) in our binders in the following way:

~~~Artifacts // Colorless Spells & Blue Spells

~~~Lands & Gold (Multi-Color) // Hybrid Mana // Split 2-color cards (ex. Crime // Punishment)

~~~~Black & Red Cards (Only mono-Black or Mono-Red, no multicolored Black nor Red cards)

~~~Green & White Cards (Only mono-Green or Mono-White, no multicolored Green nor White cards)

2. Sort all cards for binders by their Block // Promo Set

~~~I normally consider Magic 2010-Magic 2013 their own block, 6th Edition-10th Edition their own block, Revised - 6th edition their own block, Alpha / Beta / Unlimited their own block, Arabian Nights / Legends / Antiquities their own block, and Promo Printings (IE From the Vault, FNM, etc...) their own block. This is in addition to cards from true block sets to make finding cards easier.

~~~Often, once you sort cards by block, I would highly suggest placing the most current sets in the front of each color section, and progress cards there to the very back, which would have the very oldest cards.

3. Debulk the Binder Pages

~~~I suggest only placing cards worth $2.00-$3.00 or more based on MOTL pricing in your binders and would keep all bulk junk rares and foils in their own separate row box. This will make trading way easier so that anyone you trade with does not have to sort through a bunch of unplayable rares before finding good trades.

4. Save Space in your binder

This can easily be done by placing multiple copies of the same card in the same pocket per page. I highly suggest using both the front of each pocket to show off all your cards without your requiring to buy more pages than necessary. Most people, including myself, seem to find that each pocket holds about 5-7 cards.

Last but not least, if you choose to organize in this fashion, most people with 1000 cards or less in their binders can probably get this done within 3 hours or less. If you are someone that runs a Magic store with around 6000-7000 cards in your binders, like myself, then getting this done with a friend may take a day or 2 to get done. If a friend does help you out with this, it is often really nice to thank them by giving them some free cards or taking them out to eat when done!

420 N Main St.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 552-2204

Fun-N-Games Facebook Page - Be a Fan!
(Magic Leagues, events, trading, & more!)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fun-N-Games-Hobby-Shoppe

Live @ WV, Blacksburg or Roanoke, VA? Come to FNG!!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jshields on August 19, 2012]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League