Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Vanishing 3-Card Blind Tournament, Round 2

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Vanishing 3-Card Blind Tournament, Round 2
yakusoku
posted November 07, 2011 11:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
NOTE: NEW RULES IN BOLD.

This iteration, I am going to try to stave off the usual early decks that tend to stifle creativity - fast mana, discard, and Force of Will are all banned preemptively. (See banned list at the end of this post.)

The BIGGEST rules change is as follows:

At the beginning of your turn, you may put a basic land token of your choice onto the battlefield untapped. If you do, this counts as your one land per turn. This does not need to be part of your hand/deck/library. You can get a free basic land every turn.

3-Card Blind (3CB) is a very unique game.
The rules are as follows:
* Your deck is composed of 3 cards, all of which start in your hand.
* You have no library (technically, the library exists, but starts at 0 cards) and no sideboard (Wishes fetch nothing).
* Random effects always go against the owner of the card.
* You can see your opponent's hand, so you can always make the best possible play.
* You don't lose as a result of not being able to draw a card.
* You will play each opponent twice, once going first, once going second.
* For each win, you score 3.
* For each draw, you score 1.
* For each loss, you get nothing.
* A subgame played with the card Shahrazad where neither player has any means to win the subgame will result in an incomplete game and both players will receive ZERO points for that game, since the main game cannot be resumed. Neither player loses or draws, so neither player earns any points.
* Other than the aforementioned, EVERYTHING IS HANDLED EXACTLY LIKE A REAL GAME OF MAGIC!

If you want to play PM me or send me an e-mail in this format:
Card #1
Card #2
Card #3
Be sure you really are happy with your deck before you submit. Once you send in a deck, there is no changing it except in the case of an illegal entry.
Please make every effort to spell your card names correctly.

To start off with Unglued, Unhinged and Ante cards and the cards on the list are banned. After each round, the 3 cards in the winning deck plus any cards in more than 1/3 of the decks played will be banned for all future rounds.

NO MISE DECKS!

Any deck submitted MUST have some win condition. Any deck that can do no better than a draw against any possible deck will be rejected. A deck that can't win any game is mathematically eliminated from winning the round, and thus would just be taking a chance to win away from someone who could actually have a shot.

ALL players will assist in judging. The way this will work is that after the submission period is over, After all decks are revealed, judge your own deck against every other deck (going first and going second). Post your findings here in this thread. They will be reviewed by everyone for accuracy. Once a winner is determined the winners deck will be added to the banned list and the next round will begin. Repeated failure to do your own scoring will result in suspensions!

--------------Current banned list--------------
All Unglued cards
All Unhinged cards
All Ante cards
All cards not appearing in Gatherer (World Champion, Shichifukujin Dragon, cards from a new set not yet released, etc.)

Multicolored:

Gerrard's Verdict
Tidehollow Sculler

Lands:

Ancient Tomb
City of Traitors
Gaea's Cradle
Mishra's Workshop
Serra Sanctum
Tolarian Academy

Artifacts:

Black Lotus
Chrome Mox
Lion's Eye Diamond
Lotus Petal
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Mox Diamond
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Sol Ring

Black:

Blackmail
Cabal Therapy
Cry of Contrition
Dark Ritual
Duress
Funeral Charm
Hymn to Tourach
Inquisition of Kozilek
Mesmeric Fiend
Smallpox
Thoughtseize
Unmask

Blue:

Force of Will
Laboratory Maniac
Piracy Charm
Wistful Thinking

Green:

Chancellor of the Tangle
Channel
Elvish Spirit Guide
Fastbond

Red:

Barbed Shocker
Burning Inquiry
Rite of Flame
Shocker
Simian Spirit Guide

White:

Balance

Winning decks that caused cards to be banned (History):

Round 1 - breaking the format, LemonMeringue:

Chancellor of the Tangle
Chancellor of the Tangle
Wistful Thinking

Decklists:

1. yakusoku

Meddling Mage
Oblivion Ring
Nature's Claim

2. Magic1264

Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

3. dfitzg88

Anvil of Bogardan
Maelstrom Pulse
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

4. Numotflame96

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
show and tell
leonin relic-warder

5. ryan2754

Bitterblossom
Vindicate
Dissipate

6. WeedIan

Chancellor of the Forge
Capsize
Soldevi Digger

7. LemonMeringue

Runed Halo
Meddling Mage
Red Sun's Zenith

8. junichi

Brainstorm
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Shelldock Isle

[Edited 3 times, lastly by yakusoku on November 10, 2011]

yakusoku
posted November 07, 2011 11:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Gerrard's Verdict is the only other quick discard spell that worries me. For now, I'm leaving all the other three cost discard spells (Windfall, Wheel of Fortune, Stupor, etc.) and Mind Twist UNbanned.

Now that Chancellor is gone, I don't anticipate any other super fast decks that can't be kept in line with the usual metagame of beatdown, control, and combo decks in the format.

LemonMeringue
posted November 09, 2011 08:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
Poking around 3 or so deck ideas, it's really tough to decide on just 3 cards to run

coinmagic45
posted November 09, 2011 12:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coinmagic45 Click Here to Email coinmagic45 Send a private message to coinmagic45 Click to send coinmagic45 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coinmagic45's Trade Auction or SaleView coinmagic45's Trade Auction or Sale
What is the new schedule? I mean, when do we need to submit decks, and when will they be posted?

yakusoku
posted November 09, 2011 12:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'll accept decks through Thursday and start the new round on Tuesday. You have Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to score.

yakusoku
posted November 10, 2011 09:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The decklists have been posted.

You may use other formats as well, but this one is a must. Also PLEASE make sure you use the proper deck number for your deck. Replace the '?' on the bottom line with the number next to your name on the decklist.

Scoring:

Play your deck against each other deck twice, once with you going first, once with them going first.

Always remember that each deck is to be played perfectly.

For each of the 2 games, score 3 points if your deck wins or 1 point if the game is a draw, with no

points for a loss.

Some examples:
2 wins (WW) is 6 points.
A win and a draw (WD) is 4 points.
A win and a loss (WL) is 3 points.
2 draws (DD) is 2 points.
A draw and a loss (DL) is 1 point.
2 losses (LL) is 0 points.

Plug YOUR deck number into the ? below the ##, and your score against each deck into the other

slots.

Do not play your deck against itself. Just enter an 'x' in the chart under your deck number.

Please copy-and-paste the following code into your Message box in order to assist you with scoring:

code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL
?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??

LemonMeringue
posted November 10, 2011 09:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
code:
code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL
07 6 4 0 6 0 6 ? 6 28

1. yakusoku - WW

Meddling Mage
Oblivion Ring
Nature's Claim

2. Magic1264 - WD

Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

3. dfitzg88 - LL

Anvil of Bogardan
Maelstrom Pulse

4. Numotflame96 - WW

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
show and tell
leonin relic-warder

5. ryan2754 - LL

Bitterblossom
Vindicate
Dissipate

6. WeedIan - WW

Chancellor of the Forge
Capsize
Soldevi Digger

7. LemonMeringue

Runed Halo
Meddling Mage
Red Sun's Zenith

8. junichi - WW

Brainstorm
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Shelldock Isle

Welp shoulda just played 2 meddling mages

[Edited 5 times, lastly by LemonMeringue on November 10, 2011]

WeedIan
posted November 10, 2011 09:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Yikes Awful week
## 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL
6 2 0 0 0 0 x 0 0 2

1. yakusoku - DD - Meddling Mage gets Capsize and O ring gets Chancellor so we face off me with tokens him with mage and we dont' attack

Meddling Mage
Oblivion Ring
Nature's Claim

2. Magic1264 - LL

Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

3. dfitzg88 - LL - I'm not 100% sure about this one. but i lose

Anvil of Bogardan
Maelstrom Pulse

4. Numotflame96 - LL

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
show and tell
leonin relic-warder

5. ryan2754 - LL - Dissipate on Capsize with BB

Bitterblossom
Vindicate
Dissipate

6. WeedIan

Chancellor of the Forge
Capsize
Soldevi Digger

7. LemonMeringue - LL Meddingling mage on Capsize Halo on Chancellor. Red Sun me out

Runed Halo
Meddling Mage
Red Sun's Zenith

8. junichi - LL

Brainstorm
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Shelldock Isle

13th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

yakusoku
posted November 10, 2011 10:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL
01 X 6 6 6 6 2 0 6 32

1. yakusoku XX

Meddling Mage
Oblivion Ring
Nature's Claim

2. Magic1264 WW. I Nature's Claim and artifact and name Emrakul with Meddling Mage

3. dfitzg88 WW. Nature's Claim on Anvil, Meddling mage names M. Pulse, O. Ring exiles Kozilek.

4. Numotflame96 WW. I name Show and Tell and O. Ring LRW if he ever plays it.

5. ryan2754 WW. I can play Meddling Mage naming Vindicate whether he goes first or I go first. Whenever he plays Bitterblossom, I either can play removal without fear of counters, or I can play both removal spells and get through Dissipate.

6. WeedIan DD. I name Capsize, O. Ring his Chancellor, then our creatures stare.

7. LemonMeringue LL. On the play, I'm able to sneak in Meddling Mage (naming RSZ), but he plays Meddling Mage (naming O. Ring). If I attack, he blocks and kills me with Zenith. If he attacks, I can't block, or he kills me with Zenith, and I lose this race. It works similarly on the draw, where he plays MM first naming O. Ring and he attacks me with MM.

8. junichi WW. I name Emrakul and I'm just a turn too fast for him to cast it since he needs Island plus a Shelldock Isle.

coinmagic45
posted November 10, 2011 10:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coinmagic45 Click Here to Email coinmagic45 Send a private message to coinmagic45 Click to send coinmagic45 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coinmagic45's Trade Auction or SaleView coinmagic45's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by yakusoku:
I'll accept decks through Thursday and start the new round on Tuesday. You have Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to score.

I thought you were accepting decks through Thursday!? Can I still turn in a list by midnight ;-)

I'll try to turn one in by Wednesday night as long as I remember...

Blackborder.com Grading Guide

yakusoku
posted November 10, 2011 10:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wow, I screwed up, sorry.

I can't accept any more submissions at this point, since it would be unfair to those who already entered a deck.

I can only offer a sincere apology.

Sorry.

I honestly went on auto-pilot and forgot what day it was. I've been ill since Monday and I'm losing track of what day it is and I'm pretty sure I've skipped at least two meals this week.

junichi
posted November 10, 2011 11:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
1. yakusoku LL

2. Magic1264 WL

3. dfitzg88 WW

4. Numotflame96 WL

5. ryan2754 WL

6. WeedIan WL

7. LemonMeringue LL

8. junichi XX

code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL
08 0 3 6 3 3 3 0 x 18

If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

stab107
posted November 10, 2011 07:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yakusoku:
Wow, I screwed up, sorry.

I can't accept any more submissions at this point, since it would be unfair to those who already entered a deck.

I can only offer a sincere apology.

Sorry.

I honestly went on auto-pilot and forgot what day it was. I've been ill since Monday and I'm losing track of what day it is and I'm pretty sure I've skipped at least two meals this week.

Hey man, don't worry about it. The old deadline day was Wed eve so it's understandable. And honestly, you saved me even more embarrassment because my submission of Norin the Wary, Aura Shards and Blinking Spirit wasn't about to get it done :P.

coinmagic45
posted November 11, 2011 04:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coinmagic45 Click Here to Email coinmagic45 Send a private message to coinmagic45 Click to send coinmagic45 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coinmagic45's Trade Auction or SaleView coinmagic45's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
Hey man, don't worry about it. The old deadline day was Wed eve so it's understandable. And honestly, you saved me even more embarrassment because my submission of Norin the Wary, Aura Shards and Blinking Spirit wasn't about to get it done :P.

+1

I didn't mean to make you feel bad about it. I hadn't finalized a deck yet, anyway. I'll just be more prepared for next week :-) And I was really just wanting clarification for the future, that's all!

Blackborder.com Grading Guide

Myy
posted November 11, 2011 09:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
i wanted to play as well.

ryan2754
posted November 11, 2011 10:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL?
05 0 0 1 3 x 6 6 3 19

[Edited 4 times, lastly by ryan2754 on November 11, 2011]

dfitzg88
posted November 11, 2011 05:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
1. yakusoku ll

Meddling Mage
Oblivion Ring
Nature's Claim

2. Magic1264 wl

Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

on the play, i get to 3 mana and cast pulse on the time vault, then slam kozilek before he can slam emrakul. on the draw, he gets to untap with time vault and win.

3. dfitzg88 xx

Anvil of Bogardan
Maelstrom Pulse

4. Numotflame96 ll

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
show and tell
leonin relic-warder

he show and tells when he has 4 lands to sac to annihilater without losing emrakul. i can't do much.

5. ryan2754 wd

Bitterblossom
Vindicate
Dissipate

on the play, anvil makes him lose everything before he can vindicate it. a few pulses will deal with bitterblossom + tokens. kozilek wins. on the draw, he can discard bitterblossom and vindicate my anvil, leaving up dissipate for kozilek, meaning i can't win.

6. WeedIan ww

Chancellor of the Forge
Capsize
Soldevi Digger

pulse the token, pulse the digger, pulse chancellor probably. he just runs out of steam until i can slam kozilek

7. LemonMeringue ww

Runed Halo
Meddling Mage
Red Sun's Zenith

he mages pulse or it dies.
i play anvil making him drop halo.
he swings 2 and zeniths for 2.
i discard kozilek to shuffle and draw whichever.
he discards zenith, swings 2.
he gets me to 2 life and i slam kozilek to win

8. junichi ll

Brainstorm
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Shelldock Isle

brainstorm should NOT be an instant :P

code:

# 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL
3 0 3 X 0 4 6 6 0 19

should have played vindicate... sad sad sad.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on November 11, 2011]

Numotflame96
posted November 13, 2011 06:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Numotflame96 Click Here to Email Numotflame96 Send a private message to Numotflame96 Click to send Numotflame96 an Instant MessageVisit Numotflame96's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
1. yakusoku LL

Meddling Mage
Oblivion Ring
Nature's Claim

he casts the mage naming show and tell, thenrings my relic warden and races me to 15 lands.

2. Magic1264 LL

Time Vault
Voltaic Key
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

he plays nothing the first few turns because of relic wrder. i cast show and tell and he puts in his emrakul blowing mine then plays vault key and wins.

3. dfitzg88 WW

Anvil of Bogardan
Maelstrom Pulse

he gets to two lands and plays anvil. i pitch emrakul and pass. on his turn he can pitch pulse, then i use relic warder on his anvil leaving him with no discard for kozilek meaning no pulse and no anvil. then i just wait till i have 4 lands, show and tell, he gets kozilek and i get emrakul, he attacks, i sac lands and i hit him back and he loses. if he pitches kolizek, i draw emrakul, pitch warder and snt emrakul to win. if he never plays anvil then i just wait till 4 lands and cast show and tell.

4. Numotflame96 XX

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
show and tell
leonin relic-warder

5. ryan2754 WL

Bitterblossom
Vindicate
Dissipate

on the play i hit show and tell before he can dissipate. on the draw i cant.

6. WeedIan WW

Chancellor of the Forge
Capsize
Soldevi Digger

3 get SNT for emrakul and he can't touch it with capsize.

7. LemonMeringue LL

Runed Halo
Meddling Mage
Red Sun's Zenith

same as vs. Yak except instead of the ring he has zenith.

8. junichi WL

Brainstorm
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Shelldock Isle

on the draw: He plays island and brainstorms putting both cards on top. i play land. he plays the dock hiding emrakul. i cast relic warder. he plays emrkul and gets a turn.
on the play: i play land. he plays brianstorm. i play land and relic warder. he plays dock hiding emrakul. i cast SNT. he casts emrakul huffling them both. relic warder beats down for the win.

yakusoku
posted November 15, 2011 01:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Final scores:

code:

1 X 6 6 6 6 2 0 6 32 <= winner!
2 0 X 3 6 6 6 1 3 25
3 0 3 X 0 4 6 6 0 19
4 0 0 3 X 3 6 0 3 15
5 0 0 1 3 x 6 6 3 19
6 2 0 0 0 0 x 0 0 02
7 6 4 0 6 0 6 ? 6 28
8 0 3 6 3 3 3 0 x 18

LemonMeringue
posted November 15, 2011 01:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
If only the other dudes had turned in decks, this may have turned out differently!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League