Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Flip cards

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Flip cards
keywacat
posted May 24, 2012 01:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
Now that the precedent has been set with flip cards, what do you lot think of the possibilities they present? Possibly having two creatures on one card, one or the early game, one for later in.

Maybe something like this:

When Shaman's Apprentice comes into play it deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player
1/1
***Flip Side***
Bo-Bo, Channeler of Rage
RRRR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman
When Bo-Bo, Channeler of Rage comes into play it deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player
*/* Bo-Bo, Channeler of Rage's power and toughness are equal to the number of Goblins you control

I know some hate the flip cards (anyone quit yet?) but they were printed and are in the game now. Might as well make the most and look forward to the new tricks they allow, yeah?

Cheers;
keywacat

MagixDK
posted May 24, 2012 01:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
im looking forward to scratch cards. gotta be the next big thing. draft it, scratch it, win?

flophaus
posted May 24, 2012 02:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Or what about "Loot" cards, where you get a coded card and then you just go to their website to get that special promo mailed right to you?

That, or...

How about: a random card that lets you redeem it for a complete set from WOTC?

Or say, a complete Booster Box, etc....

Crap like this is cool... why can't they just make it happen!?

dwiz
posted May 24, 2012 03:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:
Or what about "Loot" cards, where you get a coded card and then you just go to their website to get that special promo mailed right to you?

That, or...

Those ideas ruined the sports card industry. Granted CCGs are a bit different, but gimmicks haven't worked well lately for Wizards.

keywacat
posted May 24, 2012 03:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:

That, or...

I was looking more for playable cards, but a loot card for a whole set, especially a foil set, would be cool.

Probably make the packs fly off the shelves even faster than they do now...

AEther Storm
posted May 24, 2012 03:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:
I was looking more for playable cards, but a loot card for a whole set, especially a foil set, would be cool.

Probably make the packs fly off the shelves even faster than they do now...

They would either make it too good to trade back for a prize (set, booster box), or too rare. (1 in every 500 boxes).

Or both.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't
mind." -Dr. Seuss

Zeckk
posted May 24, 2012 05:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Those ideas ruined the sports card industry. Granted CCGs are a bit different, but gimmicks haven't worked well lately for Wizards.

If you're referring to the helvault, that was purely a problem of execution. If the helvault contents were more evently distributed and had greater playability, it would have been quite a success. With that said, it could still be considered a success in terms of getting people to come to pre-release events.

Past gimmicks have been pretty successful, including the hidden treasure cards in ZEN first-run boosters, and the game-day full-art promos. I'm sure that some form of integration between paper magic and MODO has been tossed around the WotC marketing dept., but I think they are worried that such promotions would cannibalize paper sales in favor of online sales. I think that Wizards is more focused on getting MODO's UI at a level that truly appeals to people outside of CCGs, something akin to DOTP, but with MODO's pay-to-play business model.

Randomnist
posted May 24, 2012 09:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Randomnist Click Here to Email Randomnist Send a private message to Randomnist Click to send Randomnist an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Randomnist's Have/Want ListView Randomnist's Have/Want List
To the OP, that's already been done, except with both on the same side of the card. (the way I think werewolves should have been done)

Sovarius
posted May 24, 2012 09:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Randomnist:
To the OP, that's already been done, except with both on the same side of the card. (the way I think werewolves should have been done)

I liked having decent art and being able to reads the cards.
But what he is suggesting isn't like the werewolf flips or the kamigawa ones, he's saying two different cards that are independent of one another.

The split cards were cool, though not many were good. They could do that again with permanent variants, i guess. I'd like them a bit but i don't see the point.

My trades
My sales

keywacat
posted May 24, 2012 01:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
I liked having decent art and being able to reads the cards.

That's pretty much the point

Bruised
posted May 24, 2012 01:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bruised Click Here to Email Bruised Send a private message to Bruised Click to send Bruised an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bruised's Have/Want ListView Bruised's Have/Want List
A double full art fire // ice would be awesome.

flophaus
posted May 24, 2012 11:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

As a person who has been involved in sports cards for over 23 years, in nearly every imaginable facet at that,... I am going to have to completely disagree with you.

I totally respect your opinions and posts. That said;

Do you actually know what you're talking about when it comes to sports cards and the industry?

Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude, but your statement was completely wrong in my estimation.

(Edit: I'd be interested in discussing this with anyone more in depth too, because it's a very interesting subject to me.)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by flophaus on May 24, 2012]

dwiz
posted May 25, 2012 03:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
As a person who has been involved in sports cards for over 23 years, in nearly every imaginable facet at that,... I am going to have to completely disagree with you.

I totally respect your opinions and posts. That said;

Do you actually know what you're talking about when it comes to sports cards and the industry?

Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude, but your statement was completely wrong in my estimation.

(Edit: I'd be interested in discussing this with anyone more in depth too, because it's a very interesting subject to me.)

Here's my angle. Do you remember 20 years ago when you'd open a pack, take a look at each card, maybe collect a set, team set, or your favorite player? Now the base set is worthless, the only cards with value are the inserts. People here buy a pack, open it, take the insert or any decent parallels and give the rest (chaff) to the kids in the shop. Not that that is bad for the kid. WoTc said in the 90s when the sports card industry started its tumble that they'd never do insert cards. That was probably several managers ago, but here we are. It hasn't ruined the game, but it's got some people upset. You've got people upset they aren't getting enough mythics in a box. You've got people buying boxes of Zendikar and getting upset because they didn't pull a treasure (even though the odds are slim). They tried inserting ~50 special Helvaults and that was a huge backlash. Distribution on boxes is bad on the last couple sets. I'm sure people could add to this.

Zeckk
posted May 25, 2012 04:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Here's my angle. Do you remember 20 years ago when you'd open a pack, take a look at each card, maybe collect a set, team set, or your favorite player? Now the base set is worthless, the only cards with value are the inserts. People here buy a pack, open it, take the insert or any decent parallels and give the rest (chaff) to the kids in the shop. Not that that is bad for the kid. WoTc said in the 90s when the sports card industry started its tumble that they'd never do insert cards. That was probably several managers ago, but here we are. It hasn't ruined the game, but it's got some people upset. You've got people upset they aren't getting enough mythics in a box. You've got people buying boxes of Zendikar and getting upset because they didn't pull a treasure (even though the odds are slim). They tried inserting ~50 special Helvaults and that was a huge backlash. Distribution on boxes is bad on the last couple sets. I'm sure people could add to this.

Of the issues you listed, the only "gimmicks" are ZEN treasure cards and the helvault. ZEN treasure was a complete success if you look at how well the set sold. Helvault was more of a good news/bad news result. Tons of people showed up for helvault releases, but tons of people were also ****ed off that A) the promo cards aren't playable in any real sense, and B) some stores got magicalchristmasland helvaults and everyone got to pretend they were on an Oprah show. YOU get a foil demonic tutor! YOU get a foil demonic tutor! EVERYONE GETS FOIL DEMONIC TUTORS! I'M OPRAH YYEEEEEEAAAHHH!!!!

But I digress. The only real parallel I see with sports cards and MtG cards is the level of "chaff" rising in terms of overall percentage of any given set. I don't subscribe to that "skill tester" bull**** design philosophy, since it gives R&D a reason to phone in a set once they establish the chase cards. Maybe it wouldn't irritate me so badly if the design team didn't produce those literary diarrhea articles that offer "amusing anecdotes" about the turds-in-card-form design process. As if I really gave a **** about why they felt a horribly overcosted grizzly bear was necessary for flavor reasons...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Zeckk on May 25, 2012]

Devonin
posted May 25, 2012 04:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
Not everybody's a Spike. Some of us are a Vorthos, and love the articles about the theme and effort that went into cards that aren't chase rares.

I still think Hex is one of the most elegantly designed cards in magic. Nobody uses it though.

CrazyBones
posted May 25, 2012 09:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyBones Click Here to Email CrazyBones Send a private message to CrazyBones Click to send CrazyBones an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CrazyBones's Have/Want ListView CrazyBones's Have/Want List
I appreciate Wizards continuing to keep the game fresh but I really dislike the flip cards. It's just tedious and annoying.

jaxsonpride
posted May 28, 2012 10:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaxsonpride Click Here to Email jaxsonpride Send a private message to jaxsonpride Click to send jaxsonpride an Instant MessageVisit jaxsonpride's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jaxsonpride's Have/Want ListView jaxsonpride's Have/Want List
quote:

also you must look at this fact 20+ years ago sports cards were very mass produced leading to cheaper val" RC like Griffy Jr as time went by the card companys like topps upperdeck and so on realized that the hobby needed a breath of fresh air and lowered production numbers of sets and so forth un flooding the market of cards

now as far as MTG goes what I think would be cool for a start is a simple color change to the back of the cards in a limited run for and keep the same standard card back layout for they could be C/U/R/M example

1:36 packs contain a White back card 1:120 = foil
1:72 packs contain a Black Backed card 1:200 = Foil
1:120 packs contain green back 1:270 = foil
1:250 packs contain red back 1:320 = foil
1:320 Gold or silver backed 1:case = foil

or even add in printing plates 1 per case ...tell me no one would like to have a printing plate used to print there fav card from there fav set

when if comes to packs of any type of card the thrill is in the chase why not expaned on that

keywacat
posted May 28, 2012 12:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
Tatsumasa, Dragon's Fang is a perfect example of a card that would have benefited from being a flip card.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League