Magic Discussion
  Buying my first box! (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Buying my first box!
DConNexus
posted May 01, 2012 03:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for DConNexus Click Here to Email DConNexus Send a private message to DConNexus Click to send DConNexus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DConNexus's Have/Want ListView DConNexus's Have/Want List
I will finally be buying my first ever booster box! I want to hear players experiences from opening there first box or from players who still have yet to experience it.
Also, my store was out of Buy-a-box promos, did anyone else run into this issue?

junichi
posted May 01, 2012 04:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
I regret it, because it's a waste of money.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Trag3dy
posted May 01, 2012 04:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Trag3dy Click Here to Email Trag3dy Send a private message to Trag3dy Click to send Trag3dy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:
I regret it, because it's a waste of money.

QFT. I mean it's exciting in a way. But most of the time, I wish I had just purchased singles.

Good Luck anyway.

Trag3dy

AlmostGrown
posted May 01, 2012 04:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
It was a mistake, 100%.

Thanos
posted May 01, 2012 05:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Don't listen to the haters, if you enjoy opening packs of cards, by all means you'll have fun opening a box.

I love opening packs and always buy at least one box each release for this reason.

psrex
posted May 01, 2012 05:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
I like making sealed decks with 6 packs at a time against another playing doing the same thing (or play Winston or Winchester draft). Play 2 or 3 games and then repeating the process two more times until the box is gone. It's much better than just opening the packs.

caquaa
posted May 01, 2012 05:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
Don't listen to the haters, if you enjoy opening packs of cards, by all means you'll have fun opening a box.

meh, it doesn't take me all that long to open a box. The thrill is very short lived. I'd rather have bought singles so I can enjoy playing my decks for much longer then the few minutes it took to crack a box.

stu55
posted May 01, 2012 05:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DConNexus:

Also, my store was out of Buy-a-box promos, did anyone else run into this issue?

Um...what?

dwiz
posted May 01, 2012 05:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by stu55:

Um...what?

Buy a box through the overpriced store, you're supposed to get the promo card. I guess he didn't

revenger
posted May 01, 2012 05:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
As of today, I won't buy a box now. But back in the day, sure.

I once bought 2 boxes of Stronghold just to get as many Ruinations I could get a hold of. (All friends had LOTS of non basic lands, and it sickened me.) 2 Boxes later, zero Ruinations. Pulling 2 Mox Diamonds and 2 Sliver Queens was a nice consolation prize I thought tho.

If ya want to crack packs, sealed or drafting is the route I would go.

~Revenger

Your 2008 and 2010 Motl Siskel & Ebert award winner!

37th in refs on Motl!

First in refs in state of Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trades. Email me if interested.

caquaa
posted May 01, 2012 05:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Buy a box through the overpriced store, you're supposed to get the promo card. I guess he didn't

pretty sure the reaction is because stores can't sell boxes yet. I suppose they could do it via preorder and give out the promo when you do the preorder. Also, the buy a box promos are one person person per wotc.

..... or it could be like one LGS near me where they gave the buy a box promo out randomly during the prerelease, lol....

Bagbokk
posted May 01, 2012 05:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't remember my first box (it was probably Ice Age though). I only open boxes now if I can get them for $60-65 because that's the only way I don't LOSE on value (though I don't really gain any, either). And this doesn't happen very often, for all the people that read the previous sentence and was going to jump on my face with "lol where do you get boxes for that price."

MAB_Rapper
posted May 01, 2012 06:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:

I know with my store, only the first 20 people to pre-order get a promo, no matter how many boxes you buy. Probably because they only get 20 promos.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

flophaus
posted May 02, 2012 12:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I've NEVER gotten a buy-a-box promo and I've bought quite a few boxes. Kind-of irritating, really.

As for my first box?

It was stronghold.

I sat in my room and savored each and every card that I pulled out =)

I didn't know what cards were in the set besides Mox and Queen...

I just wanted the Mox so badly! (I got it =)

I literally took like 2+ days to open that box hehe!

I can still remember the adrenaline coursing through me back then, because it was my first box and I was only like 15 and it took me forever to save up the money =)

Good times indeed.

Anymore, I'm just about DONE buying boxes unless they are from a spankin' new set or if I'm going to have a draft/sealed party.

Mr.C
posted May 02, 2012 12:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
What's up with all these people that bought Stronghold boxes? They don't have foils nor rares, they suck!

On topic, I would never buy boxes again.

Pringlesman
posted May 02, 2012 01:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pringlesman Click Here to Email Pringlesman Send a private message to Pringlesman Click to send Pringlesman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you do buy a box. Be sure to draft it instead of just cracking the packs. You might as well get some funout of it.

Zeckk
posted May 02, 2012 02:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
I usually end up buying 1 box per new set, and I've been doign so since ALA block. It's always been worth it to me, but that's largely because I've built up enough store credit to buy whatever singles I want from any given set, and the box ends up being trade fodder.

I understand that anyone who doesn't have a lively local trading scene can't see the appeal of buying a box, but there's been exactly one set where I haven't been able to ride the hype of brand-new cards to reach the value of the box, and that was conflux, because I only cracked 3 PtEs and zero nicol bolas.

I've actually gone out of my way to buy more than 1 box when I've had a hunch that the value of the overall set would make it worth it - 2 extra boxes of ZEN and 2 extra boxes of WWK, both when I got a heads up from the store owner that they had gone out of print. Buying sealed product CAN get you higher value, but it's incredibly conditional, which usually means trading hyped chase cards ASAP, and trying to hoard sleeper cards.

hilikuS
posted May 02, 2012 06:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
My buddy and I each get a box to pack war the entire thing. Gives you some extra mileage out of it. If your LGS will let you enter draft tourneys with packs, I would totally say heck yes on that too.

southparker2002
posted May 02, 2012 06:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
My first box was darksteel. I loved it and I still love opening packs. Is all fun for the game.

DConNexus
posted May 02, 2012 06:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for DConNexus Click Here to Email DConNexus Send a private message to DConNexus Click to send DConNexus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DConNexus's Have/Want ListView DConNexus's Have/Want List
My brother and I are cracking it so I am thinking we may draft a deck, play a couple games and then find the value cards. Huge fan of the block so my brother will find some use of the whole INN block. I think our store only gets in about 20 as well. Which is ridiculous.

If I could have bought any box back in the day, it would be Ice Age. Thats when I started and still love that crap set. (Crap now.) Did anyone ever BaB for one of the Un sets? (Which I want a new set like that but Standard/tourney play is too popular.)

Thanks to everyone for your input. Enjoyed reading all of the posts, what I learned is buy this box and never get one again!! Well unless M13 is awesome or new Rav gives us lands.

nderdog
posted May 02, 2012 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Nderwife and I play sealed with our boxes, and it's a lot of fun. If we didn't do that, I probably wouldn't buy boxes at all.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Randomnist
posted May 02, 2012 10:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Randomnist Click Here to Email Randomnist Send a private message to Randomnist Click to send Randomnist an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Randomnist's Have/Want ListView Randomnist's Have/Want List
I usually don't buy boxes, but this time I pre-ordered 3 boxes for $82 each. I guess I'll see next week if that was a good idea or not.

Definately plan to draft the packs with friends, instead of just opening them all.

mm1983
posted May 02, 2012 11:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by randomnist:

I usually don't buy boxes, but this time I pre-ordered 3 boxes for $82 each. I guess I'll see next week if that was a good idea or not.
Definately plan to draft the packs with friends, instead of just opening them all.

Definitely a good idea. Cheapest I could find a pre-order for boxes this time was $92 and now there is such a huge demand for this set that boxes are now $105 or more.

Demilio
posted May 02, 2012 11:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
I used to buy boxes when I first started for myself but now I only get a box of each set and end up drafting it w/ friends. I usually end up getting all the cards I need through drafting and trading.

majicman
posted May 02, 2012 04:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
I rarely by boxes anymore.

The most fun I had opening a box was Legends back in the day. New gold cards and art work were phenomenal back then for the time. I never cracked an entire Unlimited box, but it was fun to bust the tournament/starter decks I got when I first started.

If opening packs, draft. You will get more fun out of it and may win packs for free.

Regards...Greg

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League