Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Cube Questions

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Cube Questions
simbayu
posted April 26, 2012 10:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for simbayu Send a private message to simbayu Click to send simbayu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm in the process of making my first cube. I'm looking at 400 cards and have 50 WBURG, 50 Lands, 50 Artifacts, 50 Multicolor.

Is the above distribution of cards correct? Also, what is a good way to choose multicolor cards? How many cards per color combination?

Thanks in advance!

-Henry

[Edited 1 times, lastly by simbayu on April 26, 2012]

Volcanon
posted April 26, 2012 10:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
There's an active cube forum on mtgsally (that also isn't as crummy as the rest of that site).

I don't care much for absolute balance, myself.

psrex
posted April 26, 2012 11:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
I play 50 of each color, but only 30 multicolor, 40 artifact and 40 land. I found that multicolor were the least versatile and they were showing up way too much. I'm much happier now that they have a diminished presence.

Whatever you want is fine, however. You can build a balanced environment in lots of different ways.

CubFan81
posted April 26, 2012 11:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
I agree that the Cube section of Salvation is actually pretty good.

The obvious thing about a Cube is that you can make it however you want.

My peasant cube is 410 cards in all, 55 of each color, 55 multi, 40 colorless, and 40 lands. Though, it's probably coming down to 400 as the signet are on their way out.

I have 5 cards of each guild pair (ie: 5 white/blue, 5 blue/black, etc) and 1 of each Alara Shard.

WeedIan
posted April 26, 2012 12:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlHIOoL0opWbdEVvM3dpQXFVYXZDSGlWbGlXNEM4NHc

I try and keep colors balanced, but right now my multicolored isn't balanced.

13th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Aznopium
posted April 27, 2012 06:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
+1 to the mtgs cube forum.

i think my cube is at 500 and my splits are like
68 ea color, 85 multicolored (Duals,fetches,two colored cards), 75 artifact/lands.

chapman24
posted April 27, 2012 11:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for chapman24 Click Here to Email chapman24 Send a private message to chapman24 Click to send chapman24 an Instant MessageVisit chapman24's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chapman24's Have/Want ListView chapman24's Have/Want List
Multicolor cards run dry in some colors very fast so keeping balanced at 50 might be hard, I only have a 30 card multi color section. I feel balance is good, however the key to a good cube is supporting aggro and having plenty of mana fixing so games are not always mid range vs control.

+1 on the salvation cube forum, they have been helpful and it is quite active

caquaa
posted April 27, 2012 01:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
I balanced my multicolor selection itself, but not against the rest of the numbers. I believe I allotted 3 cards for each color pairing and 1 card for each shard. I axed all the 5 color cards because they never saw any play. Multicolor offered some very powerful options, but I wanted to keep the section small enough so 3 color decks didn't feel necessary.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League