Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Dark Ascention Pre-release

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Dark Ascention Pre-release
southparker2002
posted January 29, 2012 10:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
How did it go?

I pulled: (From the DA packs)
Havengul Runebinder
Ravenous Demon
Zombie Apocalypse
Havengul Lich

I did 5 rounds and was playing W/U/B Zombies and Humans.

1st round: Lost 1-2
2nd round: Won 2-1
3rd round: Won 2-0
4th round: Lost 1-2
5th Round: Lost 1-2

I also had a Snapcaster Mage stolen out of my binder, and my friend's whole EDH deck was stolen.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by southparker2002 on January 29, 2012]

daner
posted January 29, 2012 01:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
We had 63 people at the release I went to. I went X/0-X/0, then drew with the other undefeated in round 6. Finished first with a 5-0-1 record. Yes....never lost a game.

here is my deck

1 cc

Geistflame
Dead Weight

Forge Devil

2 cc

Harvest Pyre
Victim of Night

Vampire Interloper
Disciple of Grislbrand
Black Cat

3 cc

Brimstone Volley
Fires of Undeath

Helvault
Screeching Bat
2xChosen of Markov
Rakish Heir
Falkenrath Torturer
Markov Partrician

4 cc

Afflicted Deserter
Falkenwrath Noble
Bloodline Keeper

5 cc

Heretic's Punishment

6 cc

Blood Feud

Reaper from the Abyss

9 Swamp
8 Mountain

[Edited 1 times, lastly by daner on January 29, 2012]

WeedIan
posted January 29, 2012 01:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
We had 63 people at the release I went to. I went X/0-X/0, then drew with the other undefeated in round 6. Finished first with a 5-0-1 record. Yes....never lost a game.

here is my deck

1 cc

Geistflame
Dead Weight

Forge Devil

2 cc

Harvest Pyre
Victim of Night

Vampire Interloper
Disciple of Grislbrand
Black Cat

3 cc

Brimstone Volley
Fires of Undeath

Helvault
Screeching Bat
2xChosen of Markov
Rakish Heir
Falkenrath Torturer
Markov Partrician

4 cc

Afflicted Deserter
Falkenwrath Noble
Bloodline Keeper

5 cc

Heretic's Punishment

6 cc

Blood Feud

Reaper from the Abyss

9 Swamp
8 Mountain

I see what you did there, you opened a Bloodline Keeper

13th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

hilikuS
posted January 29, 2012 01:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Missed out on the Pre-release. Wanted to play in the Sunday flight (did something else Saturday), not enough product to run it .

There was a draft, which my mill deck went 0-1 drop. Unless people with good records go home, it's impossible to make it into the top 4 bracket if you lose round 1.

Dark Ascension sucks! Although, I did like my deck, might try to build a Standard version at some point.

revenger
posted January 29, 2012 08:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
I wasn't able to attend. Haven't been to a prerelease since 5th Dawn (which I went 4 - 0). Now, what's the chase cards of the set (other than Sorin 2.0)?

Always trading for my fave artist cards I still need for my art collection. Trade em to me!

thror
posted January 29, 2012 08:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by revenger:
I wasn't able to attend. Haven't been to a prerelease since 5th Dawn (which I went 4 - 0). Now, what's the chase cards of the set (other than Sorin 2.0)?

there arent any.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Th3Sparkl3r
posted January 29, 2012 11:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Th3Sparkl3r Click Here to Email Th3Sparkl3r Send a private message to Th3Sparkl3r Click to send Th3Sparkl3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want ListView Th3Sparkl3r's Have/Want List
Prerelease 1, 1/28 wound up with a decent G/B deck with [card]Ravenous Demon[/card], [card]Bloodline Keeper[/card], and [card]Falkenrath Noble[/card]. 2-0 my first 2 matches, then my deck decided to misbehave my second 2 (0-2, 1-2) and I wound up coming in 9th overall out of 16 people. Pulled a [card]Grafdigger's Cage[/card] from my prize pack though, so I still made out ok.

Prerelease 2, 1/29 Had a decent, but not spectacular pool. My Innistrad rares were mostly blanks ([card]Heartless Summoning[/card],[card]Stony Silence[/card]) except for [card]Kessig Cagebreakers[/card] but I didn't really have any playable green cards anyway. Pulled a [card]Vault of the Archangel[/card] in my DKA packs and immediately decided to go all-in on B/W tempo with a whole mess of token producers. For the most part it went extremely well. Unfortunately there were only 6 people today, but I ultimately came in 2nd after getting mana screwed twice in my final match.

It all worked out in my favor though as I wiped the smile off the face of the guy I lost to when I tear into my second prize pack and pull out a foil Sorin! Second place never felt so good!

caquaa
posted January 29, 2012 11:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Th3Sparkl3r:
It all worked out in my favor though as I wiped the smile off the face of the guy I lost to when I tear into my second prize pack and pull out a foil Sorin! Second place never felt so good!

Had a guy get 5th place which was the last place for prizes. He gets 2 packs and pulls 2 sorin out of his 2 prize packs. I have no idea what the odds are, but I'm pretty sure hes used up all his pack opening luck. He did trade them away to me though...

MAB_Rapper
posted January 30, 2012 06:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
The store I went to had 156 people for the midnight pre-release... despite 10 regulars not being there (including me). The other three pre-releases had 63, 26, and 40.

I played 3 pre-releases overall.

Saturday day: 3-1 with U/W flying/humans. Only loss was in the mirror with more combat tricks. Geist of Saint Traft continues to be a house.

Saturday night: 2-2 with U/R. Started 2-0 then lost 2 in a row. Won round 2 with double damage curse and quad fling (Fling a 3/6... Increasing Vengeance... then flahsback). Lost to a nutty R/G human/wolf deck in 3 games and then to Sorin... shocker.

Sunday day: 3-1 with U/B/r. Red splash for Brimstone Volley and Alpha Brawl. Glad I have a Sulfur Falls and Evolving Wilds, or else it would never worked. This deck had the least synergy I have ever played. 13 creatures, 4 make you exile a card when you play it, plus the zombie maker, and Zombie Apocalypse. My removal was amazing though (2 slip, Victim, Tribute, Claustrophobia, plus the above). Only loss to U/G undying.

Undying is just a broken mechanic. Period.

Prizes at the store: 4-10 gets 15 packs, 3-0-1 gets 10, 3-1 gets 5, regardless of the number of people who play.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MAB_Rapper on January 30, 2012]

tragicmagic
posted January 30, 2012 06:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
Vorapede seemed like a pretty popular card. And that Ooze card that's indestructible. I saw a lot of green. I pulled a Sorin so I made a deck around him. Bad move.

mm1983
posted January 30, 2012 07:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I went 4-0 playing red green white using all of my innistrad rares and none of my dark ascension rares. Mikeaus the lunarch, kessig cagebreakers, and instigator gang were the rares I played. 39 person event 4 rounds. 4-0 got 8 packs, 3-1 got 3 packs, everyone else got 1 pack.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on January 30, 2012]

urza187
posted January 30, 2012 08:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for urza187 Click Here to Email urza187 Send a private message to urza187 Click to send urza187 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View urza187's Have/Want ListView urza187's Have/Want List
The first prerelease I attended I ran into the pyrostatic pillar guy in the first 2 rounds...Won the first time in a super close 3rd game. Lost the 2nd time because I got around that, but couldn't get around Havengul Lich. I had a pretty weak pool and couldn't combat against bombs.

Havengul Lich is the stupidest card I've seen in a long time in regards to limited.

1-3 drop

2nd prerelease was much better. I had a more concentrated r/g deck with the Ooze, Moldgraf Monstrosity, the 6 mana 4/4 morbid trampler, and Vorapede. Vorapede is awesome. I lost round 1 due to mana flood in both games.

5-1

DerangedHermit
posted January 30, 2012 12:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for DerangedHermit Click Here to Email DerangedHermit Send a private message to DerangedHermit Click to send DerangedHermit an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DerangedHermit's Trade Auction or SaleView DerangedHermit's Trade Auction or Sale
I went 3-0-1 during the midnight prerelease with a pretty nutty deck that had Olivia, Moonveil Dragon, 2 of the R/B burn from DKA, and 2 Geistflame.

Unfortunately, I received a call from my brother after the first round saying my dad had a heart attack. Since neither of us drive, I waited until the tournament was over so I could get a ride home. Thankfully, he's recovering.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by DerangedHermit on January 30, 2012]

yakusoku
posted January 30, 2012 02:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I also went 3-0-1 at my midnight pre-release.

I didn't get a bomb, but my deck was just overall very solid. Fiend Hunter, Slayer of the Wicked x2, Chapel Geist, Murder of Crows, Silent Departure, Silverclaw Griffin, Avacinian Priest, Niblis of the Urn x2, Elite Inquisitor and other good U/W flying creatures and spells.

In the last round, my opponent and I were both 2-0-1 and I had to double mulligan, while he was quite pleased with his hand and said, "No offense, but I'm rather pleased you're taking a double mulligan; I might actually win now". He played Stromkirk Captain on turn 3 and 4, and I played Slayer of the Wicked on turns 4 and 5.

Elite Inquisitor went all the way in game two against his B/R vampires deck.

I got 7 packs, which I turned down to get $21 in store credit instead. The value of DKA seems low, so I'd rather get my entry fee ($20 if you pre-register!) back. Free sealed!

I went 2-2 in my next sealed, opening up a solid G/R deck, but in five games, I drew all mountains or all forests. I got lucky one game when my opponent and I both transformed our werewolves - I had Daybreak Ranger and he had Huntmaster of the Fells and chose to deal two damage to my Daybreak Ranger, forgetting about my Immerwolf. He forgot that my creature was a 3/3. My creature fought with his wolf token, then I played Ulvenwald Bear to give it two +1/+1 counters. That *almost* makes up for the game I threw away when I didn't realize that Ashenmouth Hound deals 1 damage if it BLOCKS. A defensive red creature?

B14ckM4g3
posted January 30, 2012 03:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
played friday night first flight. went 4-2-0 and pulled an additional 4 packs. Saturday afternoon we had second flight, which I went 5-1-0. G/W deck that was very aggressive with a great curve. Lost my final match to a sever mana screw in the first game, and manaflood in the second. Still got an additional 8 packs though. Played a booster draft and took 4th, netting 2 more packs. then a two-headed giant, upon which me and my teammate built the best that we could of in a g/r and u/w, but the decks themselves were terrible. Card selection really just dropped. Overall though, I had a pretty good time. Last time I stay up for 48 hours straight though. Not doing that again, as I didnt go to work today from lack of sleep.

HandicapParking
posted January 30, 2012 04:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for HandicapParking Click Here to Email HandicapParking Send a private message to HandicapParking Click to send HandicapParking an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Midnight - 0-2 drop

Sunday - 4-1 w/ a solid UW flyers but I just got crushed by the guy I lost to. One game he turn 4 Mystics, which I Burden of Guilt. His next turn he manually transforms the mystics and then Smites my flyer on my turn. Then he drops Feed the Pack and gets 5 2/2s from his neutered Mystics... FUUUUUUUUU. Just one of those rounds where you have a medium-speed deck and your opponent gets to 4 mana and drops fatty after fatty.

southparker2002
posted January 30, 2012 04:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by DerangedHermit:
Unfortunately, I received a call from my brother after the first round saying my dad had a heart attack. Since neither of us drive, I waited until the tournament was over so I could get a ride home. Thankfully, he's recovering.

Dang! Sorry to hear that.

Havoc Demon
posted January 30, 2012 06:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Went 2-1-1 in sealed with B/W/U bombs. Deck had Liliana, Bloodgift Demon, Manor Gargoyle, Drogskul Reaver, and Havengul Runebinder.

Then my roommate and I went 3-1 in 2HG with G/W tokens and R/U control.

Overall ended up with 3 packs, some quantity of store credit and a Liliana for $6 total.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

My blog:
http://wings0298.blogspot.com

echo part 4
posted January 30, 2012 10:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for echo part 4 Click Here to Email echo part 4 Send a private message to echo part 4 Click to send echo part 4 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
4-2 playing green white blue aggro

got 15th place out of 54 peeps.

flophaus
posted January 31, 2012 12:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DerangedHermit:
I went 3-0-1 during the midnight prerelease with a pretty nutty deck that had Olivia, Moonveil Dragon, 2 of the R/B burn from DKA, and 2 Geistflame.

I truly hope everything is alright with you. I'll have you and your father in my thoughts, my friend.

Best of wishes..

-Bryan

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League