Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What Happens With Bad deals on Ebay?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What Happens With Bad deals on Ebay?
MrblueDuck
posted January 31, 2012 01:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MrblueDuck Click Here to Email MrblueDuck Send a private message to MrblueDuck Click to send MrblueDuck an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MrblueDuck's Have/Want ListView MrblueDuck's Have/Want List
So every once in a while there is a card on Ebay that is about to sell for pretty cheap, or has a low buy it now.

The catch (always a catch) is the seller almost always has no refs. What happens if I get sent a counterfeit card, sends nothing, or sends something entirely different. How easy is it dealing with Ebay in order to get my money back? Anyone with past experience in this type of thing would be great.

Crash21
posted January 31, 2012 08:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Crash21 Click Here to Email Crash21 Send a private message to Crash21 Click to send Crash21 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Crash21's Have/Want ListView Crash21's Have/Want List
If you use paypal to pay for the card, it's fairly easy to retract the payment if you didn't receive what you paid for, from what I'm told.

CoupDeGrace
posted January 31, 2012 09:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash21:
If you use paypal to pay for the card, it's fairly easy to retract the payment if you didn't receive what you paid for, from what I'm told.

Can he be refunded if the seller withdraw all the funds from his a/c ?

Th3Sparkl3r
posted January 31, 2012 09:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Th3Sparkl3r Click Here to Email Th3Sparkl3r Send a private message to Th3Sparkl3r Click to send Th3Sparkl3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want ListView Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by CoupDeGrace:
Can he be refunded if the seller withdraw all the funds from his a/c ?

yup, if he files a complaint with paypal they'll lock his account and pay the refund out of their own funds. He won't be able to do business again until he repays them and they release his account/funds.

CoupDeGrace
posted January 31, 2012 09:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Th3Sparkl3r:
yup, if he files a complaint with paypal they'll lock his account and pay the refund out of their own funds. He won't be able to do business again until he repays them and they release his account/funds.

That seller might able to create another paypal account.

Th3Sparkl3r
posted January 31, 2012 09:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Th3Sparkl3r Click Here to Email Th3Sparkl3r Send a private message to Th3Sparkl3r Click to send Th3Sparkl3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want ListView Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want List
quote:
That seller might able to create another paypal account.

He'll need to make another bank account first, under a different address. You're only ever allowed one paypal account, so usually it's easier to get the first account unlocked than go through the trouble of making a second one and losing his feedback on the previous account.

CoupDeGrace
posted January 31, 2012 09:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Th3Sparkl3r:
He'll need to make another bank account first, under a different address. You're only ever allowed one paypal account, so usually it's easier to get the first account unlocked than go through the trouble of making a second one and losing his feedback on the previous account.

I have one bank a/c and two credit cards. I used to have old paypal a/c which was registered with my first credit card. After that first a/c was closed down, i created another paypal a/c with my second credit card.

The point which i trying to state that seller might be able to get away with this if they withdrew/used up the funds at one shot.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by CoupDeGrace on January 31, 2012]

Th3Sparkl3r
posted January 31, 2012 10:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Th3Sparkl3r Click Here to Email Th3Sparkl3r Send a private message to Th3Sparkl3r Click to send Th3Sparkl3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want ListView Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want List
quote:
I have one bank a/c and two credit cards. I used to have old paypal a/c which was registered with my first credit card. After that first a/c was closed down, i created another paypal a/c with my second credit card.

The point which i trying to state that seller might be able to get away with this if they withdrew/used up the funds at one shot.

There are ways to go about trying to get your money back. Paypal will reimburse your losses for transactions through ebay. Who cares what the seller does, so long as you get your money back? If you follow eBay's guidelines that won't be a problem. Don't pay them with a money order, personal check, clams, widgets, or anything else but PayPal and you won't have a problem. The argument of "well I made a second account and blah blah" is pointless: PayPal will refund the money and THEY will go after the seller. It's not something you have to worry about.

caquaa
posted January 31, 2012 10:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
I've ran into it quite a few times where I win an underpriced item and the seller just refuses to send to me for various reasons. Just neg them and move on if that happens.

jshields
posted February 01, 2012 08:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I also have had bad deals happen to me on ebay. Obviously, as others have said, it seems more reasonable to talk with the seller first over ebay messages so you have documented communication. If you are unable to get a problem resolved, then your next step involves filing a claim of your item being lost, damaged, not as described, etc on the resolution center. Normally, ebay will help the people involved to reach a resolution to their problem, but if the seller does not follow up promptly, then you may get a full refund if you escalate the claim.

As an example, I had a number of problems preordering singles from innistrad on the site recently with a store called KYGamers (maybe KentuckyGamers). While I did not have problems with them previously, they never included delivery confirmaton as proof of shipping, and unfortunately my $15 or so of innistrad cards that I ordered were lost. The store said they normally did not include delivery confirmation on any order (always a bad idea when selling on ebay, as people can send fake complaints that you never sent your item) and did not have a copy of the postage receipt showing they mailed my cards. I was still missing my cards that I ordered 6 weeks after the release of innistrad from their store and as a result of their lack of proof of shipping, I was given a full refund by Ebay // Pay Pal.

The whole ordeal can be very stressful for either side, but if you are ripped off of cards you ordered, then Ebay does include buyer protecton.

However, as a seller, I can say that even if you include delivery confirmation and insurance for cards you send that end up damaged or lost, then you have zilch seller protection despite all efforts on your behalf to help the buyer (who also may be filing a fake claim against you). Despite refunding the customer, ebay can then lock your selling account for any arbitrary reason without further explanation, and that is the other side of the story for sales on ebay. If that happens, then there is absolutely no way to contest or appeal for removal of selling restrictions, no matter how many ebay reps you talk with.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jshields on February 01, 2012]

yorib
posted February 02, 2012 06:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yorib Send a private message to yorib Click to send yorib an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If what you bought isn't what's described, you file a claim through eBay. After a week, eBay will either rule in your favor and you'll get a full refund (including shipping) or against you.

I've done it, it's very easy and straightforward.

This assumes, of course, that you were unable to reach a resolution with the other party.

djcards
posted February 03, 2012 09:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for djcards Click Here to Email djcards Send a private message to djcards Click to send djcards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have had this happen to me:
I am about to win an auction at what would be considered a fraction of the potential cost, and the seller just magically ends the auction stating somehow that the item is "no longer available for sale".
Any idea how this happens, and why its allowed?
(not trying to hijack, its just somewhat relevant)

Bagbokk
posted February 03, 2012 09:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djcards:
I am about to win an auction at what would be considered a fraction of the potential cost, and the seller just magically ends the auction stating somehow that the item is "no longer available for sale".

Well, I know how it happens is that whenever you sell something you can just select "End Item" and it'll give you a list of reasons to choose from for why you're ending it. I use it quite often when I cross-list cards so I can end the auction as soon as a deal is confirmed here, or I can remove the card from my list as soon as it sells on eBay. I'm not sure why it's allowed for auctions that are about to end, though.

As far as the original post, I've never filed a claim for item not as described (as opposed to "item not received") so I honestly don't know what happens in those cases. For items not received cases, it's really easy because if the seller doesn't provide a tracking number that shows it as delivered, they simply lose; it's sort of like MOTL BTAs here.

Also, since it was brought up in discussion earlier in the thread--PayPal changed their policy a few years back so that you'll always get your money back from a bad purchase no matter what, regardless of whether the seller has money in his account or not.

dwiz
posted February 04, 2012 01:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by djcards:

You can't end the item for any reason within 12 hours of the auction ending, it's been that way for years. The system will not let you.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League