Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Tradelist format

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tradelist format
Myysterio
posted February 12, 2009 12:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List
It has come to my attention, albeit 4 years late that you can format your trade list to make the trade matcher match sets.

The proper format is the number you want, followed by the card name and then the set abbreviation in parenthesis.
## <Cardname> (SET)

If you set a card up properly, it would look like this:
3 Consecrate Land (TSB)

If you want or have cards from multiple sets with the same name, you will need to post it separate times.
Stream of Life (A)
Stream of Life (B)
[FOIL] Stream of Life [/FOIL] (7th)
[FOIL] Stream of Life [/FOIL] (8th)
[FOIL] Stream of Life [/FOIL] (9th)

If you have the set listed on your trade list, the trade matcher will still find alternate versions, it will just post the set of the card next to the cards name. For example, if you want to search for alpha mountains and put "4 Mountain (A)" and someone does not have Alpha mountains but have some other set listed [example is beta] the trade matcher will say Mountain (B) if they have beta or Mountain (ALA), which is the latest set printed with that card in it, if they do not put a set next to it.

A lot of people have their trade lists set up wrong, but it fixes a problem if the people who know what they are doing fix their lists. It doesn't fix the problem entirely but at least you know what it has before you gotta start searching lists card by card.

I have a mostly accurate list of set abbreviations here:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcjqsj2c_0c9wx4qff

Please let me know if any of them need to be changed and I will update it.

My list is here if you want to see what it looks like set up:
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/231163.html

I would also suggest you identify your haves and wants somehow if you have a list longer than one page. It would be beneficial for people while they search through your cards. I use bold around my "wants."

If there any suggestions or changes that need to be made to this post let me know. I have not yet gathered up all the information. If anyone needs me I will be in #motl and #mtgtrade.

[Edited 12 times, lastly by Myysterio on July 06, 2010]

Aznopium
posted February 12, 2009 12:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
thanks for posting this
+1

Myysterio
posted February 12, 2009 12:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List
Oh yes, If you have the set listed on your trade list, the trade matcher will still find alternate versions, it will just post the set of the card next to the cards name. For instance, if you want to search for alpha mountains and put "4 Mountain (A)" and someone does not have Alpha mountains but have some other set listed [example is beta] the trade matcher will say Mountain (B) or Mountain (ALA) which is the latest set printed with that card in it. But at least you know what it has before you gotta start searching lists card by card.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Myysterio on February 12, 2009]

Myysterio
posted February 12, 2009 01:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List
Microsoft Excel or a similar spreadsheet program make trade listing easy. You can copy/paste most of this stuff in and save yourself a boatload of time.

You can use word or works, but putting in sets and detail information is much more difficult to change.

Myysterio
posted February 13, 2009 10:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List
Update

Myysterio
posted July 16, 2009 04:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List
updated

stu55
posted December 07, 2010 12:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
reminder time

AlmostGrown
posted December 07, 2010 08:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
Is there any way for me to just mark a whole list of cards as one set (in my case, revised)?

yakusoku
posted December 08, 2010 10:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AlmostGrown:
Is there any way for me to just mark a whole list of cards as one set (in my case, revised)?

If you take Myysterio's advice and put everything into Excel, you can make three columns, with column A being the quantity, column B being the name, and column C being the set.

For column C, you can type in "(Revised)" once and then pull down on the bottom right corner of the cell to copy and paste the same value for the whole set of cards that are Revised.

Then, you can just copy and paste all three columns from Excel.

Myysterio
posted June 11, 2012 03:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List

Akarius
posted June 16, 2012 05:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Akarius Click Here to Email Akarius Send a private message to Akarius Click to send Akarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Also, if you want something list but you don't want the trade matcher to see it, you can use the exclude tag like this:
code:

[exclude]99 Scrubland (RV)[/exclude]

AGO
posted September 12, 2012 04:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
up

Avai-annes
posted September 15, 2012 11:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Avai-annes Send a private message to Avai-annes Click to send Avai-annes an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Avai-annes's Have/Want ListView Avai-annes's Have/Want List
When I started inventorying my trade binder via spreadsheet, I originally had three columns but found I could sort better using more, and now use 7 columns (listed below).

Putting the tags in a different column than the card name, makes auto-suggest easier (for every column), makes sorting alphabetically easier by making the spreadsheet do it, and makes it easier to correct for coding errors (missing tags), plus your list looks better when done.

Here's how I use the columns:

Col 1: QTY
Col 2: Condition
Col 3: Start tags - foil or exclude
Col 4: Card Title
Col 5: End tags - foil or exclude
Col 6: Print Run/Set
Col 7: Language

I use brackets instead of parentheses, but I'm not sure if there is much of a difference. I've noticed that certain cards aren't differentiated (FNM vs pack foils for example) in the search results when the price guide doesn't have it available for search.

quote:
Originally posted by yakusoku:
If you take Myysterio's advice and put everything into Excel, you can make three columns, with column A being the quantity, column B being the name, and column C being the set.

For column C, you can type in "(Revised)" once and then pull down on the bottom right corner of the cell to copy and paste the same value for the whole set of cards that are Revised.

Then, you can just copy and paste all three columns from Excel.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Avai-annes on September 15, 2012]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League