Magic Discussion
  Legacy Deck Name History (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Legacy Deck Name History
VJames83
posted March 15, 2012 01:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for VJames83 Click Here to Email VJames83 Send a private message to VJames83 Click to send VJames83 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View VJames83's Have/Want ListView VJames83's Have/Want List
Ok dudes...I need some of you Legacy ballers to help me out. Do you know the origin of these deck names? I like this kind of trivial knowledge about MTG so I figured I'd reach out to some fellow traders.

'The Gate'
'Deadguy Ale'
'Rock'
'Nic Fit'
'Stax'

Probably more I can't think of right now.
Thanks!

airwalk
posted March 15, 2012 01:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The Rock started out when Apocalypse was released, Spiritmonger deck basically.

Stax started out in Vintage, evolving from the "Stacker 2" deck.

The Gate, Deadguy Ale and Nic Fit, I don't know, they are all 'new' archetypes to me.

Deadguy Ale just looks like what we used to call Junk.dec, not sure why the name changed.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by airwalk on March 15, 2012]

junichi
posted March 15, 2012 02:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Extended_The_Rock_deck

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Thanos
posted March 15, 2012 02:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
sdematt posted a good article about Rock here.

airwalk
posted March 15, 2012 02:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I forgot all about the earlier Phyrexian Plaguelord version, ahh Squirrels so much fun.

coasterdude84
posted March 15, 2012 02:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
Deadguy Ale was originally called "Rogue Deadguy Ale", after the beer with the same namesake. The premise was it was an unestablished (rogue) deck that started winning, and someone that was a fan of Deadguy said, "hmm...rogue...Rogue...Deadguy Ale..." and the name stuck. After it was pretty well established, the Rogue part was dropped.

Leastwise, that's the story I've been told, and it makes as much sense as anything else.

EDIT:
Stax referes to Smokestack, which was the central theme of the deck; basically a war of attrition. When Trinisphere, Chalice of the Void, and Crucible of Worlds were printed in Mirrodin block, it evolved into an annoying, albeit very strong, core, with Armageddons and Exalted Angels in the form of Angel Stax. Variations on this core bacame simply White Stax, MUD (artifacts only, brown frames look like mud I guess) and to a lesser extent Dragon Stompy (Red Stax with Rakdos Pit Dragon and Arc Slogger as a win condition) and Tezz Stax (Tezz likes artifacts, so this sort of works). Now, Stax is any deck that runs a Core of Chalice, 3-Sphere, Tangle Wire, Sphere of Resistance, and perhaps Smokestack (though these see less and less play these days).

[Edited 1 times, lastly by coasterdude84 on March 15, 2012]

TimeBeing
posted March 15, 2012 02:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by airwalk:

Stax started out in Vintage, evolving from the "Stacker 2" deck.

Also these deck tended to be based around Smokestack or similar effects.

caquaa
posted March 15, 2012 02:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

The Rock was originally a Type 2 Deck around the Urza Block designed by Sol Malka. It used Birds of Paradise and Llanowar Elves to get early mana development going and generate Card Advantage with Yavimaya Granger and Yavimaya Elder. In the end the game should be finished by "The Rock" Phyrexian Plaguelord (nicknamed after the professional wrestler and actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) clearing the board with "his millions" (tokens generated by Deranged Hermit)

I actually remember all this.... and it was a fun deck!

dfitzg88
posted March 15, 2012 04:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
Since it sort of works with this topic, I figured some of you would enjoy looking at it; Channelfireball's Magic TV just did a Top 8 of the Week: Worst Deck Names. It included some origins stories, although they didn't know most of the origins...

Nic Fit: “It’s Legacy, our deck names are awful. The term ‘Nic Fit’ is referring to the Veteran Explorer/Cabal Therapy interaction, where you’re shredding their hand with Cabal Therapy while each searching for basic lands.” -Caleb

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on March 15, 2012]

yakusoku
posted March 15, 2012 04:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
CFB Top 8 Worst Deck Names

Lord Crovax
posted March 15, 2012 05:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Gate a Mono Black deck using Gatekeeper? and sac effects?

dfitzg88
posted March 15, 2012 05:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?16885-Deck-The-Gate

i'm not sure if this is the original incarnation of the gate, or if this guy is just stealing the idea and pretending it's his, but here's a start.

VJames83
posted March 15, 2012 05:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for VJames83 Click Here to Email VJames83 Send a private message to VJames83 Click to send VJames83 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View VJames83's Have/Want ListView VJames83's Have/Want List
The Gate is definitely mono black. I was hoping the origin of the name was something more than just the fact that it plays Gatekeeper of Malakir, but I'm sure it's possible.

Great responses! You guys are baller.

Lord Crovax
posted March 15, 2012 06:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Some of the first Fish decks played Manta Riders and Rootwater Thief along side Lord of Atlantis!!

AGO
posted March 15, 2012 06:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Someone linked this awhile back but I always thought it was funny.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/249

The first MTG tournament. 1/1 beatdown.

HandicapParking
posted March 16, 2012 12:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for HandicapParking Click Here to Email HandicapParking Send a private message to HandicapParking Click to send HandicapParking an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yea people sucked back then. Has cop: red to deal with the goblin and Disenchants holy strength... Any good player nowadays would still have had the Disenchant when the Juggernaut dropped. Those were the good old days when nobody used the 2nd main phase, nobody played instants at the end of your turn, and nobody saved removal for cards that actually matter.

quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
Someone linked this awhile back but I always thought it was funny.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/249

The first MTG tournament. 1/1 beatdown.

Soldier Boi
posted March 16, 2012 09:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Could someone get me the old rock list with phyrexian plaguelord and derranged hermit?

AGO
posted March 16, 2012 09:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
This site has some good old deck lists

http://www.magicdeckvortex.com/search.htm

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AGO on March 16, 2012]

coasterdude84
posted March 16, 2012 09:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wall of Roots
4 Spike Feeder
4 Yavimaya Elder
2 Spike Weaver
4 Spirit Monger
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
4 Duress
2 Vampiric Tutor
2 Phyrexian Furnace
4 Pernicious Deed
1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Living Death

8 Forest
5 Swamp
4 Bayou
4 Treetop Village
2 Dust Bowl

I think there's an older one than that even. Plaguelord-Hermit was around well before Invasion block, so you wouldn't have had Spiritmonger or Deed, but I don't remember what else would have been in it.

AGO
posted March 16, 2012 09:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by coasterdude84:
I think there's an older one than that even. Plaguelord-Hermit was around well before Invasion block, so you wouldn't have had Spiritmonger or Deed, but I don't remember what else would have been in it.

Yeah I can't seem to find an old list.

Sovarius
posted March 16, 2012 11:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
Death and Taxes?

coasterdude84
posted March 16, 2012 01:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
Death and Taxes?

As I understood it, it was simply the name of White control, and made heavy use of Land Tax. "Death and Taxes" are commonly referred to as the 2 things in life that are unavoidable, thus the name. Versions now use Mangara and Karakas as a repeating Vindicate.

airwalk
posted March 16, 2012 01:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coasterdude84:
As I understood it, it was simply the name of White control, and made heavy use of Land Tax. "Death and Taxes" are commonly referred to as the 2 things in life that are unavoidable, thus the name. Versions now use Mangara and Karakas as a repeating Vindicate.

You're thinking of Parfait.

Death and Taxes never used Land Tax, IIRC Land Tax was never legal in 1.5/Legacy, and Death and Taxes never existed in Vintage.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by airwalk on March 16, 2012]

Havoc Demon
posted March 16, 2012 02:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Can't quite remember if its true, but I think Stax is also an acronym for, "The 4K Solution", playing off of its price tag.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

My blog:
http://wings0298.blogspot.com

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Havoc Demon on March 16, 2012]

airwalk
posted March 16, 2012 02:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Havoc Demon:
Can't quite remember if its true, but I think Stax is also an acronym for, "The 4K Solution", playing off of its price tag.

Yep, $T4KS was the acronym.

Some others:

Frog in a Blender - Why's it called Frog in a Blender? Because it's Red and Green!

ICT - Invicible Counter Troll, named after the mighty Sedge Troll, Morphlings super power rival of the time.

GAT - Grow-a-Tog, named for the every growing namesake Psychatog.

TNT - Tools and Tubbies, named after Su-Chi who supposedly looked like a Teletubby, the tools being 1-of utility creatures.

BSB - Britney Spears Boobs... can't remember why it was called this, something to do with Fact or Fiction I think. Maybe because it was also called BBS (Blue Bull S___) which is less 'nice' to say at a tournament.

I remember Fish decks being called Gay Fish long before South Park came along and ripped up Kanye West.

Anyone remember how Butterknives got it's name?

[Edited 4 times, lastly by airwalk on March 16, 2012]

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League