Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Biggest MTG event of the year?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Biggest MTG event of the year?
Hypnotic Spector
posted February 20, 2012 07:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hypnotic Spector Send a private message to Hypnotic Spector Click to send Hypnotic Spector an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Hypnotic Spector's Have/Want ListView Hypnotic Spector's Have/Want List
Hi guys,

Kind of a noob here, at least when it comes to playing (played 15 years ago, pretty much just collect now). Where I grew up there was me, my brother and the other guy in town who played MTG so I never got much exposure at all.

Anyways, I was wondering what/where is the biggest major event(s) in North America? Is it the GP's? SCG opens?

I'm mostly looking for the biggest yearly gathering for MTG players, so I can plan a yearly road trip with a friend and have it be worth it. Also a good place to see some nice/really rare cards, just for fun.

So, to sum it all up? If you could do it once a year, any place, where and when?

Thanks guys and hope this is posted in the right forum!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Hypnotic Spector on February 20, 2012]

Vegas10
posted February 20, 2012 07:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
Gen Con in Indy in August 4 days of gamming ton of major magic events

dwiz
posted February 20, 2012 07:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
Agreed that Gen Con is awesome. GPs are huge also, but keep in mind, big competitive events usually aren't fun.

Hypnotic Spector
posted February 20, 2012 07:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hypnotic Spector Send a private message to Hypnotic Spector Click to send Hypnotic Spector an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Hypnotic Spector's Have/Want ListView Hypnotic Spector's Have/Want List
Thanks guys. Not as much into the gaming as I will be the experience, trading, buying and just general interaction.

Hypnotic Spector
posted February 20, 2012 07:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hypnotic Spector Send a private message to Hypnotic Spector Click to send Hypnotic Spector an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Hypnotic Spector's Have/Want ListView Hypnotic Spector's Have/Want List
Thanks guys. Not as much into the gaming as I will be the experience, trading, buying and just general interaction.

AlmostGrown
posted February 20, 2012 12:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
If you're going to one event a year and don't care much about the players or playing, then go to GenCon.

mm1983
posted February 20, 2012 03:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Never been to GenCon but have only heard that it's the biggest MTG event in the US every year. Many of the GPs and SCG events are huge events as well. No matter what the event is it's always a great experience at any event just to buy and sell with the dealers.

gaeacradle
posted February 20, 2012 07:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
If you go to Gen Con, just make sure you watch your stuff VERY carefully. There was a huge number of thefts last year.

telmagic20
posted February 21, 2012 01:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for telmagic20 Click Here to Email telmagic20 Send a private message to telmagic20 Click to send telmagic20 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gaeacradle:
If you go to Gen Con, just make sure you watch your stuff VERY carefully. There was a huge number of thefts last year.

thats good advice for going anywhere even local magic shops

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League