Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Selling on TCG vs. Selling on Ebay

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Selling on TCG vs. Selling on Ebay
MAB_Rapper
posted May 08, 2014 06:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
So, pretty much, I am looking to expand into one of the two markets and am just looking for some input on which one really is better. From what I remember, TCG fees are slightly cheaper, but their restrictions on new sellers makes it very hard to sell on there early. Ebay should have greater exposure. Am I still correct in this thinking and is there anything else to consider?

Top 20 in MOTL Refs

My 2008 Nationals

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MAB_Rapper on May 16, 2014]

Demilio
posted May 08, 2014 07:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
I remember seeing something on reddit not too long ago that provided some data. It seems that for higher priced cards the fees are lower on tcg. As for limits, once you ship 11 items you become level 3 and it's not much of an issue anymore.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mtgfinance/comments/1fizpr/tcgplayer_v_ebay_fees_1050_is_the_magic_sales/

jbark
posted May 08, 2014 08:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Tcg is US only (from my knowledge) and ebay is world wide. For casual and high end stuff you may fetch more on ebay. And ebay has use of promotions from paypal/ebay for gift cards and discounts to the buyer which may attract more. My brother and business partners use a combination of Amazon and ebay. Bulk sells well on ebay. You would not believe what some stuff fetches on amazon.

valorale
posted May 08, 2014 09:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for valorale Click Here to Email valorale Send a private message to valorale Click to send valorale an Instant MessageVisit valorale's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I use TCG for almost all my sales.

Not having to upload a picture is saves a ton of time. Plus when something goes wrong, TCG's customer support has real people that you can talk to and understands the product.

I still use ebay if I want to sell cards as a playset or if its foreign language since TCG doesnt support either.

Magiclydelcious
posted May 09, 2014 07:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magiclydelcious Click Here to Email Magiclydelcious Send a private message to Magiclydelcious Click to send Magiclydelcious an Instant MessageVisit Magiclydelcious's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Magiclydelcious's Have/Want ListView Magiclydelcious's Have/Want List
Ebay is much cheaper, pay $15 for an ebay store, they take 1% off of final value fees.. earn top rated seller.. they take 20% more off of final value fees.

I've looked into this extensively, eBay is far better exposure and cheaper fees.

PM if you want to discuss.

Dick Nichols
clovisrocks@hotmail.com

I collect Foil Delver of Secrets, check em out Here

Current Foil Delver count: 512

Reizen
posted May 09, 2014 04:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Reizen Click Here to Email Reizen Send a private message to Reizen Click to send Reizen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
tcg player takes 8% right?

nylarotep
posted May 10, 2014 08:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Reizen:
tcg player takes 8% right?

I think it's $0.50 fee + 11%

mm1983
posted May 14, 2014 04:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Ebay takes anout 8-12% depending on item. Higher percentage gets taken out on cheaper items. Last I knew Ebay has a fixed percentage fee on items less than $50 and then another fixed percentage fee on items over $50 but then paypal takes 2.9% plus 30 cents on every item sold which makes the total percentage higher.

nylarotep
posted May 14, 2014 05:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
Ebay takes anout 8-12% depending on item. Higher percentage gets taken out on cheaper items. Last I knew Ebay has a fixed percentage fee on items less than $50 and then another fixed percentage fee on items over $50 but then paypal takes 2.9% plus 30 cents on every item sold which makes the total percentage higher.

eBay is also now taking a $0.30 insertion fee

MAB_Rapper
posted May 14, 2014 05:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by nylarotep:
eBay is also now taking a $0.30 insertion fee

Unless you do a store or do an auction it seems. Stores still get 150 free listings a month.

Top 20 in MOTL Refs

My 2008 Nationals

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

LandDestroyer
posted May 14, 2014 07:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Magiclydelcious:
Ebay is much cheaper, pay $15 for an ebay store, they take 1% off of final value fees.. earn top rated seller.. they take 20% more off of final value fees.

I've looked into this extensively, eBay is far better exposure and cheaper fees.

PM if you want to discuss.

$15 a month or year? I used to sell more frequently on ebay but with shipping more expensive and having less time I don't. I know people are going to say buyer pays shipping but as a buyer I bid less for the item if shipping is higher.

Also, do you guys who do this a lot use a scale and print out USPS lables to save on shipping? I've never done that but have been interested.

wayne
posted May 14, 2014 07:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
$15 a month or year? I used to sell more frequently on ebay but with shipping more expensive and having less time I don't. I know people are going to say buyer pays shipping but as a buyer I bid less for the item if shipping is higher.

Also, do you guys who do this a lot use a scale and print out USPS lables to save on shipping? I've never done that but have been interested.

Month

mm1983
posted May 14, 2014 08:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MAB_Rapper:

Unless you do a store or do an auction it seems. Stores still get 150 free listings a month.

Ebay offers 2 different store subscriptions. $20 a month gets you 150 free listings and then .20 for each additional listing or I think the $50 a month one might be unlimited number of listings for free or if it's not that then it's probably 500 free listings and then .20 for each additional listing. Also, to list hundreds of items to start at the same time is an additional .10 per listing which might be an available option to do if you have the store subscription.

kingtal0n
posted May 19, 2014 01:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kingtal0n Click Here to Email kingtal0n Send a private message to kingtal0n Click to send kingtal0n an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kingtal0n's Have/Want ListView kingtal0n's Have/Want List
I have an ebay store and I get about 40 free listing per month, but I do not pay any monthly (or yearly) fee for the store. It might be that this option is no longer available (I've been selling on ebay for years).

The things about ebay are the pictures. If you have a really nice card(s) then you can take multiple pictures of them, front and back, that will really help sell the card(s).

I always think of at least 15% as a rule though when selling. If I need $50 in my pocket then I need to sell the card for around $61 because ebay will take $6, paypal will take $2 and shipping will be $3.

another way I see it (when buying to sell) is, for every $30 sale I will make, I am only able to spend $20. That usually leaves me with a $4 profit for every $30 card I buy for $20.

Magiclydelcious
posted May 20, 2014 03:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magiclydelcious Click Here to Email Magiclydelcious Send a private message to Magiclydelcious Click to send Magiclydelcious an Instant MessageVisit Magiclydelcious's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Magiclydelcious's Have/Want ListView Magiclydelcious's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:

$15 a month. I pay $50 a month, get 500 free listings and also leaves automatic feedback for you.

Always print your own shipping, its significantly cheaper. I just do free shipping in most of my listings.. I do Buy it Now only, charge free shipping and then when someone buys 10x of the same item, I get to combine em all into 1 package and save on shipping. When I make my listing I factor the shipping into the price, so works out. Shipping Bubble mailers 3oz or less is just $1.93. Buy bubblemailers in bulk, you can get em for about .06 each.

For shipping on MOTL I use stamps.com.. it's also about $15 a month, but worth it. International shipping is way cheap on this site. I get tracking to canada for $2.25.

Liq
posted May 20, 2014 02:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Liq Click Here to Email Liq Send a private message to Liq Click to send Liq an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Liq's Trade Auction or SaleView Liq's Trade Auction or Sale
tcgplayer has a slow payout process. It's like the next Monday after the next Friday after the item has been declared received, then the bank transfer begins which takes a few more days.

eBay has a hold on money received (for new accounts) that isn't released until about a week after the item has been declared received.

IMO eBay is a better long term investment as you can start selling other items and won't be forced to restart on another site.

<BoltBait> Don't make me kick you
<Slinga> Have no fear, MOTL's janitor is here!
<nderdog> So we're all agreed, it's Liq's fault, right?
<Leshrac> let me deal with that
* Liq has been banned

JayC
posted May 20, 2014 11:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
eBay is such a pain with the listings, that is the biggest issue. Are you going to use stock photos to sell less than NM cards? Or are you going to take pictures of each card? Seems unbearable.

I've just about hit 600 sales on TCGPlayer in the last couple of months... singles sell there very quickly so long as you price competitively. I think it will be a bit of a shock to you since you sell here with no fees whatsoever and make money on your shipping - or at least get paid for it in general - but you can move far more product than just from a forum such as this.

Magiclydelcious
posted May 20, 2014 11:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magiclydelcious Click Here to Email Magiclydelcious Send a private message to Magiclydelcious Click to send Magiclydelcious an Instant MessageVisit Magiclydelcious's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Magiclydelcious's Have/Want ListView Magiclydelcious's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JayC:
eBay is such a pain with the listings, that is the biggest issue. Are you going to use stock photos to sell less than NM cards? Or are you going to take pictures of each card? Seems unbearable.

I've just about hit 600 sales on TCGPlayer in the last couple of months... singles sell there very quickly so long as you price competitively. I think it will be a bit of a shock to you since you sell here with no fees whatsoever and make money on your shipping - or at least get paid for it in general - but you can move far more product than just from a forum such as this.

Pictures aren't that bad.. stock photos mostly, just use an accurate description. eBay also offers Turbo Lister.. and it is exactly as it sounds.. FAST. I can get about 200 listings up in an hour or so.

As for selling, I mostly only sell bulk lots and such, stuff I can't move to real magic players. I sell all the big stuff on here.. No fees

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League