Should I play MTGO? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Should I play MTGO?
WapsNext
Banned
posted March 23, 2012 02:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WapsNext Click Here to Email WapsNext Send a private message to WapsNext Click to send WapsNext an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So I've been thinking about MTGO for a while. I draft at my LGS Tuesday nights, and I do sealed most Friday nights that I can get off, but other than that it's difficult for me to play much. I really enjoy limited formats, and I have very few friends IRL who play Magic. Would MTGO be something for me?

Loathing
posted March 23, 2012 02:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Loathing Click Here to Email Loathing Send a private message to Loathing Click to send Loathing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yes, but drafting on MTGO quickly becomes a huge moneysink.

mattw
posted March 23, 2012 03:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
True, its easy to get addicted to drafting. Dropped like 1500 in 2 months. Slightly regret that. haha

xxxcryoserumxxx
posted March 23, 2012 03:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for xxxcryoserumxxx Click Here to Email xxxcryoserumxxx Send a private message to xxxcryoserumxxx Click to send xxxcryoserumxxx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View xxxcryoserumxxx's Have/Want ListView xxxcryoserumxxx's Have/Want List
@mattw Is that $1500. If so dear god, I will never touch mtgo cause I will starve. Damn these more expensive then drug addictions.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by xxxcryoserumxxx on March 23, 2012]

WapsNext
Banned
posted March 24, 2012 10:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WapsNext Click Here to Email WapsNext Send a private message to WapsNext Click to send WapsNext an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
How much is each draft on MTGO?

mattw
posted March 24, 2012 12:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
yeah, 1500 bucks. I love ramen noodles!

Each draft is 14 tix(dollars)

Whats even worse is I spent that much plus liquidated every card I got to bots to play even more. Probably could have redeemed an entire playset of scars block. lol

Edit: Drafts vary I guess. 4 pack sealed is 16 tix I believe, pre-release stuff is different too. There are mods on the site to help and links that are helpful to check out. If you do play I would set a limit to how much you can spend a month and stick to it. Takes willpower

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mattw on March 24, 2012]

WapsNext
Banned
posted March 24, 2012 02:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WapsNext Click Here to Email WapsNext Send a private message to WapsNext Click to send WapsNext an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Crikey that's not much cheaper than real drafts at my lgs.

Th3Sparkl3r
posted March 24, 2012 02:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Th3Sparkl3r Click Here to Email Th3Sparkl3r Send a private message to Th3Sparkl3r Click to send Th3Sparkl3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want ListView Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want List
I've thought about playing MTGO, but I just can't justify spending the kind of money on virtual cards that I do on paper magic with nothing to really show for it...if you could redeem any of the cards for paper versions if definitely do it, but having to collect an entire set before redeeming them just doesn't make any financial sense to me.

mattw
posted March 24, 2012 02:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
My living room is the closest thing to an LGS within 500 kilometers.

I dunno, Modo is fun. Just gotta have self control.

Volcanon
posted March 24, 2012 06:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Before they started inexplicably rotating Vanguard, I had a lot of fun with Momir Madness as a casual deck (basically Momir with all of the good Madness cards).

MTDetermine
posted March 24, 2012 08:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mattw:
True, its easy to get addicted to drafting. Dropped like 1500 in 2 months. Slightly regret that. haha

Why is it easy to get addicted to drafting on MTGO, as compared to real life drafting?

I have yet to meet a person who draft $1500 in 2 months in any LGS...............Curious on the magical differences between MTGO and LGS drafting

Thanos
posted March 24, 2012 08:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTDetermine:
Why is it easy to get addicted to drafting on MTGO, as compared to real life drafting?

I have yet to meet a person who draft $1500 in 2 months in any LGS...............Curious on the magical differences between MTGO and LGS drafting

Probably cause it's not really possible to play that many at LGS in that amount of time, as to where on MTGO you can play at any given time.

nderdog
posted March 24, 2012 08:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MTDetermine:

No need to track down enough other local players every time you want to draft or figure out a place to play at 2 in the morning. You can draft while you eat and not worry about spilling or getting cards greasy. You don't have to worry about looking nice or smelling good.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

mattw
posted March 24, 2012 08:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
Like I said, I would have to drive 8 hours to a shop that even has fnm.

I order boxes of boosters for 150 bucks a pop to hold my own drafts now.

thror
posted March 24, 2012 08:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Like I said, I would have to drive 8 hours to a shop that even has fnm.

I order boxes of boosters for 150 bucks a pop to hold my own drafts now.

$150 for a box? 36 packs? If you're ordering online, you should be paying about $90.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

choco man
posted March 24, 2012 08:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
You don't have to worry about looking nice or smelling good.

Well then, I wonder what nderwife thinks about MTGO?

mattw
posted March 24, 2012 08:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
well then link me to a site that is gonna charge me 90 dollars for a box of boosters that will ship it to northern canada

Kyzneg
posted March 24, 2012 09:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kyzneg Click Here to Email Kyzneg Send a private message to Kyzneg Click to send Kyzneg an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
well then link me to a site that is gonna charge me 90 dollars for a box of boosters that will ship it to northern canada

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/ looks like they'd ship to the location in your profile for about $105 for a box of DKA.

mtglover
posted March 24, 2012 11:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtglover Click Here to Email mtglover Send a private message to mtglover Click to send mtglover an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtglover's Have/Want ListView mtglover's Have/Want List
If you're just drafting, how much you spend also depends on how good you are in drafting. Not everybody spend $1,500 in a 2 month period even if they draft 24/7. There are players who are really good at it and win alot more than they lose.

mattw
posted March 25, 2012 12:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mtglover:
If you're just drafting, how much you spend also depends on how good you are in drafting. Not everybody spend $1,500 in a 2 month period even if they draft 24/7. There are players who are really good at it and win alot more than they lose.

if you are trying to question my ability then just nevermind. I do my research and i pay attention to what wins. don't try to undermine my spending

nderdog
posted March 25, 2012 10:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzneg:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/ looks like they'd ship to the location in your profile for about $105 for a box of DKA.

Yeah, no. Read the description below every one of their booster boxes. "Due to distribution restrictions we are only able to ship this product to the United States, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. "

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Kyzneg
posted March 25, 2012 01:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kyzneg Click Here to Email Kyzneg Send a private message to Kyzneg Click to send Kyzneg an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ah, my mistake, I missed that when I initially looked, it's not something I've had to check for in the past.

Demilio
posted March 25, 2012 02:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
You can draft for free w/ a program like Cockatrice. mtgo is not worth it.

airwalk
posted March 25, 2012 02:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think you would like MTGO. It's great if you don't have a regular playgroup to draft with. It can get expensive because you can draft anytime you want so if you're bored you can end up overspending. Just limit yourself, I don't like to put too much into it because I'm unlikely to ever redeem any sets, but is great for scratching that itch to draft occasionally.

AlmostGrown
posted March 25, 2012 06:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
list of free mtgo bots:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=236319

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League