Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Are these Power 9 cards fake ? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Are these Power 9 cards fake ?
MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 12:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Here are some scans of my recently bought Power 9 cards and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on them being real or fake.

Ancestral Recall Front:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo68/hammer_din/8-11-2012101407PM.jpg
Back of card next to a real Brainstorm:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo68/hammer_din/8-11-2012102022PM.jpg
Mox Sapphire Front:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo68/hammer_din/8-11-2012101647PM.jpg

I have performed many test and even the bend test and they passed.

Sharkey
posted August 12, 2012 01:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sharkey Click Here to Email Sharkey Send a private message to Sharkey Click to send Sharkey an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Those look fake to me. Where'd you get them from?

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 01:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I got them from some guy for 43 shipped he said they are fakes but I have my doubts since it passes the bend test, light test, water test,and it even has a blue line in the center.
I took them to my LGS and they said that they thought it was fakes also because of the feel which was before I performed the bend test which it later passed.

stu55
posted August 12, 2012 01:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If they passed the light test I doubt they are rebacked CE.

I would get a microscope and check out the ink pattern, that is usually the best way, or rip it in half

thror
posted August 12, 2012 01:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by stu55:

I would get a microscope and check out the ink pattern, that is usually the best way, or rip it in half

Ive never seen white bordered CE....

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Basaka
posted August 12, 2012 01:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Basaka Click Here to Email Basaka Send a private message to Basaka Click to send Basaka an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Basaka's Have/Want ListView Basaka's Have/Want List
The ink pattern looks more like crosses than circles, and the colouration seems pretty off. They look pretty fake to me...

hammr7
posted August 12, 2012 04:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hammr7 Click Here to Email hammr7 Send a private message to hammr7 Click to send hammr7 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As you check the light test, make sure you are comparing the suspect cards with Unlimited cards of the same color. Copies of the exact cards would be best, but at least have cards of the same color and compare the amount of light passing through on similar areas (such as text boxes).

Unlimited cards, because of the typical color depth, will pass light differently than Revised or later sets. And the light test requires that the suspect both pass light and pass it at the same relative "brightness" as similar cards in the same set.

I have come across great counterfeits of Unlimited cards, and have written about them on these pages. The best passed virtually every test, and passed light. They just passed the wrong amount of light.

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 04:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah I did it with a old brainstorm I had laying around so it might not pass the light test.
There is also the black light test which I have not performed since I don't own a black light.
I can allways still sell them as proxies at best or is that illegal ?

caquaa
posted August 12, 2012 04:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
Look like cards that were blanked and then reprinted. I'd assume they don't have the same gloss on the front like most cards in nice condition do or perhaps an excessive amount (I use a sealer when I print something).

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 04:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I can take regular pics with my cam showing the shine if you like. I really think they are real but am to scared to send them in because I won't get them back if their fakes, then I wont be able to use them as proxies for casual play.

thror
posted August 12, 2012 05:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by MTG TMS:
I can take regular pics with my cam showing the shine if you like. I really think they are real but am to scared to send them in because I won't get them back if their fakes, then I wont be able to use them as proxies for casual play.

As far as i am aware, you cant 'send them in', because WotC doesnt have a card authenticating service. You would have to get them checked by an independent 3rd party, and seeing as it is not their property, they cannot legally keep it.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 05:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Oh that may work, and someone on another site said you can send them to WotC but they might be wrong idk.

Mr.C
posted August 12, 2012 05:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Upload 600dpi scans and it will be easier to say for sure.

But it looks like you paid $43 for some not very good fakes.

Edit: Text looks really blurry, but it could be a bad scan.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Mr.C on August 12, 2012]

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 06:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Why do you say not very good fakes ? In person they are great plus it's not a sure thing they are fakes.
Also I can't upload 600dpi scans my scanner isn't that good I don't think.

Tha Gunslinga
posted August 12, 2012 06:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
If he TOLD YOU they were fakes, they're fake. They look a little off to me, but I'd have to see them to be certain.

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 06:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Well he also said they wouldn't pass the bend test but they both did so that's why I even double checked to be sure.

Myy
posted August 12, 2012 06:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
sned them to slinga , he can tell you, and will return them.( as long as you supply him the shipping cost)

Tha Gunslinga
posted August 12, 2012 07:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Myy:
sned them to slinga , he can tell you, and will return them.( as long as you supply him the shipping cost)

I'd prefer not to, since these are obviously fake and it would be a waste of his money and my time.

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 07:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Well thanks for your input guys and don't worry about me trying to sell them or anything. I guess they are fake but I just wanted them for casual play anyway.

Mr.C
posted August 12, 2012 07:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
Well thanks for your input guys and don't worry about me trying to sell them or anything. I guess they are fake but I just wanted them for casual play anyway.

Just do a 600 DPI scan. Any scanner can do it. The printing pattern will tell.

coolio
posted August 12, 2012 08:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well he also said they wouldn't pass the bend test but they both did so that's why I even double checked to be sure.

i'm not sure you think you know what you're doing.. or know what you're looking for.. nor probably how to do a bend test.. or understand the stresses the card exhibits under that test..

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

dwiz
posted August 12, 2012 08:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by stu55:

lol

MTG TMS
posted August 12, 2012 08:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
To bend test you touch all corners of the card and if it goes back to it's original shape and has no creases it's real or a really good fake.
Also I just did a 600 dpi scan and a 1200 dpi scan and I saw a circular printing pattern.
Trying to upload the scans now.
Can someone tell me a good place to upload scans with this much dpi ?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MTG TMS on August 12, 2012]

Myy
posted August 13, 2012 06:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
quote:
To bend test you touch all corners of the card and if it goes back to it's original shape and has no creases it's real or a really good fake.
Also I just did a 600 dpi scan and a 1200 dpi scan and I saw a circular printing pattern.
Trying to upload the scans now.
Can someone tell me a good place to upload scans with this much dpi ?

have you tried photobucket or flicker?

MTG TMS
posted August 13, 2012 10:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTG TMS Send a private message to MTG TMS Click to send MTG TMS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have done both but it wouldn't upload at the size you need to see the patterns of circles I can send anyone interested an email that would like to see.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League