Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  H/W list formatting

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   H/W list formatting
Demilio
posted December 03, 2011 09:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Anyone else find it annoying to look through lists that are sorted by block? If every block is listed and the $100 cards are listed alongside the bulk rares it's not going to be as effective.
IMO, the easiest lists to browse are the ones by color, or lists that have the valuable cards separated from the bulk.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Demilio on December 03, 2011]

AlmostGrown
posted December 03, 2011 11:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
I format my list like this:
Lands
Artifacts
Multicolor
W
U
B
R
G

And I seperate by T2 foil, T2 nonfoil, NonT2 foil, NonT2 nonfoil. I hven't gotten any complaints, about it. You can always just CTRL+F a list for a card you want.

nderdog
posted December 03, 2011 08:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Different people are looking for different things and each one has their own opinions on how things should be sorted. Expecting to get any sizable group of people to all agree to a specific method is going to cause nothing but frustration.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nderdog on December 03, 2011]

Timmyhill
posted December 04, 2011 05:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Timmyhill Click Here to Email Timmyhill Send a private message to Timmyhill Click to send Timmyhill an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Timmyhill's Have/Want ListView Timmyhill's Have/Want List
As a collector I prefer lists that are sorted by sets as its easier for me to know if it has the version of a card I want because not everyone list the expansion set of cards when they sort by color.

nderdog
posted December 04, 2011 07:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Timmyhill:
As a collector I prefer lists that are sorted by sets as its easier for me to know if it has the version of a card I want because not everyone list the expansion set of cards when they sort by color.

Right, and as a player, I hate lists sorted by set because it means I have to look in more spots to see if they have the cards that I need and how many for those cards printed in more than one set.

There's simply no possible way to have a sort order that will make most people happy. Sort by value, and it makes people looking for a lot of random cards unhappy. Sort by set, and it makes players unhappy. Sort alphabetically, and it makes set collectors unhappy. It's a no-win situation, so do what works for you and don't worry about what different people may want.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

lordofthepit23
posted December 05, 2011 04:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for lordofthepit23 Click Here to Email lordofthepit23 Send a private message to lordofthepit23 Click to send lordofthepit23 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I prefer lists sorted with Legacy staples on top. If I click on a thread and have to filter through a bunch of junk, I'm likely to click back without giving a second look.

Dresden
posted December 05, 2011 12:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dresden Click Here to Email Dresden Send a private message to Dresden Click to send Dresden an Instant MessageVisit Dresden's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dresden's Have/Want ListView Dresden's Have/Want List
Mmm there's no way on motl due to the underlying bulletin software, but on some other forums, it's certainly possible to sort in by set, by legality, by color, and/or just alphabetical Now if we could upgrade the software that'd be great, haha!

quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
Right, and as a player, I hate lists sorted by set because it means I have to look in more spots to see if they have the cards that I need and how many for those cards printed in more than one set.

There's simply no possible way to have a sort order that will make most people happy. Sort by value, and it makes people looking for a lot of random cards unhappy. Sort by set, and it makes players unhappy. Sort alphabetically, and it makes set collectors unhappy. It's a no-win situation, so do what works for you and don't worry about what different people may want.

stab107
posted December 12, 2011 08:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm currently debating how to format my next H/W list. My goal is to put together complete sets and my Word document is currently sorted by Set/Color (from Innistrad back to Onslaught block so far), so I was thinking of posting it up like that. However, for my haves not sure how to do it since they are all over. Rares then Uncommons/Commons, by set or another method? To complete sets I will be looking for a lot of chaff so not exactly sure how to go about it. Would a point based list be worth considering? I have little experience with them so any input there would be helpful.

Demilio
posted December 13, 2011 12:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by lordofthepit23:
I prefer lists sorted with Legacy staples on top. If I click on a thread and have to filter through a bunch of junk, I'm likely to click back without giving a second look.

Agreed. There are plenty of times I'm asked to look at a list that is poorly formatted and I won't look long.

AlmostGrown
posted December 13, 2011 01:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
I'm currently debating how to format my next H/W list. My goal is to put together complete sets and my Word document is currently sorted by Set/Color (from Innistrad back to Onslaught block so far), so I was thinking of posting it up like that. However, for my haves not sure how to do it since they are all over. Rares then Uncommons/Commons, by set or another method? To complete sets I will be looking for a lot of chaff so not exactly sure how to go about it. Would a point based list be worth considering? I have little experience with them so any input there would be helpful.

I tried point based lists, and they are an absoltue chore to set up and then keep up with, especially with the way cards fluctuate sometimes. Not to mention cards can go wildly up (or down) due to bannings or speculation of bannings.

quote:
Originally posted by Demilio:
Agreed. There are plenty of times I'm asked to look at a list that is poorly formatted and I won't look long.

Is Ctrl+F so hard?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AlmostGrown on December 13, 2011]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League