Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Drafting Tips

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Drafting Tips
Kujamune
posted March 31, 2013 09:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kujamune Click Here to Email Kujamune Send a private message to Kujamune Click to send Kujamune an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

So I haven't played magic since the first Mirrodin block, and not since Prophecy/Invasion before that, so 7-8 years?

A couple of my bandmates and I realized we've all played in the past and have gone to a couple of local drafts for Gatecrash the last few weeks just for fun.

When playing before, I didn't draft much, coupled with the fact that I'm still super rusty in playing, I haven't done very well.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'd love some tips for drafting. Both for the Gatecrash set, and just general common sense tips for limited.

Thanks in advance guys,
Mike

Link139232
posted March 31, 2013 09:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
I can walk you through some drafts if you would like.

daner
posted March 31, 2013 10:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
In general...stick with the BREAD plan.

B. Bombs
R. Removal
E. Evasion
A. Average
D. Dead Card

Now, there will be varying opinions on what cards are classified as "bombs", because well, most people are bad at Magic and identifying/valuing card power. That's really just splitting hairs....

As far as Gatecrash goes. The set is HYPER-Aggresive. Extort is the best mechanic, and Orzhov is probably the best deck. All the decks can win, just some are have a lot better card pools and overall card quality to work with.

The trick in Gatecrash, as explained in an article with Zvion SCG(which I've been saying since this set came out) is that you NEED to decide what your going to trade early creature for creature.

Probably the single most important thing you can do is make sure you play a creature either turn 1 or turn 2. If you don't you're going to get run over in this format. To be honest it's VERY lame, very much the same thing over and over again.

If you can get the packs draft ISD-ISD-DKA(Innistradx2, Dark Ascension). Also, if you are new you might want to start out with a m13 draft, it's a little less skill intensive but it will help you until you move on to a more advanced set. I'd classifiy GTC as a higer skilled set, only bc if you're new you can easily trainwreck your draft....sets that almost require a tri-color build can be tricky. It's also going to be a LOT harder for you to recognize drafting signals. I'm not suggesting you're terrible but if you say your very rusty you might want to give m13 a shot just to get back into the swing of things.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by daner on March 31, 2013]

Kujamune
posted March 31, 2013 10:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kujamune Click Here to Email Kujamune Send a private message to Kujamune Click to send Kujamune an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
At this point, I'm fairly terrible. The first draft I attended, I hadn't looked at the card list for GTC and ended up building a simic deck. I went 1-2, 0-2 and 2-0. At least I won a few games.

But knowing the cards a little better this time, I felt a bit more prepared but just kept unwrapping garbage and did poorly. I went Dimir this time and played mostly against Boros, so before I could make much happen I was already overrun, like you mentioned is common in this format.

My biggest mistake was lack of aggression, I'd like to try Orzhov in the future just to take advantage of extort, provided I get passed the right cards.

Link139232
posted March 31, 2013 10:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
I drafted a midrange-y dimir deck that had something like:

4 Unblockable Rogues
3 Guildgates
Lots of flyers with cipher cards to attach
Some removal
Consuming Aberration

And some other stuff.

...and I got 0-3 rolled by aggressive decks.

Orzhov is quite clearly the best deck, or boros splashing green/orzhov splashing red.

Kujamune
posted March 31, 2013 10:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kujamune Click Here to Email Kujamune Send a private message to Kujamune Click to send Kujamune an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My bassist drafted a Dimir mill deck and went 2-1 our first draft. I was way impressed. Had a mind grind, and landed the Undercity Informer/Mortis Strider combo go off a few times.

dwiz
posted March 31, 2013 12:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
BREAD is good (funny how the A and D always mean different things) but you also need a good balance and a good curve. My pool at GP Pitt (sealed, but still) was so bad. I played a removal package of 13 spells, 8 creatures, Gideon and Holy Mantle and went 6-3. Obviously more creatures were needed, but I had no great splashables and no gates. You should have 13-17 creatures though, and a good curve.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League