Magic Discussion
  Best Block to Draft? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Best Block to Draft?
Zod1966
posted May 24, 2012 01:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zod1966 Send a private message to Zod1966 Click to send Zod1966 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

My friend's 40th birthday is coming up and his wife asked me to set up a Magic themed birthday party for him. He loves to draft and I was planning to set up a draft for the party.

My question is what Block would be the best one to draft? Skill intensive but fun at the same time? I was thinking Ravnica but I was curious as to what everyone here thought...thanks!!!

MAB_Rapper
posted May 24, 2012 01:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
Just to a wacky draft. They are the most fun.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

hilikuS
posted May 24, 2012 01:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Ravnica was my favorite if you can manage to get 1 from each set. Shards of Alara was pretty good too.

southparker2002
posted May 24, 2012 02:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
depends on how much you wanna spend. Shards would be cool but if you wanna spend a few hundred bucks, i'd do urza block or wrath cycle all the way!

Havoc Demon
posted May 24, 2012 02:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Rise of Eldrazi is still my favorite. Ravnica is good too.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

daner
posted May 24, 2012 04:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
The most fun, and skill intensive, is a complete goof draft. Starting with like Mirage or Tempest block, grab one of each block, up to 8, avoiding the bad ones like MM or COK. Have one pack of each block, so 24 totally different packs. Pass them out randomly to each of the 8 participants. You'll have an absolute blast going back into every set, and its super skill intensive for draft...bc there is a lot of things you have to remember you passed. Also each set adds a new mechanic, so playing with about 30 of them will get your brain going.

It can be pricey...but its well worth it.

Sovarius
posted May 24, 2012 05:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
The most fun, and skill intensive, is a complete goof draft. Starting with like Mirage or Tempest block, grab one of each block, up to 8, avoiding the bad ones like MM or COK. Have one pack of each block, so 24 totally different packs. Pass them out randomly to each of the 8 participants. You'll have an absolute blast going back into every set, and its super skill intensive for draft...bc there is a lot of things you have to remember you passed. Also each set adds a new mechanic, so playing with about 30 of them will get your brain going.

It can be pricey...but its well worth it.

This can be fun, but you also end up with useless mechanics - landfall, infect/poison, metalcraft, allies, phasing, shadow, fading, etc.

I would love the idea to work out though. I've played in a few chaos drafts but they all invariably ended up being archetypes that weren't able to utilize set mechanics - really it was a bunch of vanilla creatures in a way.

My trades
My sales

wayne
posted May 25, 2012 12:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Havoc Demon:

I second ROE

caquaa
posted May 25, 2012 02:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Havoc Demon:

odd, I found ROE to be one of the worst draft formats in recent memory.

My favorites were certainly ravnica block and lorwyn/Morningtide.

ectomanic
posted May 25, 2012 03:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ectomanic Click Here to Email ectomanic Send a private message to ectomanic Click to send ectomanic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
if you want fun but 0-skill triple eventide is the way to go.

otherwise id have to agree with those above in ravnica block was fun and skill intensive.

AEther Storm
posted May 25, 2012 03:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
avoid the crappy blocks (Onslaught, Kamigawa, Mirrodin, Masques) and you'll be fine.

For me, I'd be either Saga, Invasion or Oddysey block.

If you're doing a mix draft, be sure to add a round of Homelands/Fallen Empires boosters in there. Gotta love it.
(and if you pull any AEther Storms, LMK!)

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't
mind." -Dr. Seuss

Vegas10
posted May 25, 2012 05:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AEther Storm:
avoid the crappy blocks (Onslaught, Kamigawa, Mirrodin, Masques) and you'll be fine.

If you're doing a mix draft, be sure to add a round of Homelands/Fallen Empires boosters in there. Gotta love it.

Kamigawa may have been a weak set as far as constructed, but it was a good draft set, but not"one of the best" but definitly not one of the worst. If you want wacky get unglued or unhinged, but if you want fun competitive Rath Cycle is cool even though shadow is insane.

hilikuS
posted May 25, 2012 06:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by southparker2002:
depends on how much you wanna spend. Shards would be cool but if you wanna spend a few hundred bucks, i'd do urza block or wrath cycle all the way!

Yeah just realized. If you can still find a couple of the foil shards boxes for $70-80. That might be an option too. Gives you cards from all 3 sets, and everything is foil. Seems like a pretty cool thing for a birthday.

When MTGO had the Shards draft packs, they worked nicely. I think the foil packs are similar to that.

TheFettman
posted May 25, 2012 06:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheFettman Click Here to Email TheFettman Send a private message to TheFettman Click to send TheFettman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AEther Storm:

You sir have a good taste in draft blocks.

for me invasion block is stil te most fun

LemonMeringue
posted May 25, 2012 10:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
I really liked time spiral block draft

Drexus
posted May 25, 2012 11:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Drexus Click Here to Email Drexus Send a private message to Drexus Click to send Drexus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think Lorwyn by itself or RoE are definitely amongst the most fun sets to draft.

Ruiner
posted May 25, 2012 12:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ruiner Click Here to Email Ruiner Send a private message to Ruiner Click to send Ruiner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Kamigawa was actually really good for drafting I always found. I turns out the fact that the mechanics are insular is completely ok when you are only using cards from those sets. Go figure. It would likely be on the cheap too.

Rav block was fun too, but kinda annoying to draft with only certain color combos in certain packs, and expensive. I would recommend one of those blocks.

posted May 25, 2012 12:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 264505 Click Here to Email 264505 Send a private message to 264505 Click to send 264505 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 264505's Have/Want ListView 264505's Have/Want List
i liked ravnica block a lot, but if you want to do something interesting, you could chaos draft and give everyone a different booster

mm1983
posted May 25, 2012 02:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
It depends if you are looking for playability for being fun or for money cards. Here are some draft ideas that could really fall into both categories

Triple Onslaught - Chance at opening fetches
Mirrodin block (not scars block)
Ravnica block - Chance at opening shock lands and Bob, plus certain foil uncommons are decent money.
Triple Zendikar - Chance at opening fetches

flophaus
posted May 25, 2012 02:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I second (or 3rd?) the Rath Cycle.

Brings back good times. Although, Tempest is expensive!

Volcanon
posted May 25, 2012 06:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Triple Kamigawa is far superior to the garbage that is betrayers and saviours.
Onslaught is also good.

People recommending Saga and Rath forget how absurdly expensive those sets are.

daner
posted May 25, 2012 08:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
Triple Kamigawa is far superior to the garbage that is betrayers and saviours.
Onslaught is also good.

People recommending Saga and Rath forget how absurdly expensive those sets are.

Triple COK is fun until you realize that half the decks revolve around someone casting a common that instantly wins the game....forget about Devouring Greed much? Then you begin to remember that the set wasn't THAT much fun after all.

If the guys Wife said to set up a draft for her husband's BD I highly doubt that a Rath/Saga block draft is "absurdly expensive". It's going to be roughly $30 per set. So an 8 man is like $250? Max? That's not THAT bad when you think something as simple as renting out a pavillion at a park for everyone to get hammered drunk at will probably cost you more now a days.

Volcanon
posted May 25, 2012 08:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
Triple COK is fun until you realize that half the decks revolve around someone casting a common that instantly wins the game....forget about Devouring Greed much? Then you begin to remember that the set wasn't THAT much fun after all.

If the guys Wife said to set up a draft for her husband's BD I highly doubt that a Rath/Saga block draft is "absurdly expensive". It's going to be roughly $30 per set. So an 8 man is like $250? Max? That's not THAT bad when you think something as simple as renting out a pavillion at a park for everyone to get hammered drunk at will probably cost you more now a days.

Every set has a couple cards that are a bit too strong. The mere fact that devouring greed is in the set doesn't mean it's a terrible set.

undersow
posted May 25, 2012 09:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for undersow Click Here to Email undersow Send a private message to undersow Click to send undersow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View undersow's Have/Want ListView undersow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
odd, I found ROE to be one of the worst draft formats in recent memory.

My favorites were certainly ravnica block and lorwyn/Morningtide.

I agree with everything you said. I remember drafting roe getting my opponent to say 5 life then they play pendurka wurm (Pelakka Wurm, yes its an inside joke )and just win
rav block to me is ok but i enjoyed lorwyn block alot. my favorite is prolly time spiral.

JayC
posted May 25, 2012 11:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List
Ravnica and Time Spiral were both really great draft sets... in my opinion they really helped build Magic back after Kamigawa block's trash appearance.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League