Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  MTGO set redemptions, worth it?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   MTGO set redemptions, worth it?
MagicPatty
posted June 23, 2012 10:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
Is it worth while and profitable to open the classifieds and just outright buy all the cards from a set, then set redeem, then get the paper cards to sell / trade?
Anyone ever do this?

I mean, just look at AVR modo prices vs. what you can get for the card IRL...

Silverblade Paladin 1 -> 4
Wolfir Silverheart 1 -> 4
Cavern of Souls 7 -> 20
Griselbrand 5 -> 11
Avacyn 2 -> 10
Sigarda 3 -> 8
Gisela 2 -> 7
Temporal Mastery 7 -> 11
Vexing Devil 1 -> 5

Bonfire, Entreat, and Tamiyo seem to go even from one to the other, but the list above has room to make 50 bucks, not counting the bulk rares that you get for basically free online and might be able to get fifty cents or a dollar for.

Seems like its profitable, maybe I'm missing something?

I'll hang up and listen to what you guys have to say.

flophaus
posted June 23, 2012 11:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Factored in the shipping costs yet?

MagicPatty
posted June 23, 2012 11:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
I don't recall, but I think it's like ten bucks through Wizards to ship it out to you, then I would guess that sending to a couple different sellers could be another 10 bucks or so...

Soldier Boi
posted June 23, 2012 02:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think its worth it if you plan on playing standard, you get a lot of useful cards. Its how I started back into magic. I redeemed 4 complete sets of SOM. Gives you enough cards to build a good standard deck. Plus a lot of trade stuff. The shipping was the same for 4x complete sets as it was for 2x. If you plan on selling I would buy more than one set. I think on average you only get 35 dollars per complete set extra not including shipping.

WeedIan
posted June 23, 2012 04:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Its very worth it if you live in the states. Foil sets even more so.

11th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Zeckk
posted June 23, 2012 07:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
Its very worth it if you live in the states. Foil sets even more so.

This. The margins are too small to make it something worth living on (I think the revenue per hour is something akin to minimum wage), but it's definitely a great way to accumulate a bunch of trade bait.

If you want to think really long term, it certainly doesn't hurt to keep the redemption sets unopened and in pristine condition for collectors down the road.

Jtrade77
posted June 23, 2012 09:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jtrade77 Send a private message to Jtrade77 Click to send Jtrade77 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you use buybots to accumulate cards, I hear it's like a small second income. That factors in trading for cards, paying for redemption, and ebay time.

That said I don't have bots, but I've been pleased everytime I redeem an MTGO set and sell it at a profit. That's just from drafting a lot.

MagicPatty
posted June 24, 2012 11:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
I've heard that a bot costs a couple thousand dollars... how much can one expect to earn monthly from their bot, and anyone have a genuine idea of what a bot costs?
Anyone on motl have a bot?

trying2playagain
Banned
posted June 24, 2012 02:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for trying2playagain Click Here to Email trying2playagain Send a private message to trying2playagain Click to send trying2playagain an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't see a lot of activity from him but fatguypoolshark owns a chain of bots. mtgolibrary has cheap slow bots. IF you are looking for a good fast reliable bot and can catch him on line talk with belgarth. He programed the bots for cardnexus, sharpbot, belbot witch are his own and at least one other chain.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League