Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Foil alters on ebay... are these real / legal?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Foil alters on ebay... are these real / legal?
MagicPatty
posted February 15, 2012 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
A post for reference:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Thoughtseize-ALTERED-ART-FOIL-/150759142594?_trksid=p4340.m444&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%252BCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%252BSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA %26otn%3D15%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6354092660274690090

They keep stating that these are done on real cards, and that alters are legal, but they don't state whether their cards are the actual card, as in tournament legal.

Is this actually allowed?
Are these things legal?
How is it done?

MAB_Rapper
posted February 15, 2012 01:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
I believe that as long as the card name, mana cost, and text are shown, it's legal.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

airwalk
posted February 15, 2012 01:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's up to the judge to decide.

Tha Gunslinga
posted February 15, 2012 01:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
It depends if it's an altered Thoughtseize or if it's just printed on some random card. Kind of hard to tell from the description unless I'm missing something.

MagicPatty
posted February 15, 2012 01:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Tha Gunslinga:
It depends if it's an altered Thoughtseize or if it's just printed on some random card. Kind of hard to tell from the description unless I'm missing something.

Exactly! - no where does it say that this Thoughtseize is a Thougtseize and not a Swamp...

Numotflame96
posted February 15, 2012 04:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Numotflame96 Click Here to Email Numotflame96 Send a private message to Numotflame96 Click to send Numotflame96 an Instant MessageVisit Numotflame96's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The whole thing seems odd to me, however if you watch the video, it seems like who ever is selling these is going through a lot of effort to make sure that the cards are playable, and it soundsas though he is also making sure to go through the proper process to avoid copyright infringement. I'm still not entirely sure if having stuff printed on cards falls under the artistic modifications allowed on a card. The only real way to know would be to ask on the mother-site. I have a feeling people would call these out a lot in tournaments claiming they are fakes just because there are so many fakes floating around that look generally similar.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Numotflame96 on February 15, 2012]

AGO
posted February 15, 2012 06:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
If you have to ask if it's real then it most likley is not real.

dwiz
posted February 15, 2012 07:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
No returns and some poor feedback. I wouldn't, but Megan Fox, I would.

Zakman86
posted February 15, 2012 07:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zakman86's Have/Want ListView Zakman86's Have/Want List
I wouldn't allow them.

daner
posted February 15, 2012 10:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
The Dual Lands flowing picture looks amazing. Too bad the price is outrageous for cards you probably wouldn't be able to use in a sanctioned event.

ScottyStyles
posted February 15, 2012 10:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ScottyStyles Click Here to Email ScottyStyles Send a private message to ScottyStyles Click to send ScottyStyles an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't allow it, either. The rules state that the original art must be visible and easily recognized.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by ScottyStyles on February 15, 2012]

Pringlesman
posted February 15, 2012 10:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pringlesman Click Here to Email Pringlesman Send a private message to Pringlesman Click to send Pringlesman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottyStyles:
I wouldn't allow it, either. The rules state that the original art must be visible and easily recognized.

No it doesn't.

quote:
=comprehensive rules
Artistic modifications are acceptable in sanctioned tournaments, provided that the modifications do not make the
card unrecognizable, contain substantial strategic advice, or contain offensive images. Artistic modifications also
may not obstruct or change the mana cost or name of the card.

It says makes the card unrecognizeable. Not the card's art. There are other ways of a card being recognizable besides the art.

caquaa
posted February 15, 2012 11:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
I wouldn't allow them as a judge at anything beyond a FNM. If they are thicker or weight more, even ever so slightly, you can tell the difference if you've played this game long enough. For FNM or such, as long as I felt the card was a real card and a foil layer applied, I wouldn't have a problem with it. GP, PTQ, etc, then we'd have an issue.

Zakman86
posted February 16, 2012 10:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zakman86's Have/Want ListView Zakman86's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
I wouldn't allow them as a judge at anything beyond a FNM. If they are thicker or weight more, even ever so slightly, you can tell the difference if you've played this game long enough. For FNM or such, as long as I felt the card was a real card and a foil layer applied, I wouldn't have a problem with it. GP, PTQ, etc, then we'd have an issue.

The problem isn't that they're altered, the problem is that you can't tell if it's a real card.

Meddling Pimp
posted February 16, 2012 11:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Meddling Pimp Click Here to Email Meddling Pimp Send a private message to Meddling Pimp Click to send Meddling Pimp an Instant MessageVisit Meddling Pimp's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't allow them in any of my events, even if they are real Thoughtseizes.

MagicPatty
posted February 16, 2012 12:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
So I'm sure several of us know of acetoning a foil cards face off, then printing on a transparency, then spray glue to create a proxy foil. These are much heavier, thicker, and are quite easy to detect. They still look cool, but aren't of this quality.

How are they doing this?

Jazaray
posted February 16, 2012 09:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pringlesman:
[B] =comprehensive rules
Artistic modifications are acceptable in sanctioned tournaments, provided that the modifications do not make the
card unrecognizable, contain substantial strategic advice, or contain offensive images. Artistic modifications also
may not obstruct or change the mana cost or name of the card.

However, it DOES state that the card may not obstruct the mana cost or name of the card, which most of their cards do, so no, they are not tournament legal.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Jaz is now selling Tupperware! Help her out! ;)

Demilio
posted February 17, 2012 08:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
These are the ugliest things I've ever seen. I can't believe how much people are spending on these. The $100+ that people have spent on the dual lands from this guy is just insane.

MagicPatty
posted February 17, 2012 10:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Demilio:
These are the ugliest things I've ever seen. I can't believe how much people are spending on these. The $100+ that people have spent on the dual lands from this guy is just insane.

hence... how are they made?

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League