Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Any Cube Tips?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Any Cube Tips?
Soldier Boi
posted May 24, 2012 04:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of building a cube, anyone have any tips for building one?

daner
posted May 24, 2012 04:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
http://www.cubedrafting.com/view-the-cube/

^^ There is a pretty good cube, I used his as a starting point and made my own adjustments as seen fit when I built mine.

Zeckk
posted May 24, 2012 05:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
mtgsalvation actually has a very good discussion going on cube lists, including powered/non-powered, small to large, combo cube, theme-based cube, and pauper/peasant cube lists.

My local group has 2 cubes - one is the full-power, full-foil classic cube, and the other is a peasant cube. The powered cube is by far the most popular, but I actually enjoy the peasant cube, since it focuses more on card advantage and tight mechanical play, as opposed to simply lucking out and starting off the draft with ancestral recall.

Soldier Boi
posted May 24, 2012 07:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Is 400 cards really enough? Thats like 50 of each color.

psrex
posted May 24, 2012 10:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
How many people will be playing? If you have 8 people drafting then 400 is plenty, unless you need a lot of variety due to very frequent drafting (more than once a week). Even then, going up to 520 should be plenty.

ravidell
posted May 26, 2012 07:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ravidell Click Here to Email ravidell Send a private message to ravidell Click to send ravidell an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I quit playing every format but vintage and cube. Being a holiday weekend only 5 of us made it out to draft last night. So we did 2 sealed instead. Still lots o fun. Best money I ever spent was on my cube...

Soldier Boi
posted June 01, 2012 11:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yea I dont even know where to start lol. I know i dont want to build a powered cube. I was thinking of common/uncommon but there are some fun crap rares I would like to play with also. How long does it usually take to build a cube?

psrex
posted June 01, 2012 12:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
I would copy a list from the cube forums on Salvation to start with, so the time to build a cube will be however long it takes you to gather the cards (or proxy them). Don't try to build your first cube from scratch as it is a lot of work. Save that work for once you better understand how the format plays and when you want to build a new cube to offer a different play experience.

Once the cube is built you'll always being doing regular maintenance to tweak the experience and adding cards as new sets come out. That's part of the fun and it can take as much time as you like.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League