Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What is the best way to turn my standard cards into legacy one? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What is the best way to turn my standard cards into legacy one?
2austin5
posted August 04, 2012 07:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
Ive been trying to trade much of my standard stuff for modern, legacy and have been having trouble because none wants to make the trades. Is my best bet to just sell the cards and buy what I need? Any creative suggestions?

thror
posted August 04, 2012 07:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
Nothing i can really say beyond sell them and buy what you need. Lots of people want 10-20% more just because your stuff is standard, even though selling it and buying what you want will maybe cost you 5% in shipping and a little hassle.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

AGO
posted August 04, 2012 08:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
Nothing i can really say beyond sell them and buy what you need. Lots of people want 10-20% more just because your stuff is standard, even though selling it and buying what you want will maybe cost you 5% in shipping and a little hassle.

QFT!

I basically stopped trading last year because it is so hard to get a trade with just standard stuff. Found out it so much easier just to sell and then buy what I want. 3 Bonfire of the Dammned = Mana Drain cash wise, but if you try to make that trade people just want more because it's standard.

Thanos
posted August 04, 2012 08:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Your best bet is going to a GP or event with a lot Dealers and trading the standard stuff in towards the older stuff you want.

This is unless selling your cards on here or eBay is an option.

oneofchaos
posted August 04, 2012 08:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
QFT!

I basically stopped trading last year because it is so hard to get a trade with just standard stuff. Found out it so much easier just to sell and then buy what I want. 3 Bonfire of the Dammned = Mana Drain cash wise, but if you try to make that trade people just want more because it's standard.

Thanks to idiots like Medina and Brian Grewe even when I try to trade at my LGS, everyone tries to convince me that the bulk rare I'm shooting for will be essential in the next deck and is going to double in value. I've never had so many bad trades in my career of playing magic as I have in the past year. Just easier to work a little harder and buy things.

lordofthepit23
posted August 04, 2012 09:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for lordofthepit23 Click Here to Email lordofthepit23 Send a private message to lordofthepit23 Click to send lordofthepit23 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Your best bet is to sell away your Standard cards for Legacy cards, even if you have to do it at a slight premium. If you go to a dealer, you may end up having to pay 20-50% in premium, depending on the cards in question. That's much preferable to going to a Legacy-only player like myself (who will only make a trade if I can make a profit after selling the Standard pile to a local shop at buylist prices and buying back the Legacy cards I need). However, your best bet is to find some Standard players who are in need of the cards in question (like at a large tournament), although this does take a bit of work.

choco man
posted August 04, 2012 09:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by thror:

C'mon...let's not act like people aren't going to ask you 10-20% off just b/c they're buying your stuff either.

oneofchaos
posted August 04, 2012 09:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
C'mon...let's not act like people aren't going to ask you 10-20% off just b/c they're buying your stuff either.

Easier to get a cash discount than a trade discount these days, at least for me.

Mr.C
posted August 05, 2012 01:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
QFT!

Would you trade a Drain straight across for 3 Bonfires?

WeedIan
posted August 05, 2012 02:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:

I would, you can rid yourself of that bonfire in seconds

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Zeckk
posted August 05, 2012 03:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
I would, you can rid yourself of that bonfire in seconds

So true haha.

quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
Easier to get a cash discount than a trade discount these days, at least for me.

Not really. Trade standard for legacy/modern-playable standard (foil delvers, foil/regular snapcasters, foil elesh norn, griselbrands, etc.), then convert that into older legacy stuff. I've done it repeatedly. The easiest trade I made in a long time was buying a playset of Sword of War and Peace before they spiked at 40 a pop, traded them for JTMS, snapcasters, and foil delvers when I was done using them, then converted those cards in to the older stuff like pernicious deeds, thoughtseizes, and other goodies.

I also have a rather hard time believing that local trades are really that difficult. If your local scene is really small, it could be an issue, but I've never had an issue trading fastlands or huntmasters for things like stoneforge mystics, onslaught fetches, ichorids, etc.

2austin5
posted August 05, 2012 08:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
So overall, the best bet looks to be sell then buy. I appreciate all of the different outlooks on things guys, thank you!

Bagbokk
posted August 05, 2012 09:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sell then buy is easier, yeah. I mean, you could do what Zeckk did, but then you're making two trades to get to where you want, which becomes the same kind of work you're doing selling then buying (both requiring two transactions) and you don't have to go through the hassle of finding someone with those types of cards, etc.

I somewhat understand why people are so reluctant to trade Legacy for Standard because Legacy stuff keeps its values, but if I'm looking at selling cards, 3 Bonfires will probably sell within a day while a Mana Drain might take a month to sell given the relative demand.

Well, assuming 3 Bonfires = 1 Drain in terms of value.

Demilio
posted August 05, 2012 09:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Bonfire is probably the easiest card to trade currently

oneofchaos
posted August 05, 2012 10:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
I hard time believing that local trades are really that difficult. If your local scene is really small, it could be an issue, but I've never had an issue trading fastlands or huntmasters for things like stoneforge mystics, onslaught fetches, ichorids, etc.

I'm glad you don't suffer from my issue. Where I grew up in Connecticut, I loved the store. The owner would frequently try to sell things cheaper to me because I frequently would purge my collection of uncommons/commons/crap rares and just donate them flat across to the shop for newer players. He even gave me a Beta fastbond for 5 dollars on the condition I never sell it. Still sitting right here.

Now I am in Illinois, everyone believes they are Medina. Legacy is smaller in my store, but a ton of Legacy playables are also EDH playables. The shop prices at SCG prices, and I constantly avoid buying from them when possible. I've been able to get some better discounts by threatening to take my business to MOTL and proving prices are indeed much cheaper (ex: Turned 2 restoration angel @13 each into 10 each, when I showed him people selling for 8).
Maybe it's just the Illinois (specifically Peoria) area that is full of scrooges, but trading is not fun. I'll literally waste away a good half hour on a less than twenty dollar trade and have somebody try to add in 4 daze because I have so many (I collect).

Harmless
posted August 05, 2012 01:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Harmless Click Here to Email Harmless Send a private message to Harmless Click to send Harmless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:

Would you quote someone and ironically strengthen their point?

oneofchaos
posted August 05, 2012 02:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harmless:

Unless you deal with magic cards on a daily/weekly basis, there is a need for that % charge from standard to legacy. If you trade for standard cards, you can expect them to go down while legacy cards will remain stable or increase (this is noticing the trend on average, exceptions will occur).

TLDR: If you deal with magic frequently no % upcharge necessary, otherwise it is.

Solidarity
posted August 05, 2012 02:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Solidarity Send a private message to Solidarity Click to send Solidarity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Cards --> cash --> cards

Also, if anyone wants to unload 3 Bonfires for my ITL Mana Drain -- HIT ME UP. Heck I've got a VG English one I'll toss your way for 3 Bonfires.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Solidarity on August 05, 2012]

MAB_Rapper
posted August 06, 2012 04:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Solidarity:
Cards --> cash --> cards

Also, if anyone wants to unload 3 Bonfires for my ITL Mana Drain -- HIT ME UP. Heck I've got a VG English one I'll toss your way for 3 Bonfires.

Of course you would, because Mana Drains have tanked lately as they are not being used in Vintage.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

caquaa
posted August 06, 2012 06:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by MAB_Rapper:
Of course you would, because Mana Drains have tanked lately as they are not being used in Vintage.

if by "tanked" you mean floating around 90-100 on recent ebay auctions, then yes. They've been lower then this in the recent past, so I'd say they are doing okay. EDH, and to a lesser extend vintage and cube, likely keeps them afloat

MAB_Rapper
posted August 06, 2012 06:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
if by "tanked" you mean floating around 90-100 on recent ebay auctions, then yes. They've been lower then this in the recent past, so I'd say they are doing okay. EDH, and to a lesser extend vintage and cube, likely keeps them afloat

Italian Mana Drains haven't been 90-100 since I've been playing Vintage.

But since you probably won't believe me, have fun:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?LH_Auction=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=italian+mana+drain&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

CoupDeGrace
posted August 06, 2012 07:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I will rather cash out the standard cards, then use the cash to buy legacy cards. After getting these cards, most likely you have leftover cash.

mm1983
posted August 06, 2012 11:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by CoupDeGrace:

I will rather cash out the standard cards, then use the cash to buy legacy cards. After getting these cards, most likely you have leftover cash.

This seems to be true for me as well. People are more inclined to sell their legacy cards for cheaper than what they will trade them for. In a trade situation, people with the high end legacy/vintage cards always want 20-25% extra value against the standard cards. In other words, to get a $100 legacy/vintage card you would need to put up $120-125 worth of standard cards to get it where you could sell those cards for the same money then buy the $100 card for possibly $80-90.

coasterdude84
posted August 06, 2012 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
To parrot what others have said, best way to go from Standard to Legacy is sell then buy.

quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
I'm glad you don't suffer from my issue. Where I grew up in Connecticut, I loved the store. The owner would frequently try to sell things cheaper to me because I frequently would purge my collection of uncommons/commons/crap rares and just donate them flat across to the shop for newer players. He even gave me a Beta fastbond for 5 dollars on the condition I never sell it. Still sitting right here.

Now I am in Illinois, everyone believes they are Medina. Legacy is smaller in my store, but a ton of Legacy playables are also EDH playables. The shop prices at SCG prices, and I constantly avoid buying from them when possible. I've been able to get some better discounts by threatening to take my business to MOTL and proving prices are indeed much cheaper (ex: Turned 2 restoration angel @13 each into 10 each, when I showed him people selling for 8).
Maybe it's just the Illinois (specifically Peoria) area that is full of scrooges, but trading is not fun. I'll literally waste away a good half hour on a less than twenty dollar trade and have somebody try to add in 4 daze because I have so many (I collect).

It's better up north. When I lived in P-Town, it was pretty much the same way (I remember my buddy paying $2 apiece for Blanchwood Armors). I'd suggest to play a little more hardball with everyone. If you have something they want, they'll cave.

Mr.C
posted August 06, 2012 01:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Harmless:

Strengthen what? I play Legacy and some Vintage. I also don't trade frequently. In a year, an English Drain will still be $90-$100. Bet three Bonfires won't.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Mr.C on August 06, 2012]

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League