Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Original duals and premiums. (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Original duals and premiums.
2austin5
posted June 28, 2012 02:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
So I get that they are old, rare etc. But when you tell me that you have a HP Underground sea (usually 100-105 in that condition) why are you trying to tack on an extra 40-60%? Why would I pay/trade a premium for a damaged (to an extent) card? I think 10-20% for any dual would seem fair but why add such premiums if it s an eternal for eternal trade? Thank you in advance MOTL users

junichi
posted June 28, 2012 02:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
Don't trade with that person.

The 1832 edition of the American Frugal Housewife said that "nothing was better than earwax to prevent the painful effects resulting from a wound by a nail [or] skewer"; and also recommended earwax as a remedy for cracked lips.

2austin5
posted June 28, 2012 02:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
Believe me, I didn't, but what do you think fair premiums are? the premium should be based on condition right?

Mr.C
posted June 28, 2012 02:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
It depends what he wants.

junichi
posted June 28, 2012 03:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by 2austin5:
Believe me, I didn't, but what do you think fair premiums are? the premium should be based on condition right?

I wouldn't link premium with condition. The price of the card should reflect the condition of the card. Premium means "extra" on top of the value of the card.

I've had people who requested for a 20% premium in a $30 trade, because my Zendikar Fetchlands are worth less individually compare to his standard playable only planeswalker.

I've also traded a stack of standard cards for a Library of Alexandria and Mishra's Workshop at eBay prices with no premium requested.

All in all, fairness is pretty subjective.

The 1832 edition of the American Frugal Housewife said that "nothing was better than earwax to prevent the painful effects resulting from a wound by a nail [or] skewer"; and also recommended earwax as a remedy for cracked lips.

2austin5
posted June 28, 2012 03:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
alright, thank you for the help!

D'Shay
posted June 29, 2012 10:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
if it is worth 100-105 why would you want to tack on more?
if you determined value, why is it ok to move it out 10-20%?

this "premium" word is just a myth and story to me

Mr.C
posted June 29, 2012 11:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by D'Shay:
if it is worth 100-105 why would you want to tack on more?
if you determined value, why is it ok to move it out 10-20%?

this "premium" word is just a myth and story to me

I have a pile of $1 rares to trade straight across for your Legacy staples. PM me.

Zeckk
posted June 29, 2012 03:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
I enjoy seeing the premium argument come up at least once a week now.

Vegas10
posted June 29, 2012 05:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
People can ask for anything they want for there cards, and if that is above retail or whatever and someone wants to give them that whether in trade or cash that is the perrogative of the people involved in the deal. If you don't want to give a premium then don't move on to the next person.

Lord Crovax
posted June 29, 2012 07:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
I enjoy seeing the premium argument come up at least once a week now.

Same....one half says it doesn't exist but won't make trades like 100 one dollar cards for a 100 dollar card, and the other half gets all sorts of weird numbers and wants premiums on anything high value regardless of format use.

Then there is everyone in the middle that uses logic, and wins.

Zeckk
posted June 30, 2012 03:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
Same....one half says it doesn't exist but won't make trades like 100 one dollar cards for a 100 dollar card, and the other half gets all sorts of weird numbers and wants premiums on anything high value regardless of format use.

Then there is everyone in the middle that uses logic, and wins.

The biggest drawback of the "internet pricing" era of magic cards is the notion that every card in existence has a set price. This is troublesome because it leads to 2 issues.

1. People become inflexible when it comes to determining an acceptable trade, which makes trading not only tedious, but unsatisfying.

2. People become reluctant to "lose out" on a perceived trade if the card price is volatile, leaving a lot of otherwise happy magic players scared of being the guy that traded hot-ticket items for some crap rares.

The bottom line is that people on both ends of the "premium" argument often take it too far. MOTL itself encourages this when those asinine "pick which pile you would rather have" threads pop up, and some user's fanatic adherence to the MOTL price guide.

2austin5
posted June 30, 2012 04:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
I had no Idea the post bout premiums was a thing that pops up a lot, sorry for that

rats60
posted June 30, 2012 07:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
The biggest drawback of the "internet pricing" era of magic cards is the notion that every card in existence has a set price. This is troublesome because it leads to 2 issues.

1. People become inflexible when it comes to determining an acceptable trade, which makes trading not only tedious, but unsatisfying.

2. People become reluctant to "lose out" on a perceived trade if the card price is volatile, leaving a lot of otherwise happy magic players scared of being the guy that traded hot-ticket items for some crap rares.

The bottom line is that people on both ends of the "premium" argument often take it too far. MOTL itself encourages this when those asinine "pick which pile you would rather have" threads pop up, and some user's fanatic adherence to the MOTL price guide.

We all understand why you don't like price guides. You are only here to trade for profit. I'm sorry that the MOTL Price Guide is too difficult for you to learn how to use and spoils your notion that you should be able to rip every one off in every trade. You are better off trading in person. It is one thing to give a small premium like 5-20% to trade. It is guys like you who expect a 50%+ profit from every trade that ruin this place for people who want to trade for cards that they need.

Zeckk
posted July 01, 2012 12:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by rats60:
We all understand why you don't like price guides. You are only here to trade for profit. I'm sorry that the MOTL Price Guide is too difficult for you to learn how to use and spoils your notion that you should be able to rip every one off in every trade. You are better off trading in person. It is one thing to give a small premium like 5-20% to trade. It is guys like you who expect a 50%+ profit from every trade that ruin this place for people who want to trade for cards that they need.

I'm pretty amazed that you translated "use common sense when negotiating a trade" to "I HAVE TO HAVE 50% PROFIT ON MY SIDE AT ALL TIMES". Then again, maybe something was lost in the translation when you used Babelfish to go from english-to-idiot.

paragondave
posted July 01, 2012 02:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by rats60:

I just want to know who is holding a gun to your head and making you trade. If you don't like what is offered and can't negotiate to a trade that both parties is comfortable with, then don't make the trade. Why is that so hard to understand? No reason to get rude.

Bagbokk
posted July 01, 2012 02:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Premiums aren't really a hard concept, just trade with the people that don't want a huge % on their cards.

Price guides are a good thing. I don't see those drawbacks as truly being drawbacks. Yeah, in the short term, with regard to that trade, maybe you won't get what you wanted, but people losing value in their collection leads to them having to spend more money on the game. Money they might not have. They might be happy with the trade in the short term but when they try to get rid of their current deck and build a new one they won't be so happy when they realize that they could have gotten $200 for it but now it's only worth $50 because they traded all their valuable stuff away for crap. It's really just a delayed disappointment.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Bagbokk on July 01, 2012]

Zeckk
posted July 01, 2012 06:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bagbokk:
Premiums aren't really a hard concept, just trade with the people that don't want a huge % on their cards.

Price guides are a good thing. I don't see those drawbacks as truly being drawbacks. Yeah, in the short term, with regard to that trade, maybe you won't get what you wanted, but people losing value in their collection leads to them having to spend more money on the game. Money they might not have. They might be happy with the trade in the short term but when they try to get rid of their current deck and build a new one they won't be so happy when they realize that they could have gotten $200 for it but now it's only worth $50 because they traded all their valuable stuff away for crap. It's really just a delayed disappointment.

Like everything else in magic, trades require context. Are you trying to get a hold of a standard staple a week before your big tourney? Or are you just trying to chip away at your set collection?

Just as an example, take Elesh Norn. She's had a relatively bumpy price path in standard, and pretty soon she's going to be rotating out. Her price point in 2 months could be wildly different than 4 months, and her outlook a year from now could be even more different. There are definitely traders out there solely looking to "get value", but the reality is that someone might be looking to pick up elesh norn (or dump them) before the meta dictates a higher (or lower) price point.

This is where internet pricing creates issues. Chas Andres wrote an extremely good article about the buyer's remorse and the trading heuristics (http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/traderous-instinct-the-sunk-cost-fallacy/) which essentially explains that "losing" on a trade stands out in your mind a lot more than "winning" on a trade, and even if you end up with the better pile in the long-term, the sting of losing value a few weeks after the trade is complete can make you hesitant to trade in the future.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but it relates to premiums in the notion that common sense should prevail once ballpark values have been established. If someone can't get a deal done without having that mythical 'value' on their side of the deal, then it's usually not worth the cards and effort.

Solidarity
posted July 01, 2012 08:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Solidarity Send a private message to Solidarity Click to send Solidarity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with premiums when trading up, but MTG has always been about playing a game. If you want to try and make a living by attempting to ghetto arb some trading cards , then I'm going to think that you're pathetic.

You're willing to trade your Duals? Well, don't tell me you'll only do it for a 25-50% premium! That's totally asinine, and a waste of my time and other resources.

Almost as bad as the traders who have huge Legacy / Vintage "wants," followed by a list of never-ending crap $0.25 T2 "haves."

paragondave
posted July 01, 2012 10:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Solidarity:
I have no problem with premiums when trading up, but MTG has always been about playing a game. If you want to try and make a living by attempting to ghetto arb some trading cards , then I'm going to think that you're pathetic.

You're willing to trade your Duals? Well, don't tell me you'll only do it for a 25-50% premium! That's totally asinine, and a waste of my time and other resources.

Almost as bad as the traders who have huge Legacy / Vintage "wants," followed by a list of never-ending crap $0.25 T2 "haves."

yer funny... I bet you're a Republican too!

D'Shay
posted July 02, 2012 06:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
I have a pile of $1 rares to trade straight across for your Legacy staples. PM me.

i agree it is fair if i want those cards and the value's line up

$100 in stuff is the same as another $100 in stuff...

ok im done

thanks

Ashnod'sPants
posted July 02, 2012 09:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ashnod'sPants Click Here to Email Ashnod'sPants Send a private message to Ashnod'sPants Click to send Ashnod'sPants an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Solidarity complains about premiums.
Solidarity says the people who don't honor premiums are worse.

Solidarity
posted July 02, 2012 10:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Solidarity Send a private message to Solidarity Click to send Solidarity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod'sPants:
Solidarity complains about premiums.
Solidarity says the people who don't honor premiums are worse.

Except that's a gross oversimplification...

If I'm trading Zen fetches for duals, forcing me to pay a 25-50% premium is patently absurd -- I could simply sell the fetches at a huge discount and outright buy the dual!

On the other hand, those $0.25 rares are rarely worth even $0.25 (and oftentimes, people will want to value them at $0.50 to $1.00). While the concept of a "premium" may have thrown you for a loop, if you want to trade me some bulk rares at market value ($0.10 to $0.15 per), I'll be more than glad to give you par value on duals.

[Edited 3 times, lastly by Solidarity on July 02, 2012]

paragondave
posted July 02, 2012 09:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Except that's a gross oversimplification...

If I'm trading Zen fetches for duals, forcing me to pay a 25-50% premium is patently absurd -- I could simply sell the fetches at a huge discount and outright buy the dual!

On the other hand, those $0.25 rares are rarely worth even $0.25 (and oftentimes, people will want to value them at $0.50 to $1.00). While the concept of a "premium" may have thrown you for a loop, if you want to trade me some bulk rares at market value ($0.10 to $0.15 per), I'll be more than glad to give you par value on duals.

Dude, nobody is FORCING you to do anything. That's the freaking point. If you don't want to trade up for duals and offer a premium then don't trade to that person. If you can't find anyone to trade you duals at even value for your fetches, then you get to keep your fetches or sell them and buy the cards you want! Deal with it.

I'd charge a headache premium to trade with you.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by paragondave on July 02, 2012]

mm1983
posted July 11, 2012 06:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
You could sell those same cards for $100-105 and buy a dual land but there are always people who will trade up 25% above value for a dual for the convenience of not having to take extra time to sell those cards. An extra $20-30 for a couple hours of additional work isn't worth it when you can find someone who wants all of those cards for their dual land that you want.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League