Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  when did walmart become a secondary market for mtg

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   when did walmart become a secondary market for mtg
trying2playagain
Banned
posted April 02, 2012 09:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for trying2playagain Click Here to Email trying2playagain Send a private message to trying2playagain Click to send trying2playagain an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So i go to the only game stop that has both games i'm looking for in stock. There is a walmart next to it and i have to pick up a few things. As i'm walking around looking for what i need. I run across there magic display. I don't play any more but thought it would be fun to crack some packs. For me this was like a gold mine. Since my lgs is 2 hours away. They had packs from zen- dka. They had all the dual decks that i know of execpt garruk vs. lillan. Even though i don't play I had to auto pick up the 2 countpunch decks they had since all there commader decks were marked down to 19.99. As i'm looking around i see a couple of racks of what they are calling classic magic packs. I dig through these and my choices are onslaught, torment, apocalypse, are,scourge, I picked up all 5 apoc. and 2 onslaught packs i find. go and find the stuff i went in for in the first place less the $10 worth of stuff. I go to check out and end up knowing the person in the lane next to me so we got talking. I'm not paying attetion as she is ringing up the items. All of a sudden she is done and gives me a total of $114 something. So i look down at the little display that has the items and the price. The clasic magic packs were $8.98 each. I didn't get them but i guess i won't complain about scg prices any more.

Demilio
posted April 02, 2012 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Target has the 2 packs of classic magic packs sometimes for $10.99. The last few I got were Mirrodin, Judgment, Odyssey, Torment.

xxxcryoserumxxx
posted April 02, 2012 10:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for xxxcryoserumxxx Click Here to Email xxxcryoserumxxx Send a private message to xxxcryoserumxxx Click to send xxxcryoserumxxx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View xxxcryoserumxxx's Have/Want ListView xxxcryoserumxxx's Have/Want List
The walmart here stopped selling mtg. I was saddened as we really don't have a card shop and the closest place to buy cards, a target, is 30 miles away.

Darkwing
posted April 02, 2012 10:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Darkwing Send a private message to Darkwing Click to send Darkwing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The "classic" packs are ringing up at $6.98 at my local Wal-Mart. I'm torn over whether at least the Onslaught packs might be worth getting.

Crash21
posted April 02, 2012 10:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Crash21 Click Here to Email Crash21 Send a private message to Crash21 Click to send Crash21 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Crash21's Have/Want ListView Crash21's Have/Want List
I've been considering buying some Scourge...but I've always had a thing for Dragons.

flophaus
posted April 02, 2012 11:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My local Wally-World only sells the current Core/Exp set and MAYBE l more of the last sets... and The decks and Toolkits and Fatpacks...

But last night, I saw they had a lone "MTG 3-Booster pack"

It was like $10.98 and so I bought it.

It had a pack of:
M11, M12, RoE and an extra inserted FOIL 7th Edition Thorn Elemental.

(You can't see what set the packs are from, so I wasn't sure what I'd get)

I thought this was reasonable and I would have bought more if they had them.

I hope they start stocking more stuff like this.

Lord Crovax
posted April 02, 2012 12:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:

I hope they start stocking more stuff like this.

Store doesn't stock them, distributor comes in and stocks, want more of something, catch them when they are stocking and have a talk.

They are usually pretty good about stocking what you want to buy if they can.

Bagbokk
posted April 02, 2012 12:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I couldn't even find MTG stuff at my Wal-Mart. What area of the store are they even in?

rats60
posted April 02, 2012 12:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Darkwing:
The "classic" packs are ringing up at $6.98 at my local Wal-Mart. I'm torn over whether at least the Onslaught packs might be worth getting.

No, Walmart's a ripoff. I'm amazed that people complain about their LGS, but actually shop at Walmart. The only packs worth those prices are Ravnica, Lorwyn, Future Sight or Worldwake, i.e. packs they don't have.

Soldier Boi
posted April 02, 2012 12:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rats60:
No, Walmart's a ripoff. I'm amazed that people complain about their LGS, but actually shop at Walmart. The only packs worth those prices are Ravnica, Lorwyn, Future Sight or Worldwake, i.e. packs they don't have.

I agree.

airwalk
posted April 02, 2012 01:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sure, it's a ripoff if you buy at full price. Wait for it to go on sale and then snag some deals.

Trag3dy
posted April 02, 2012 05:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Trag3dy Click Here to Email Trag3dy Send a private message to Trag3dy Click to send Trag3dy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I bought one of the 3 packs from wal mart the other day. Got a besieged, worldwake, m12. Pulled nothing and was sorely disappointed "exclusive" 7th Thron Elemental. :/

I did however manage to find the Counterpunch decks that I was looking for.

djcards
posted April 02, 2012 05:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for djcards Click Here to Email djcards Send a private message to djcards Click to send djcards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It wasn't walmart, but I found both Fire and Lighting and Elspeth vs Tezz at a Meijer both at $19.99. Needless to say I snagged them all. I have been checking ever since but have never gotten so lucky.

Zeckk
posted April 02, 2012 09:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Counterpunch hunting is really the only worthwhile deal at the Walmart/target stores right now, though I have been able to talk to a distributor for target about hunting down any unsold zendikar/worldwake fatpacks.

I was a happy camper last week when I found 3 counterpunch decks for 20 apeice on a side of town I don't normally go to.

mtglover
posted April 03, 2012 05:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtglover Click Here to Email mtglover Send a private message to mtglover Click to send mtglover an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtglover's Have/Want ListView mtglover's Have/Want List
What happened to the walmart price claim? Is it possible to show the cashier cheaper price packs on online stores to get discount?

Lord Crovax
posted April 03, 2012 06:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mtglover:
What happened to the walmart price claim? Is it possible to show the cashier cheaper price packs on online stores to get discount?

No cause walmart doesnt price them, therefor has no control on price.

trying2playagain
Banned
posted April 09, 2012 12:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for trying2playagain Click Here to Email trying2playagain Send a private message to trying2playagain Click to send trying2playagain an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So i had to go back to that wallmart today. Only place with in 50 miles that had a nintendo power. So i could get that kid icarus uprising ar cards. Checked again one of there classic packs was still 8.98. they had the 3 pack things with a promo card in it. Bought 1 It was the brion. not the broodmate. Are any of the dual decks worth picking up? Also since i stopped playing in tourneya during zen black and casual druing som. From what i read in other post the wwk packs are worth picking up at 3.98 each>

ZachSellsMagic
posted April 10, 2012 10:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ZachSellsMagic Click Here to Email ZachSellsMagic Send a private message to ZachSellsMagic Click to send ZachSellsMagic an Instant MessageVisit ZachSellsMagic's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ZachSellsMagic's Have/Want ListView ZachSellsMagic's Have/Want List
I have no hard evidence to back this up, but I'm a firm believer that there are 76 billion copies of foil 7th Thorn Elemental in existence.

Give or take a dozen.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League