Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Rule Clarification: Blocking

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Rule Clarification: Blocking
B14ckM4g3
posted December 20, 2011 08:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So I was playing casually earlier today. My opponent attacked with a 13/13 nightmare. I blocked with my mirror-mad phantasm. After declaring my blocker and passing priority, I chose to activate the MMP's ability.

Was the nightmare still declared blocked?
Is any combat damage dealt?
Does the MMP deal any damage?

What is the official ruling. I'm having a difficult time to find it. I have my own opinion and we settled it without any problems. I am just asking to confirm or dismiss my own allegations.

Thanks in advance.

NiceFaceLOL
posted December 20, 2011 08:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for NiceFaceLOL Click Here to Email NiceFaceLOL Send a private message to NiceFaceLOL Click to send NiceFaceLOL an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Was the nightmare still declared blocked? Yes
Is any combat damage dealt? No
Does the MMP deal any damage? No

B14ckM4g3
posted December 20, 2011 08:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Do you happen to have a link that I could follow for an official ruling? or when it happened to be stated as so?

NiceFaceLOL
posted December 20, 2011 08:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for NiceFaceLOL Click Here to Email NiceFaceLOL Send a private message to NiceFaceLOL Click to send NiceFaceLOL an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules_20110930.pdf

Was the nightmare still declared blocked?
509.1h An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a
blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked
creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that
it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature
remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.

Is any combat damage dealt?

510.1c A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. If no creatures are
currently blocking it (if, for example, they were destroyed or removed from combat), it assigns
no combat damage.

Does the MMP deal any damage?

10.1d A blocking creature assigns combat damage to the creatures it‘s blocking. If it isn‘t currently
blocking any creatures (if, for example, they were destroyed or removed from combat), it
assigns no combat damage.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by NiceFaceLOL on December 20, 2011]

yakusoku
posted December 20, 2011 08:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

509. Declare Blockers Step

509.1h An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.

So, even if the blocker goes away, the attacking creature is still considered blocked.

Then...

quote:

510. Combat Damage Step

510.1c A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. If no creatures are currently blocking it (if, for example, they were destroyed or removed from combat), it assigns no combat damage.

B14ckM4g3
posted December 20, 2011 09:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much guys for your help. and thank you for the official rulings link. Much appreciated.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League