Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Tax implications: MTG as hobby expense?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tax implications: MTG as hobby expense?
Dresden
posted January 09, 2012 11:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dresden Click Here to Email Dresden Send a private message to Dresden Click to send Dresden an Instant MessageVisit Dresden's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Heya guys,

So it's tax time, and although I missed the original discussion here:
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/025261.html

I'd like to inquire as to whether or not the conclusions are the same if the intent is to write mtg off as a non-business hobby expense? Looking back through my records for 2011, I've done a good amount of buying and selling of mtg, primarily to complete my collection and sets, but there's been some churn in between so at the end of the year I find myself with some decent numbers both buying and selling cards, so I like to get an update on this, to see who else may be in the same situation and whether anybody took the plunge into actually writing off mtg as an expense, or if it is actually the case that

"It basically comes down to this if you plan to write the.expenses of your hobby off on your taxes go pay $20 for a business license take a small business class from SBA and learn some accounting otherwise be prepared to be audited "-BennyG111

Oh and assume for simplification that there's been 10k expense, 10k income, can I really deduct 10k :P

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Dresden on January 09, 2012]

stu55
posted January 09, 2012 11:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You can deduct the net loss, not the expenses, but you have to make sure it is determined to be a hobby and not a business

Dresden
posted January 09, 2012 11:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dresden Click Here to Email Dresden Send a private message to Dresden Click to send Dresden an Instant MessageVisit Dresden's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Mmm stu55, what's the difference?

Suppose I buy $20k worth of cards, and sell $10k worth, I'm holding $10k of cards still assuming no depreciation.
Expenses: $20k
Income: $10k

Do I have losses I can deduct?

quote:
Originally posted by stu55:
You can deduct the net loss, not the expenses, but you have to make sure it is determined to be a hobby and not a business

junichi
posted January 09, 2012 11:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:

Suppose I buy $20k worth of cards, and sell $10k worth, I'm holding $10k of cards still assuming no depreciation.

I think you should spend a lot of time learning the accounting fundamentals before you try to cheat the tax system.

edit:
If you bought a Candelabra of Tawnos for $300, and sold it for $100, then that is a loss.

If you bought 10 Candelabra at $100 each, and only sold one @ $300, with 9 left in your binder, that is not a loss.

edit 2:
And for all the Canadians who want to take advantage of this, there is a $1000 rule that rounds any transaction less than a $1000 to a $1000. So if you bought a mox at $350, and sold it for $500, the tax implication is:

Bought mox @ $1,000.
Sold mox @ $1,000.
= no gain/loss.

This is the same if you bought the mox @ $500 and sold it for $350.

If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

[Edited 2 times, lastly by junichi on January 09, 2012]

Montague
posted January 09, 2012 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Montague Click Here to Email Montague Send a private message to Montague Click to send Montague an Instant MessageVisit Montague's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stu55:

Wait, what? That doesnt really make sense.

quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:

The main question here is whether you are a business or a Hobby. If you are a business, you won't get to show a 10k loss because the cards you purchased are inventory. You have to figure out your costs of goods sold to determine how much expense you actually have.

If you are a hobby, then you must show the 10k as income and you can deduct expenses on your schedule A equal to or less than the Hobby income that you claimed. Hobby income cannot be used to offset other income.

Edit: Even if you break even, you still end up paying taxes with a hobby. Say you sold 10k worth of cards that you bought for 10k. You would claim the 10k as "other income". Then you would go to schedule A, deduct the 10k you spent on the cards as "misc expense" and it will be reduced by 2% of your adjusted gross income. Good deal, eh?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Montague on January 09, 2012]

MAB_Rapper
posted January 09, 2012 11:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Pretty much, the answer is no, you have no losses to write off.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

slurpee
posted January 09, 2012 12:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah don't try to deduct hobby stuff, you are destined for getting auditing. It will not save you money as selling a card is suppose to count as income. Theoretically any time you sell anything you are suppose to report it escpecially if it is above your cost basis.

Determining a cost basis for one card, np, determing it for multiple you are talking about not worth it for you.

Long story short, don't mess with it.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by slurpee on January 09, 2012]

Dresden
posted January 09, 2012 01:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dresden Click Here to Email Dresden Send a private message to Dresden Click to send Dresden an Instant MessageVisit Dresden's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Mmm 1s guys, forget about the losses for a bit, I'm pretty the word 'losses' applies only to hobby as a BUSINESS, which is what the other thread covered, right? (and dang junichi, harsh :P I do have a degree related to this, it doesn't come into play at all when reporting taxes though)

I know many of you guys run a business with mtg, what I'm asking about is utilizing it as a hobby, NOT a business. Is it still a no-go? My collection system is pretty automated, so having a cost basis isn't really an issue. And from what I read online, can't I deduct hobby expenses (no more than income generated) via itemization? As long as the value is >2% of AGI, it'd be worth considering? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, just want to make sure what's doable and what isn't.

Edit: The more I read the more I'm unsure, and most of the examples I see online are a no-go due to tiny $ amounts so let me clarify.

Assuming:
Hobby Expenses: $20k
Hobby Income: $10k
Normal Income: $100k
Suppose AGI is $100k, 2% of AGI is $2k
Expense greater than 2% AGI is $10k - $2k = $8k
Is it not worth it to try and claim the $8k expense, or is this entirely overshadowed by having to report an extra $10k in income, resulting in a scenario that is not better than just not reporting any of it :P

[Edited 5 times, lastly by Dresden on January 09, 2012]

junichi
posted January 09, 2012 01:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Montague:

Hobby income cannot be used to offset other income.

This is a very important point that you shouldn't ignore. Unless you are expecting a lot of income from your hobby in the future, and you are planning to report all your income from selling your cards, this is definitely not worth the trouble.

If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

Montague
posted January 09, 2012 02:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Montague Click Here to Email Montague Send a private message to Montague Click to send Montague an Instant MessageVisit Montague's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Do you have any reason you want to pay tax on an additional $2,000.00? There is never going to be a tax benefit to you having hobby income.

Speed Demon
Banned
posted January 09, 2012 02:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Speed Demon Click Here to Email Speed Demon Send a private message to Speed Demon Click to send Speed Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would talk to someone who does your taxes before coming to an online message board when it comes to questions on your personal finances.

davef139
posted January 09, 2012 02:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for davef139 Click Here to Email davef139 Send a private message to davef139 Click to send davef139 an Instant MessageVisit davef139's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
How are you going to try to claim 20k expenses on 10k of income, they will shove a probe so far up, you will stop playing magic.

Dresden
posted January 09, 2012 03:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dresden Click Here to Email Dresden Send a private message to Dresden Click to send Dresden an Instant MessageVisit Dresden's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ok ok I got it :P Can't fault a guy for thinking, haha. And ahem, I do my own taxes, so nobody to ask. Besides I know there's a lot of cpa's here so it can't hurt :P Thanks guys! Thread can be closed

P.S. You accountants are hilarious

[Edited 3 times, lastly by Dresden on January 09, 2012]

Montague
posted January 09, 2012 03:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Montague Click Here to Email Montague Send a private message to Montague Click to send Montague an Instant MessageVisit Montague's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed Demon:
I would talk to someone who does your taxes before coming to an online message board when it comes to questions on your personal finances.

quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:
as an accounting professional, this made me lol

Apparantly there are 3 accounting professionals on the board. dfitzg88, myself, and stu has an MBA and some background in accounting. Generally the advice stu gives is correct.

Edit: I think you're fine coming to a message board like this for advice, but you should take peoples advice with a grain of salt. Make sure the person who is answering is qualified.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Montague on January 09, 2012]

Harmless
posted January 09, 2012 03:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Harmless Click Here to Email Harmless Send a private message to Harmless Click to send Harmless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Man, just as it was getting good. I think if it dragged out a little longer we could have all gotten a piece of that $100K.

Montague
posted January 10, 2012 10:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Montague Click Here to Email Montague Send a private message to Montague Click to send Montague an Instant MessageVisit Montague's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:
i wasnt laughing at your question, just the heaping mound of wrongness people posted, probably after doing a quick google search and getting confused.

I'm curious about what was posted that was wrong? To be honest, I don't see a whole lot that is too far off.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League