Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Alpha - how much is out there now?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Alpha - how much is out there now?
MagixDK
posted December 02, 2011 12:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
A friend and I were talking about this.

the print run of alpha is known, but how many of these cards still exist?

like when someone say they have x percentage of some alpha rare. They have x percentage of the print run, but they may have a much larger percentage of the cards still in existence.

How many alpha cards were given to players who threw them out right away?

How many trashy commons and uncommons where tossed in the early days?

How many of the bad rares?

So basically if we speculate, how much of the alpha print run remains today?

airwalk
posted December 02, 2011 12:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
76.56%.

Seriously, any guess is as good as any other.

Ironman destroyed a lot of cards though.

mm1983
posted December 03, 2011 04:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I'd say about 5-10% of them were lost in natural disasters. Hurricanes or other flood related disasters.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on December 03, 2011]

MagixDK
posted December 03, 2011 11:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
well id think alot more than that was just thrown away

valorale
posted December 03, 2011 01:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for valorale Click Here to Email valorale Send a private message to valorale Click to send valorale an Instant MessageVisit valorale's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My opinion..
Very few were thrown out.

Magic took off very quickly and a market for these cards existed almost right out the gate. This isnt like baseball cards in the 50s where it was normal for you to throw em in a box, forget about them, throw them away when you moved etc. People starting in the 80s became much more knowledgeable about the idea of something being collectible.

A tiny group of people received Alpha starters at Origins 93 when the game debuted. Gencon rolled around a month later and by the end of the con, the Alpha stock was virtually gone.

The probability that someone stumbled into a starter deck, even if they didnt play, the nature of humans isnt to throw things out. Plenty of con attendees were looking to buy other people's cards off them. In addition all these con attendees are fans of D+D / fantasy they likely knew people who did play and gave them their cards.

Trashy commons / uncommons. Again same reason as above, human nature isnt to throw things out or destroy them. People played with the worst garbage because that is all that was available. Dont believe that? Here is the first Magic World champion tournament recap; Mons Goblin Raiders, Giant Spiders .. oh yea baby:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/249

Ironman, this is more myth than reality. Remember, people dont like destroying stuff they perceive to have collectors value. Any match with decks that didnt consist entirely of 4th edition commons was done for shock value and show. Never did I read about one with Alpha or Beta cards.

Alpha had some of the worst rares ever printed and on the other end, the best.

How much of Alpha's print run exists today? I would put it around 95%+ Natural disaster would be the most common reason for these cards to be lost for all time.

Now I think a more interesting question is, how much of the Alpha print run is in active circulation today and not collecting dust in a box on the top of someone's closet shelf. I would say less than 15%

airwalk
posted December 03, 2011 06:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I disagree with your thoughts on human nature, destroying things is definitly part of the allure. No one thought random bad cards had collector value in the mid 90's and they thought right, they still aren't that valuable today. Random played Alpha commons and Uncommons are about $1-$3 and that's 18 years later. No one would have thought twice about ripping up anything in the 5c box back then. Every now and then the local store cleared out stock they deemed useless via Ironman tournaments. We used to think of the most creative ways to actually get uses out the Lace's, like proping up tables or picking the crud from underneath your nails with them...

flophaus
posted December 03, 2011 06:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
How many of these cards were thrown out my mothers cleaning out some things in their kids room when they went away to college or maybe just gone at middle-school for the day? ...only to have that person start crying upon the disastrous news!?

How many of these cards were destoyed by clumsy kids perhaps getting their decks washed in the machine?

How many of these cards were destroyed in house/store fires?

The list goes on and on as for possibilities...

- Angry girlfriend/sibling/cousin/friend, etc somehow sabotages them.

- Forgot them somewhere (say on a restaurant bench, at school, bus, hotel room, friends house, etc... only to have them tossed out by an unknowing person)

- Accidently thrown away by a knowing owner (When I was in elementary school, I took my prized Sgt. Slaughter autograph to school and showed it off and accidently threw it away with my sack-lunch bag!)

- Stupid, ultra-sore loser gamers that get all ****ed off and rip cards up.

- Who knows, maybe even a lightning bolt struck some Lightning Bolts!? (although, I think it would be funnier if a lightning bolt hit some weenie creatures hehe)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by flophaus on December 03, 2011]

Havoc Demon
posted December 03, 2011 10:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Seeing how people constantly trash cards or leave them behind at events today, I imagine it that was the case in 93' too.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

Vegas10
posted December 03, 2011 10:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Havoc Demon:
Seeing how people constantly trash cards or leave them behind at events today, I imagine it that was the case in 93' too.

There wasn't events back then like there is now, the game was just starting there was no mass tourney organizers, and it was very chaotic back then, most tourneys started out as single or double elimination before wizards actually put in sanctioned formats and elo ratings. Plus finding booster packs was hard, they weren't mass produced like nowadays, WOTC started as a very small company at it took until probably the dark or FE before packs were easily availible everywhere.

BennyG111
posted December 06, 2011 12:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BennyG111 Click Here to Email BennyG111 Send a private message to BennyG111 Click to send BennyG111 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The cards are still around but as previously mentioned WOTC was a small company I remember taking a tour around 95 and getting a free starter deck of both revised since it was current and jihad starter decks. I still have the unopened jihad deck found it just the other day along with a mint beta Sarah Angel so yes you can find the early stuff but since there was less produced it is harder to come by

valorale
posted December 07, 2011 03:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for valorale Click Here to Email valorale Send a private message to valorale Click to send valorale an Instant MessageVisit valorale's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Its really difficult to articulate to people who werent around during the Alpha-Unlimited + Arabian-Legends time period just how difficult it was to get magic cards.

The only stores that even had Magic cards prior to Revised/The Dark were small hobby shops. You were lucky to get into the store to buy a pack of Legends before it sold out in the 1 month it was available.

People's collections were really really small. The value of black border (alpha/beta) was known virtually overnight. Alpha cards never really reached the 13yo segment of the market, they were largely scooped up by guys in their late teens and 20s at Origins, DragonCon and Gencon.

The whole "mom threw out my cards" scenario happened with the kid who started playing during 4th edition.

majicman
posted December 07, 2011 05:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:

- Angry girlfriend/sibling/cousin/friend, etc somehow sabotages them.

A friend of mine's girlfriend at the time BBQed a bunch of his cards back in 1997. I felt bad for him. Not sure what cards went up in smoke...Greg

[Edited 1 times, lastly by majicman on December 07, 2011]

BennyG111
posted December 07, 2011 07:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BennyG111 Click Here to Email BennyG111 Send a private message to BennyG111 Click to send BennyG111 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind there is still hope my ex wife took off with all my binders but I found she didnt take my small lock box which did have mint alpha, beta, unlimited, revised, and 4th edition Sarah Angel so the stuff is still around with some of the older guys like me

HandicapParking
posted December 07, 2011 11:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for HandicapParking Click Here to Email HandicapParking Send a private message to HandicapParking Click to send HandicapParking an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by valorale:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/249

Lol Rick has cop: red and disenchants the unholy strength instead of just passing (with an oriflamme on the table) and then Alex drops juggernaut. Such tight play.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League