Magic Discussion
  Is Casual playing dead? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Is Casual playing dead?
Irate
posted November 10, 2011 07:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Irate Click Here to Email Irate Send a private message to Irate Click to send Irate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Looking at the H/W lists on here it seems to be.
this EDH stuff has killed it.

caquaa
posted November 10, 2011 07:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
It just makes a more uniform casual format. Instead of having to define some arbitrary rules, you can all play using the same set of rules. I dont see an issue with it. If you do, then go play w/ people who also dislike EDH. People that dislike EDH typically just whine for the sake of whining though.

stab107
posted November 10, 2011 08:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
EDH is a fantastic gift to casual Magic. The fact that it gives players a fairly well defined set of rules under which to operate makes it a lot easier for players to play outside of their own little social network.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted November 10, 2011 08:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I love(d) casual Magic. The problem is that I'm now too good a player and deckbuilder (plus, I have a much larger and better cardpool) to recapture the fun and randomness of those early years. EDH, I take it, manages to negate most of those aspects in an effort to recapture the constraints placed upon us all when we were just starting. That's a plus, I think.

Too bad I haven't really gotten into EDH.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

Irate
posted November 10, 2011 08:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Irate Click Here to Email Irate Send a private message to Irate Click to send Irate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
from my understanding is EDH is a minimum 100 card deck with a legend 'commander' and you aren't allowed to play more than one copy of a card except basic land?

Does anyone have a handy link to how to play EDH? is it the same as Commander?

skizzikmonger
posted November 10, 2011 08:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irate:
from my understanding is EDH is a minimum 100 card deck with a legend 'commander' and you aren't allowed to play more than one copy of a card except basic land?

Does anyone have a handy link to how to play EDH? is it the same as Commander?

1) Link
2) Commander is the name Wizards gave EDH

Irate
posted November 10, 2011 09:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Irate Click Here to Email Irate Send a private message to Irate Click to send Irate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
^

thankyou

Volcanon
posted November 10, 2011 09:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
60 card casual is still around. Make one deck of each and you'll always have somebody to play agains. It's also the only way to play cloudpost now. Sigh.

keywacat
posted November 11, 2011 12:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
I rather enjoy EDH, as with Goaswerfraiejen my collection and skills are too much for my friends to keep up with. I am no Jon Finkel, but years of play experience and a focused card pool gives someone who just learned a year ago a tough time. More so if they only play casually, as my friends and I do.

EDH levels this out fantastically as a new player can build a focused singleton deck a lot easier and cheaper than a 60 card deck. I am at the point where I do not buy playsets of cards that cannot readily go into multiple decks. (i.e. artifacts & lands or "Sol Ring goes into every deck!"

[Edited 1 times, lastly by keywacat on November 11, 2011]

Tha Gunslinga
posted November 11, 2011 04:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
There was a thread about this on MTGSalvation, and the impression I got was that Commander had pretty much killed casual 60-card decks.

iccarus
posted November 11, 2011 05:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
My biggest problem with building casual 60-card decks was trying to prepare for a particular format. People approach deck construction in many different ways and I never could be sure if a match was going to be totally unbalanced. I also hated having to build a casual deck for each format, then having someone whip out a tournament ready deck.

For example, I can build a casual T1 deck that doesn't run power or broken combos. I just runs cards that are only legal in that format that I won't to play. However, if I throw a dual land in there or some other budget buster, is it really still casual?

With EDH, at least I know there's a certain way to approach deck construction. I can still build powerful and interactive decks, while still having some idea what my opponent might be playing.

Also, I agree with Goas' point. I've grown too much as a deckbuilder and my collection is so large that I'm past the "shove what you got into a 60-card shell" days of playing.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

coasterdude84
posted November 11, 2011 06:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
I'm in that small minority that dislikes EDH. I can't explain why, I just don't like it. I think part of it is all the players at my shop seem addicted to it and never want to play anything else now. I guess my only real complaint about it is it's made it impossible to get crap foils to complete sets (I'm looking at you, Decree of Pain). All I do know is I can't wait for this fad to crash.

keywacat
posted November 11, 2011 06:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
I do not think EDH is going anywhere. It gives casual the format it needed. There was nothing like showing up at the shop with my mono-white knights deck when extended was around and having to call it 'legacy' because of the Aether Vials. The guys with extended or standard decks would just say 'oh, well, it was a legacy deck' if I won and the guys with real legacy decks would crush me.

Now I have an EDH knights deck (my general is Crovax) and the Vial is no problem.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by keywacat on November 11, 2011]

Crash21
posted November 11, 2011 06:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Crash21 Click Here to Email Crash21 Send a private message to Crash21 Click to send Crash21 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Crash21's Have/Want ListView Crash21's Have/Want List
I'd have a hard time seeing EDH going anywhere anytime soon. It's just become too popular. I think most players love the idea that there are just so many different ways you can build a competitive deck, and so many obscure cards you can use now that you'd never have been able to put in a 60 card deck. There's nothing like sitting down with a bunch of "hardcore" players and dropping a fairly obscure card like Adun Oakenshield or Hurkyl's Recall, and have them all go, "What's that do? Oh wow, that's pretty cool" instead of always the same old same old plays.

TimeBeing
posted November 11, 2011 11:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash21:
I'd have a hard time seeing EDH going anywhere anytime soon. It's just become too popular. I think most players love the idea that there are just so many different ways you can build a competitive deck, and so many obscure cards you can use now that you'd never have been able to put in a 60 card deck. There's nothing like sitting down with a bunch of "hardcore" players and dropping a fairly obscure card like Adun Oakenshield or Hurkyl's Recall, and have them all go, "What's that do? Oh wow, that's pretty cool" instead of always the same old same old plays.

This ^^^

i love EDH because I get to play cards like Preacher and Clone without having to call it an Legacy deck. Old school players love playing there old cards,
I love EDH for both the deck build experience. (swapping out 1 or 2 new card when new sets coming out) the fun of Pimping my main deck, the the crazy games.

mm1983
posted November 11, 2011 12:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
My definition of a casual deck is a deck consisting of many cards that would not normally see play in a tournament style environment.

I don't play too many constructed tournaments so pretty much any deck I have I would call a casual deck. I will also agree with Goaswerfraiejen as far as saying that my card collection and years of game expeience make it hard to build for "casual" play.

I love EDH/Commander for the simple fact that it makes it hard to win the same way each time because you can only play 1 of each card. I think that is what killed constructed tournament play for me is that I either win the same way almost every time or that I lose the same way almost every time against the same 2 or 3 popular decks in a format.

Shadows
posted November 11, 2011 09:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Shadows Click Here to Email Shadows Send a private message to Shadows Click to send Shadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I stopped caring about EDH when I realized every place/group of people you play with has their own set of rules. I just don't have the time or energy to continually swap out cards/entire decks because of "overpowered" cards or combos. Went to a random store one night for casual EDH/T2 play and this is what I got:

"Sorry, you can't use Sorin (-3 or whatever ability), no eldrazi, no "crazy producing mana things (cradle, rofellos, ect), and absolutely no land destruction." Then to make matters worse, if you used more than two board destruction spells, they kicked you out of that game/future games.

Then it got to the point where almost anything I played, they hated. A u/g screw around deck with Earthcraft and Opposition (which I almost NEVER got either piece out), no Kiki-Jiki with Pestermite/Deceiver/ect... It got stupid.

So now, I just take pride in the fact that I have a huge Legacy collection, and can build next to any Legacy deck. Might consider picking up standard again, but honestly every deck seems boring as hell.

Oh well.

Volcanon
posted November 11, 2011 09:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadows:
I stopped caring about EDH when I realized every place/group of people you play with has their own set of rules. I just don't have the time or energy to continually swap out cards/entire decks because of "overpowered" cards or combos. Went to a random store one night for casual EDH/T2 play and this is what I got:

"Sorry, you can't use Sorin (-3 or whatever ability), no eldrazi, no "crazy producing mana things (cradle, rofellos, ect), and absolutely no land destruction." Then to make matters worse, if you used more than two board destruction spells, they kicked you out of that game/future games.

Then it got to the point where almost anything I played, they hated. A u/g screw around deck with Earthcraft and Opposition (which I almost NEVER got either piece out), no Kiki-Jiki with Pestermite/Deceiver/ect... It got stupid.

So now, I just take pride in the fact that I have a huge Legacy collection, and can build next to any Legacy deck. Might consider picking up standard again, but honestly every deck seems boring as hell.

Oh well.

No LD is silly. How else do you deal with ramp?
Sorin's middle ability is asinine to use. Everybody always uses him excsluvely for it. It's annoying but I wouldn't ban it. There's a lot of ways to be a turd in EDH.

Shadows
posted November 11, 2011 10:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Shadows Click Here to Email Shadows Send a private message to Shadows Click to send Shadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
No LD is silly. How else do you deal with ramp?
Sorin's middle ability is asinine to use. Everybody always uses him excsluvely for it. It's annoying but I wouldn't ban it. There's a lot of ways to be a turd in EDH.

Meh, I use Sorin because he's my favorite Planeswalker, lol. Besides, I only -3 in 1v1.. other than that, I'm just pinging random creatures for +2 life. And I don't ever really draw him.. can't tutor for him as I'm usually too busy tutoring for board destruction to stay alive : /.

rockondon
posted November 12, 2011 10:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Shadows:
I stopped caring about EDH when I realized every place/group of people you play with has their own set of rules.

Those guys you played with sound horribly annoying but I wouldn't place the blame on EDH for why they had idiotic house rules.

I like EDH because it evens the playing field a bit - having playsets of every hot card makes it hard for newer players to compete - plus it allows me to play old school goodness. My arcum deck has mana drain, mishra's workshop, mirror universe, power artifact, transmute artifact, etc and playing them is a blast from the past. I've learned to not let other players touch my vintage cards though - even after you explain how much the card is worth they will still warp it in their clumsy hands like its one of their own worthless cards in order to read what it does.

Edit: I forgot this thread was about casual. I still have about a dozen casual (vintage/legacy) decks but they usually only get played against weak decks from newer players. Last night I watched in agony as my opponent played a horrible creature and piled 3 horrible enchantments on it, all of which went away with one swords to plowshares. Explaining to them what they're doing wrong is usually met with comments like "Yeah but when I put 3 or 4 enchantments on it that creature gets really tough!".....facepalm.

|~~My #1 Angel~~l'_|'_|_|)
|(@)(@)""***|(@)(@)**|(@)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by rockondon on November 12, 2011]

eXtremeEagle
posted November 12, 2011 01:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eXtremeEagle Click Here to Email eXtremeEagle Send a private message to eXtremeEagle Click to send eXtremeEagle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View eXtremeEagle's Have/Want ListView eXtremeEagle's Have/Want List
I still have a few casual 60 card decks sleeved up, but issue brought up repeatedly about card pool making it hard is true with me as well. Most of my true casual decks I've actually had together for quite a while:

Elfball
Coalition Victory
U/R Darksteel Reactor

Here recently my 60 card casual decks end up being underpowered/tier 2 Standard decks like Allies, Warp World, Polymorph, and Jacerator. I don't play them very often though, I just take my EDH deck and shuffle the general into it like a normal deck.

choco man
posted November 12, 2011 02:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
I have a really fun 60-card mono-green Enchantress beatdown deck. I really love playing it, but haven't because casual is dead in my neck of the woods.

ryan2754
posted November 12, 2011 02:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
This is a very apropos thread right now, because I had a casual Rising Waters deck that gave me my only top 8 back in Type2 when MMQ was around.

Suffice to say, it never got used. Everyone in my neck of the woods only plays EDH and Standard, so there was no point in me keeping it together.

2nd in Posts [6279] in OH-IO
(only 1800 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

DraftMonkey
posted November 14, 2011 01:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for DraftMonkey Click Here to Email DraftMonkey Send a private message to DraftMonkey Click to send DraftMonkey an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Same here, EDH and Standard everywhere.

MTDetermine
posted November 14, 2011 06:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My friends and I still play casual. P9 banned. For other banned cards (either in Legacy or Modern), we can use 1 copy. We really play for fun so no one tries abuse this "1 copy" rule. For example, a guy running a demonic tutor and vampiric tutor will likely be using pure-black, and not some multi-color fanciful deck.

The group small. All around us, EDH, standard or Legacy

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League