Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Avacyn Restored Prerelease: Who went to it? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Avacyn Restored Prerelease: Who went to it?
revenger
posted April 29, 2012 10:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
So who went? was it worth it? is the set worth it? any luck @ it? pull anything worth it?

Your 2008 and 2010 Motl Siskel & Ebert award winner!

37th in refs on Motl!

First in refs in state of Arizona!

Werewolf II: Nemesis

simbayu
posted April 29, 2012 03:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for simbayu Send a private message to simbayu Click to send simbayu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sealed was fun as usual. It was very swingy. The format is slow and there are a couple bombs that are near unbeatable. I paid $25 to play and opened a snapcaster, well, not really but i traded away a vexing devil and some other cards I opened for the snapcaster.

Mateo26
posted April 29, 2012 04:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mateo26 Click Here to Email Mateo26 Send a private message to Mateo26 Click to send Mateo26 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I came in 3rd at our local 27 person prerelease. I played b/w with a lot of flyers, including Herald of War and whatever removal I had (2x Death Wind, Barter in Blood, Righteous Blow, Human Frailty).

I went 4-1 in the swiss, only losing a tight game 3 to a guy with a fast u/r deck that also had Tamiyo.

In the semis, I was wrecked in two games, each time by turn 5 Sigarda.

I didn't open anything too exciting in my sealed or prize packs. I guess the highlight was probably a Vexing Devil.

I'm not too keen on the set for limited play. There just isn't enough removal to deal with the high density of bombs.

B14ckM4g3
posted April 29, 2012 05:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I went to two events. Friday/sat 12:00am and sunday afternoon. tied for 5th at both events (with several other players). Didn't crack anything overly spectacular, but I am enjoying this set for limited far more than drafting innistrad/dark ascension.

Although today, EVERY match up in 5 matches I played a G/W deck. got a little boring at the end of it but was great to see the variety that G/W has to offer (I was playing U/W. Friday I played G/U and thought it was terrible. turned out it wasn't. Blue is crazy good and easily overlooked for combat tricks and bouncing.)

Bagbokk
posted April 29, 2012 05:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sad. I posted in the PFMS, but since this is a more specific one I'll just repost basically -- I went 3-0-1 without dropping a game, we cut to top 4, and I lose the first round of that 1-2 because of getting mana screwed. eh. I was running B/R. I note above that someone said the format was slow--maybe that's why I was winning every game, my deck was basically all <4 drop creatures or removal. I had like two things cost 5 mana and that's it.

Didn't open anything particularly interesting in sealed or prize packs.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Bagbokk on April 29, 2012]

Jazaray
posted April 29, 2012 07:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Let's see, does the Avacyn Restored Pre-release have something to do with Magic? Hrm.. Yes. Yes it does. Then WHY isn't it in Magic Discussion? on you Rev.

Thread moved.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Jaz is now selling Tupperware! Help her out! ;)

junichi
posted April 29, 2012 07:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
Went 3-1 on Saturday, and 4-0-1 drew for first on Sunday.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

mattw
posted April 29, 2012 07:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
Played in 2 sealed events saturday, went 1-3 in the first with a rough R/G deck. Never had any big creatures and my bomb was a vexing devil so it wasn't a huge threat.

The second one however I played G/W cause I opened a Sigarda and Soul of the Harvest. It was a fairly slow deck but with those 2/4 flying lifelink guys and then turn 5 sigarda and turn 7 archangel it didn't much matter. Went 3-1 in that one and then opened another vexing devil in the prize packs.

Moved both devils for cards I wanted at the draft so that was nice.

What I found ridiculous was Champion of Lambholt. My opponent would always either use that green miracle card on it making it giant and unblockable or soulbound it with Wolfir Silverheart.

Lack of removal was kind of an issue.

mm1983
posted April 29, 2012 08:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
First day there was 51 people and I was 1 of the 4 people who were undefeated that day out of 4 rounds. I opened a Tibalt that I didn't play because I was playing Blue/Green. Other than the planeswalker my rares weren't too great. Out of my 8 prize packs I opened another Tibalt.

Today there was 28 people and I went 2 and 2. I didn't pull anything of great value but I was able to play 5 of the rares I opened. Colors of my deck today were Blue/White.

Lord Crovax
posted April 29, 2012 08:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simbayu:
Sealed was fun as usual. It was very swingy. The format is slow and there are a couple bombs that are near unbeatable. I paid $25 to play and opened a snapcaster, well, not really but i traded away a vexing devil and some other cards I opened for the snapcaster.

Format is SO not slow, exact opposite actually, everyone who thought it was slow and acted as such, lost.

All my games were won by turn 5-6 at the latest.

R/W/G are very fast very aggro colors.

WCFmo
posted April 29, 2012 08:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WCFmo Click Here to Email WCFmo Send a private message to WCFmo Click to send WCFmo an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WCFmo's Trade Auction or SaleView WCFmo's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
Format is SO not slow, exact opposite actually, everyone who thought it was slow and acted as such, lost.

All my games were won by turn 5-6 at the latest.

R/W/G are very fast very aggro colors.

Yeah, R+other color can usually put the hurt on. I played a midrange RG with black splash for Death Wave, the vampire sac outlet girl, Bone Splinters, etc. Zealous Conscripts is also awesome with the black sack girl....

Went 4-1, lost to a more aggro deck...made the mistake of playing it as a slower format, probably should have won.

yakusoku
posted April 29, 2012 09:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I went to one on Saturday, went 3-0-1. Sigarda and Craterhoof Behemoth were ridiculous. I got a Restoration Angel in my packs.

I went another one on Sunday, went 3-1. Silverblade Paladin and Riders of Gavony were ridiculous. One game I soulbound the Silverblade Paladin to the Riders of Gavony (which named Humans) and attacked for 10, unblocked. I also got Herald of War, Misthollow Griffin, Mist Raven, Latch Seeker, and more blue and white flyers. I got a Vexing Devil in my packs.

Jazaray
posted April 29, 2012 10:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
What a coincidence Yak. I also went 3-0-1 Won the PR at my store. G/R aggro, kinda. I got to love that Vigilante Justice card. Especially two of them combined with Thatcher Revolt.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Jaz is now selling Tupperware! Help her out! ;)

hvy_metal
posted April 29, 2012 10:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hvy_metal Click Here to Email hvy_metal Send a private message to hvy_metal Click to send hvy_metal an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hvy_metal's Have/Want ListView hvy_metal's Have/Want List
Went 3-1 with U/B, a bunch of fliers and 9 removal/bounce spells. My only loss was against an opponent who miracle'd an Entreat the Angels for 5 in back to back games. That's a real fun card to play against. The format feels very swingy, with miracles and soulbond shenanigans. I saw someone bond a Wolfir Silverheart to a Silverblade Paladin to attack for a million out of nowhere.

Afterlife-MithMarr
posted April 29, 2012 10:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Afterlife-MithMarr Click Here to Email Afterlife-MithMarr Send a private message to Afterlife-MithMarr Click to send Afterlife-MithMarr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
the closest place for PR events to me is about an hour a way at the state expo center, last time I went to a PR was original Mirrodin..was over 300 people playing in it lol.

revenger
posted April 29, 2012 10:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Afterlife-MithMarr:the closest place for PR events to me is about an hour a way at the state expo center, last time I went to a PR was original Mirrodin..was over 300 people playing in it lol.
Last PR for me? 5th Dawn, and drove 2 hours to get to it. I did win and split a booster box.

Your 2008 and 2010 Motl Siskel & Ebert award winner!

37th in refs on Motl!

First in refs in state of Arizona!

Werewolf II: Nemesis

yakusoku
posted April 29, 2012 10:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I also have a ridiculous story from the pre-release.

The prize structure for the tournament was:

4 wins: 10 packs
3-0-1: 7 packs
3-1: 4 packs
2-1-1 or 2-2: 1 pack

My friend was 2-1 going into the fourth round and got paired down with someone who was 1-2. If the other guy wins, they both end up 2-2 and each get a pack. If my friend wins, he goes 3-1 and gets 4 packs and other guy gets nothing. I explain this and after the guy insists on playing it out, I ask if he'd be willing to concede to my friend and then my friend would get 4 packs, one of which he would give to the guy. This is the same thing the other guy would get if he won (one pack). The only difference is that in one scenario my friend gets one pack, and in the other, he gets three. The other guy doesn't like this at all and refuses.

They play it out and they each win one game and the third game goes to time. Neither of them is in a position to win, so on the fifth turn, it ends in a draw. The other guy then asks them, "what do I get for going 1-2-1?" I explain to him one more time, "Nothing. I told you this already. You only get something if you win two matches and the best you can get is one pack." So, the other guy got 0 packs and my friend got 1 pack.

Jtrade77
posted April 29, 2012 11:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jtrade77 Send a private message to Jtrade77 Click to send Jtrade77 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yakusoku:

My friend was 2-1 going into the fourth round and got paired down with someone who was 1-2. If the other guy wins, they both end up 2-2 and each get a pack. If my friend wins, he goes 3-1 and gets 4 packs and other guy gets nothing. I explain this and after the guy insists on playing it out, I ask if he'd be willing to concede to my friend and then my friend would get 4 packs, one of which he would give to the guy. This is the same thing the other guy would get if he won (one pack). The only difference is that in one scenario my friend gets one pack, and in the other, he gets three. The other guy doesn't like this at all and refuses.

Yeah, some people are tricky about not colluding for prizes. Dang those honest fools!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Jtrade77 on April 29, 2012]

TimeBeing
posted April 29, 2012 11:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

The prize structure for the tournament was:

4 wins: 10 packs
3-0-1: 7 packs
3-1: 4 packs
2-1-1 or 2-2: 1 pack

They play it out and they each win one game and the third game goes to time. Neither of them is in a position to win, so on the fifth turn, it ends in a draw. The other guy then asks them, "what do I get for going 1-2-1?" I explain to him one more time, "Nothing. I told you this already. You only get something if you win two matches and the best you can get is one pack." So, the other guy got 0 packs and my friend got 1 pack.

Better then you and your friend getting DQd like you should have been.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by TimeBeing on April 29, 2012]

Nitelite
posted April 30, 2012 12:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My brother and I went to a midnight prerelease event Friday night. I wasn't sure what the turnout would be since I have never attended a midnight tourney and hadn't been to a prerelease at all since Zendikar. Ended up being 56 people. I went 2-2 and opened no bombs. Brother went 1-3 but pulled about $40 in cards.

The tourney was 4 rounds and 4-0 got 13 packs I think while 3-1 got 3. They also had a special for anyone playing in a prerelease (including the midnight event, they were having 5 this weekend), you could preorder boxes at $85 ($90 with tax). Seemed like a decent deal so hopped on for 2 and my brother got 1.

yakusoku
posted April 30, 2012 12:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I honestly did not realize this constitutes prize collusion. This seems like all kinds of shades of gray here.

So, if we're both 3-0 in the fourth round, we're allowed to intentionally draw and both get 7 packs. If we're both 3-0, we're allowed to agree to play, but the winner only gets 9 packs and the loser gets 5 packs? If I'm the 1-2 guy, I'm allowed to concede to the 2-1 out of the goodness of my heart, so he gets 4 packs, but can't ask if he'll give me a pack? The 2-1 guy is allowed to ask for a concession, but not mention that he's willing to give the guy a pack? If it goes to time, in the fifth game, the 1-2 guy is allowed to concede, knowing he's going to get 0 packs if it's a draw, but he can't ask for a pack?

If so, the judges have been turning a blind eye to this sort of thing for awhile; I see this happening all the time at pre-releases.

caquaa
posted April 30, 2012 12:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
If so, the judges have been turning a blind eye to this sort of thing for awhile; I see this happening all the time at pre-releases.

Its typically because prereleases are a lot more casual, there is a lot more rules questions going on, and the judge staff isn't of the highest caliber to be on top of that sort of thing. If there is an exchange of prizes for the result of the game, DQ. You can ask him to concede, explain why he should concede, but you cannot offer or hint that you'll provide any additional prize (or anything for that matter) other then what he wins.

Th3Sparkl3r
posted April 30, 2012 12:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Th3Sparkl3r Click Here to Email Th3Sparkl3r Send a private message to Th3Sparkl3r Click to send Th3Sparkl3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want ListView Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want List
Saturday prerelease: 10 people, went 4-0 and took 1st place (out of 10...not impressive, I know) on the back of an insane r/w pool with herald of war, zealous conscripts, and Gisela, blade of Goldnight. Only lost 1 game the whole day and it was due to mana screw. Most of my speed (and a few key wins) were due to the insane beatdowns of riot ringleaders, moorland inquisitors, and fervent cathars with one of my three bombs to finish things off. I managed to miracle thunderous wrath and banishing stroke a few times each as well. The other players made the mistake of thinking the format was going to be slow and basically paid the price for it. Won 6 packs and pulled a Tibalt and a Sigarda from them.

Sunday Prerelease: went 2-1-1 for 3rd place out of 9. Pulled Entreat the Angels and Craterhoof Behemoth along with A foil champion of Lambholt (funny considering I actually pulled a reg and a foil from the same pack the day before) an Angel of Glory's Rise, and Riders of Gavony. My curve wasn't aggressive as the previous day and my draws were just terrible, but the games were definitely fun.

All in all I really like the format. There are tons of crazy interactions and synergies and I'm looking forward to drafting it. Hard removal is few and far between, but there are enough combat tricks that double as removal that it can often be worked around.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Th3Sparkl3r on April 30, 2012]

MagixDK
posted April 30, 2012 03:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
imo the sealed format is super boring and not interesting at all.

the draft format seems quite good, looking forward to playing more.

Ruiner
posted April 30, 2012 08:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ruiner Click Here to Email Ruiner Send a private message to Ruiner Click to send Ruiner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Best sealed format in as long as I can recall! At times I felt like I was playing poker not magic [that is playing the person, making seemingly ridiculous looking attacks, 'rivering' people with miracles [or vice versa].

Went 4-1-1 which was good for 4th place out of 34. Played WGr. Lost 2 games in a match to Dark Imposter, card is rigged! Draw was pretty much a 'first game took 30 minutes, second game 5 minutes [lol 4th turn 4 counter green miracle on moonlight geist ftw]- only way 3rd game is finishing is due to miracle blowout or mana screw lets just draw' kinda situation.

Played the 'slow format' game, Angelic Walls are pretty amazing.
Biggest bomb I had was Silverblade Paladin, nothing terribly special aside from that [I guess rare green miracle- but it really played lacklusterly].
Standouts were: Angelic Wall, Angelic Armament, Borderland Ranger and the green 4 counter miracle.

Edit: Highlight of the tourney was somehow making Angelic Wall into a real angel. I think you had to be there!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Ruiner on April 30, 2012]

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League