Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  BGS and PSA grading... what's the deal?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   BGS and PSA grading... what's the deal?
MagicPatty
posted February 03, 2012 07:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
It seems that every card worth more than 10 bucks is apparently worth three times its value if you get it to grade at a 9 or higher. I was under the impression that a 50 dollar card is worth 50 dollars in pristine shape. If it has some wear and tear, we players tend to value it a little less. For some reason though, if a card in fantastic shape is graded it breaks the rules...

some examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singing-Tree-ARABIAN-NIGHTS-SIGNED-MTG-MAGIC-PSA-8-/300468153450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f54c2c6a

Singing Tree at 40 bucks? It's tough to find someone who will give 20!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clay-Statue-ID-3487-ANTIQUITIES-GRADED-MTG-BGS-9-5-/270796588493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0cbc05cd

...it's a Clay Statue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mox-Sapphire-UNLIMITED-MTG-MAGIC-GEM-MINT-BGS-9-5-/270658282537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f047da429

triple the value really? I understand it's hard to find a mox in this good shape, but a Sapphire is worth say 550.00. We don't put it at 550.00 assuming that all Sapphires are beat up or even just gently played. We put them at 550, period.

So is a BGS / PSA wrapper worth 1000 dollars on a mox if it has a 9 in the corner? What exactly are we paying for? ...proof that the card is in near mint condition? why not just look at the freakin' card. Its becoming hard to find an old staple that isnt graded and inflated... kinda discouraging really.

Sorry for the rant, but what do you guys think? Passing fad, or is this just the way it is now?

Tha Gunslinga
posted February 03, 2012 08:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
Those cards have not sold, because they are overpriced. You should look at completed items to find actual relevant prices.

djcards
posted February 03, 2012 08:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for djcards Click Here to Email djcards Send a private message to djcards Click to send djcards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am no expert, but some of the appeal could simply be a standard used to grade. Everyone likes to think they know what a "mint" card is, but my definition could differ from yours. When you go an look at the scale the psa or bgs use, you know exactly what your getting.
That being said, as a player a rated card is worthless to me because, I can't use it.

thror
posted February 03, 2012 08:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
All of those auctions are from ABUgames. There's your first problem.

And as slinga said, just because some moron wants 10k for their widget does not make the widget worth 10k.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Havoc Demon
posted February 03, 2012 08:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's ABU being ABU. Nothing to see here.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

My blog:
http://wings0298.blogspot.com

coasterdude84
posted February 03, 2012 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
With all that said, Magic cards are approaching that age where:

A) Many early players are grown up and have become collectors of things they used to play with, and have the money to spend.

B) Graded 9+ versions of these cards are getting harder and harder to find. 10 years ago, it wasn't too tough to find a really nice Mox Whatever, but now, for a truly mint one, you'll have to shell out some serious money.

C) There is competition amongst collectors to have the nicest version of a complete set. For instance, while many of us may never own a complete set of Alpha, those that do spend the majority of their time upgrading their sets, i.e., exchanging all their 8s for 9 or 10s. BGS and PSA are measures that help them do this.

This isn't some new trend of taking nice looking cards and having them graded just to get the value up, it's just a new trend for Magic. This sort of shenanigans has been going on in baseball cards for at least 25 years. While 3x the normal rate may be a bit optimistic, a 40% premium is what you'd typically expect to pay for identical cards (at least for baseball cards).

For whatever it's worth, I use the following graders for cards of these eras:

Pre-WWII, SCG (Sports Card Guarantee, not Starcity) - they make nice cases, especially for the tobacco and caramel cards.
Post-WWII - 1990, PSA
Post-1990, BGS (all Magic, in other words)

Jace Tezzeret
posted February 06, 2012 05:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jace Tezzeret Click Here to Email Jace Tezzeret Send a private message to Jace Tezzeret Click to send Jace Tezzeret an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Does anybody actually buy cards from ABU Games?

TimeBeing
posted February 06, 2012 11:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
also BSG 9.5 is not an easy grade to get even on an old magic card. So it's kind of a guarantee of mintness, rarity and quality. And people are willing to pay a premium for that.

A good example of the difference in a 8.5 and 9.5.
8.5 Juzam
http://bit.ly/w2viqb

9.5 Juzam
http://bit.ly/zjZj5m

both completed auctions.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by TimeBeing on February 06, 2012]

junichi
posted February 06, 2012 11:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Tezzeret:

I've bought a lot of alpha/beta/legend/arabian night stuff from them at really good price.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Thanos
posted February 06, 2012 03:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Tezzeret:

If I buy anything from them, it's always directly from their website, the prices are a little cheaper than their ebay prices.

timmerman121
posted February 06, 2012 03:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for timmerman121 Send a private message to timmerman121 Click to send timmerman121 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
grading cards is for people to feel better about themselves paying rediculous amounts of money for their cards.... lol @ the one paying 800 dollars for a juzam. this is why collectors cry "foul" about reprint policy.

my graded sports cards used to be worth a boat load too! same song and dance!!

flophaus
posted February 07, 2012 05:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sports cards are a completely different animal, as they have no functionality compared to a CCG/TCG card, however, it does seem like a bubble is brewing with graded MTG cards.

Yeah, the whole reprint thing would drive me nuts if I had a bunch of graded stuff!

I guess that's just another unintended consequence of a secondary market in a gaming world when monetary value is at stake.

Edit:

@ "Does anyone actually buy from ABU"
-JaceTezz

No, of course not. That's how they've been in business for like eternity...

(sorry for being rude... but c'mon bro!)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by flophaus on February 07, 2012]

airwalk
posted February 07, 2012 05:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timmerman121:
grading cards is for people to feel better about themselves

...and I stopped reading there.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League