Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Which to acquire first?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Which to acquire first?
Soldier Boi
posted August 02, 2012 10:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I sold my MTGO collection now I want to get real cards to build a deck for SCG Indy (October). Which would be better to start off with duals and fetches or spells? Or should I get half and half.

Hooskdaddy
posted August 02, 2012 10:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Honestly you should buy the duals first as theyve been on a slight decline in recent months. Usually when this happens they pick back up and show a steady 10-20% increase in value.

Zeckk
posted August 02, 2012 07:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Hooskdaddy:
Honestly you should buy the duals first as theyve been on a slight decline in recent months. Usually when this happens they pick back up and show a steady 10-20% increase in value.

100% disagree.

First things first - If you have friends, see what you can borrow and what you can't. I'm assuming that at this point you already know what deck(s) you are going to play. If you don't, figure it out before you even get to the point of buying cards. This also means testing the deck with proxies and tuning the deck so you aren't purchasing cards that won't be in the deck a week from now.

Second - Once you know what you can borrow, figure out what you can trade for if you already have cards for trade.

Third - When you are buying the cards, keep in mind a couple of factors - Are you going to keep playing the deck after this event? Do you care about condition of the cards? If the budget is a concern, are there suitable replacement cards in the card pool, i.e. Pact of Negation vs. Force of Will?

Hooskdaddy
posted August 03, 2012 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Zeckk

While that may all be true...thats not the question he asked. He asked which cards to pick up.

WeedIan
posted August 03, 2012 08:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Always the lands.

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

CoupDeGrace
posted August 03, 2012 09:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
lands are definitely better choice. Period.

hilikuS
posted August 03, 2012 10:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
They're also probably the best investment (lands).

solistar
posted August 05, 2012 11:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for solistar Click Here to Email solistar Send a private message to solistar Click to send solistar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yep, always get your duals 1st.

I'd also start with cards that you need that are on the "do not print list" since they can not reprint those they are not likely to ever go down in value. The only exception is if its banned

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League