Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Scrye???

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Scrye???
BennyG111
posted December 06, 2011 11:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for BennyG111 Click Here to Email BennyG111 Send a private message to BennyG111 Click to send BennyG111 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have been pretty much out of the magic loop the last 10 years but from 93-2003 when I was actively collecting MTG Scrye was the industry standard price guide now that I found it out of print and wanting to collect again can someone tell me what has replaced Scrye as the industry standard price guide?

Volcanon
posted December 06, 2011 11:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Nothing. Scrye was always unreliable anyway because it polled what dealers wanted rather than what they sold the cards for. It was never good between traders because it bumped up the value of bad cards and was chronically out of date for cards that became hot after their lead time.

iccarus
posted December 06, 2011 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by BennyG111:
I have been pretty much out of the magic loop the last 10 years but from 93-2003 when I was actively collecting MTG Scrye was the industry standard price guide now that I found it out of print and wanting to collect again can someone tell me what has replaced Scrye as the industry standard price guide?

There is no "industry standard" really. Prices vary based on where you are buying/trading/selling cards.

This site has a guide that's based on ebay completed auctions, which is the standard many people who deal here rely on.

For your local market, cards will probably be valued based on either what the store charges or some combination of ebay/StarCityGames prices. It's best to ask local players up front how they go about putting a value on their cards and adjust accordingly.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by iccarus on December 06, 2011]

Bagbokk
posted December 06, 2011 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
There's not really an industry standard per se I don't think, but tcgplayer appears widely used for trades; apathyhouse and motl as well, but more for sales imo.

AlmostGrown
posted December 06, 2011 11:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
Some people swear by on big retailer's sell prices, while others use a different store. I personally like to use ApathyHouse, MOTL, and TCGPlayer for price gauging. The first 2 use eBay aggregate pricing which I find to be the most accurate, with TCGPlayer if people do not like using eBay (for whatever reason).

BennyG111
posted December 06, 2011 01:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BennyG111 Click Here to Email BennyG111 Send a private message to BennyG111 Click to send BennyG111 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would like to thank everyone for their input now to decide how to go about re-collecting the sets my ex-wife took off with I won't go into details but I had either complete or close.to.complete revised.through iceages thanks again for everyones time

[Edited 1 times, lastly by BennyG111 on December 06, 2011]

southparker2002
posted December 07, 2011 11:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
I miss InQuest

flophaus
posted December 08, 2011 12:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by southparker2002:
I miss InQuest

That's kinna funny, because I just got back from my storage unit where I pulled out a huge stack of those just to read them for the hell of it!

I enjoy seeing the old deck-lists and hearing about how "hot" cards like Hammer of Bogardan are =)

MeddlingMage
posted December 08, 2011 01:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by southparker2002:
I miss InQuest

I have around 100 or so of these in my "man cave". I pull them out once in awhile to look at prices and decks and such. They were good reads too with some humor. Cow nose?

~MM

CM Punk "OMG Kevin Nash WTF, thought he was dead, LOL"

New keeper of the Logout button

jshields
posted December 08, 2011 04:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I had similar problems with Beckett Magazine when it valued cards at bizarrely off prices. Although I agree that most people here use the magictraders.com guide // ebay, those prices are not absolutely the rule, especially when a card surges in popularity. Although my store typically will match other online stores prices, I have to factor in that I am paying roughly 15-25% of the gross value to the store owner per card sold. I know that profit may be a forbidden word here, but as a rule, I know that a card not sold is money lost. I normally will list higher cards on here that have not sold for roughly 70-80% and lower end cards at about 40-60% of what I would sell them for (garbage rares, etc) of what I would sell them for at my retail place.

Thanos
posted December 09, 2011 01:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BennyG111:
Scrye was the industry standard price guide

I've been playing for over 13 years and I don't ever recall this...

caquaa
posted December 09, 2011 02:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
I've been playing for over 13 years and I don't ever recall this...

back in the day, its pretty much all we used. Low scrye prices. That basically meant that prices changed on cards only once a month? heh.

iccarus
posted December 09, 2011 05:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
back in the day, its pretty much all we used. Low scrye prices. That basically meant that prices changed on cards only once a month? heh.

Well, you also have to consider that the majority of the world barely had access to the internet for recreational use back then. Also, major tournaments did not happen with near the regularity that they do now, so there was little reason for prices to fluctuate as wildly.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by iccarus on December 09, 2011]

dwiz
posted December 10, 2011 08:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
I'll agree that we used Scrye back in like 1994. I was even published in it. But yeah, the prices changed once a month. I still have one of the original mailers (I think from Troll and Toad) where Black Lotus was $35 and moxes were $10

WeedIan
posted December 10, 2011 08:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
I used Scry all the time as a kid. It also meant all rares were at least $3

13th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

flophaus
posted December 10, 2011 09:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I remember totalling up my collection and when it came out to about $15,000+ back when I was like 13, I thought to myself, well this doesn't seem right...

airwalk
posted December 10, 2011 04:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Scyre and later Inquest were the standards locally here until the internet became widespread.

Bagbokk
posted December 10, 2011 04:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by airwalk:
Scyre and later Inquest were the standards locally here until the internet became widespread.

Same... it was one or the other depending on the shop or the player, but it was those two.

Mr. Ruboonia
posted December 12, 2011 11:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ruboonia Click Here to Email Mr. Ruboonia Send a private message to Mr. Ruboonia Click to send Mr. Ruboonia an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want ListView Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want List
Medium Scrye price was also the dealer standard around here. Our friend group used Inquest to help balance trades. Inquest was also a much better magazine in general. It was always an entertaining read, even though the humor was rather quirky.

-PoX-
posted December 12, 2011 11:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for -PoX- Click Here to Email -PoX- Send a private message to -PoX- Click to send -PoX- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by airwalk:

I had a friend who was on MOTL when it first started and he probably made quite a killing with Scrye prices, trading 5-6 completely worthless rares for dual lands and vampiric tutors...

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League