Magic Discussion
  2011 Dec Banlist (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   2011 Dec Banlist
MTDetermine
posted December 10, 2011 07:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
When will it be announced? Noticed that Snapcaster is included in like half of top8 1.5/Modern decks. Used it myself and found it very useful.

Is Snapcaster causing unhealthy influence like Mental Misstep and risk getting banned?

MAB_Rapper
posted December 10, 2011 07:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
No. Snapcaster by itself isn't enough. Also, it isn't an auto 4 of like other cards were.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

WeedIan
posted December 10, 2011 07:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
He's not taking showing up as 32 of a possible 32 like mistep was.

13th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

RJM
posted December 10, 2011 08:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for RJM Click Here to Email RJM Send a private message to RJM Click to send RJM an Instant MessageVisit RJM's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View RJM's Have/Want ListView RJM's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
He's not taking showing up as 32 of a possible 32 like mistep was.

That plus he has the magic bubble of protection that's otherwise known as power/toughness. WotC doesn't ban creatures, unless they exclusively fuel some kind of degenerate combo deck (ie Hermit Druid.)

If they do ban something stupid and unnecessary this time around, it's more likely to be Brainstorm.

Devonin
posted December 10, 2011 09:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
But he fails the Defender test, so it's not a guarentee that he won't be banned because he has legs.

Phyrexian Angel
posted December 10, 2011 09:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Phyrexian Angel Click Here to Email Phyrexian Angel Send a private message to Phyrexian Angel Click to send Phyrexian Angel an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTDetermine:
When will it be announced?

It will be announced on Dec 20th and the effective date is Jan 1, assume that there are changes on the banned/restricted list.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Phyrexian Angel on December 10, 2011]

Tha Gunslinga
posted December 11, 2011 04:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
It's a Regrowth with legs. If Wizards printed an Ancestral Recall 1/1 for U, it would be banned. I'm not saying Snapcaster will or won't be banned, but the fact that it's a creature is not hugely relevant.

Mr. Ruboonia
posted December 11, 2011 06:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ruboonia Click Here to Email Mr. Ruboonia Send a private message to Mr. Ruboonia Click to send Mr. Ruboonia an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want ListView Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want List
The fact that the flashed back card is exiled instead of put into the graveyard is undeniably important and makes Snappy quite a bit worse than a "Regrowth with legs." That said, it's still an awesome card, but not even an auto-four-of in decks that aim to abuse him. I would be very surprised if he is touched.

Disclaimer: I only play vintage/legacy and could be way off regarding other formats.

choco man
posted December 11, 2011 07:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Tha Gunslinga:
It's a Regrowth with legs. If Wizards printed an Ancestral Recall 1/1 for U, it would be banned. I'm not saying Snapcaster will or won't be banned, but the fact that it's a creature is not hugely relevant.

If Eternal Witness was 1G, instead of 1GG, that'd be crazy

Tha Gunslinga
posted December 11, 2011 11:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
If Eternal Witness were BLUE and cost 2 mana, we would have a problem. Oh, wait, we DO have a problem.

Lord Crovax
posted December 11, 2011 12:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Eternal Witness were BLUE and cost 2 mana, we would have a problem. Oh, wait, we DO have a problem.

Problem they have is they can't keep banning new cards, looks bad, really bad.

Eatatjoes
posted December 11, 2011 12:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Eatatjoes Click Here to Email Eatatjoes Send a private message to Eatatjoes Click to send Eatatjoes an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Eatatjoes's Have/Want ListView Eatatjoes's Have/Want List
They might ban punishing fire, or grove of the burnwillows. If they are willing to ban green sun's zenith, i see one of these 2 getting the axe. They are really trying to make modern work, and punishing fire is very oppressive against anything with 2 or less toughness. Its one of the reasons that creatures like clique and bob dont get played in modern. I dont really see anything getting banned in any other formats. Maybe another unban in legacy?

choco man
posted December 11, 2011 01:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:

Well, there is a big difference between regrowth and giving flashback to sorcery/instants. But there is a bigger difference between blue and non-blue. And flash and non-flash.

Snapcaster has made a big splash. But so has Stoneforge. Either way, if changes are to be made, I hope it's in Modern more than anything else.

caquaa
posted December 11, 2011 06:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
But there is a bigger difference between blue and non-blue

one pitches to force of will, the other doesn't? As far as legacy/vintage environments go, thats the only real dif. Fetches and duals fix colors too easily.

choco man
posted December 12, 2011 02:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
one pitches to force of will, the other doesn't? As far as legacy/vintage environments go, thats the only real dif. Fetches and duals fix colors too easily.

It's the only main dif, but it's a very very important dif.

Speed Demon
Banned
posted December 12, 2011 09:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Speed Demon Click Here to Email Speed Demon Send a private message to Speed Demon Click to send Speed Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

While I agree that the fact that snapcaster mage is a creature is not relevent to the ban list, I disagree with many of your comments here.

A) Snapcaster mage is not regrowth on legs. It's not even close to a regrowth on legs. Eternal witness is a regrowth on legs. I feel that wizards did a fantastic job in the casting cost of eternal witness to not make it to degenerate. If it costed 1G, it'd be banned in 1 month. If it costed 2G, it'd most likely be banned in 6 months. If it costed GG.. this is probably the least likely, pushing the envelope, guy to get banned.

B) Snapcaster mage isn't that absurd. It just makes the great/absurd cards (brainstorm in particular) more absurd. Also note, you can't just cast snapcaster mage eot to play sorceries. To get max value out of snapcaster mage, you have to eot it and cast an instant. First, how many instants are out there in standard that make snapcaster mage absurd? How many instants in modern? How many in legacy? And if the instant is really that absurd, should we really be looking at the snapcaster mage banning or the instant banning (and imo, brainstorm has GOT TO GO).

C) Your exaggeration of a U 1/1 draw 3 cards creature guy is ridiculous. Snapcaster mage is nowhere close to that power level.

MAB_Rapper
posted December 12, 2011 11:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Speed Demon:

C) Your exaggeration of a U 1/1 draw 3 cards creature guy is ridiculous. Snapcaster mage is nowhere close to that power level.

Nope, it's just 1UU draw three cards for a 2/1 in Vintage.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

Speed Demon
Banned
posted December 12, 2011 04:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Speed Demon Click Here to Email Speed Demon Send a private message to Speed Demon Click to send Speed Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So ban it in vintage, LDO. It's not like anyone plays that format anyways. Vintage is the 1%

fluffycow
posted December 12, 2011 06:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Speed Demon:
So ban it in vintage, LDO. It's not like anyone plays that format anyways. Vintage is the 1%

Nothing is getting banned in standard

Nothing is going to happen in modern

Nothing is getting banned in Legacy

No one cares about Vintage

Extended is not a format

Tha Gunslinga
posted December 12, 2011 06:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
Let's just hope we see Bertoncheaty on the Dec 20th list.
SolonJhee
posted December 12, 2011 07:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SolonJhee Click Here to Email SolonJhee Send a private message to SolonJhee Click to send SolonJhee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let's just hope we see Bertoncheaty on the Dec 20th list.

Thanos
posted December 12, 2011 07:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fluffycow:

No one cares about Vintage

I care.

Haters gotta hate...

isetfire
posted December 12, 2011 08:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
I care.

Haters gotta hate...

+1

fluffycow
posted December 12, 2011 08:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
I care.

Haters gotta hate...

always!

I am also pretty sure that you would need at least a 10 year experience in magic before you can even consider starting vintage

Heresy19
posted December 12, 2011 08:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Heresy19 Click Here to Email Heresy19 Send a private message to Heresy19 Click to send Heresy19 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Heresy19's Have/Want ListView Heresy19's Have/Want List
I'll stick with my:

Unban Worldgorger Dragon!

I wish :/

This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League