Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Xiahou dun banned in commander?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Xiahou dun banned in commander?
bawitheba
posted November 30, 2011 01:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bawitheba Click Here to Email bawitheba Send a private message to bawitheba Click to send bawitheba an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bawitheba's Have/Want ListView bawitheba's Have/Want List
Ok we all know how powerful xiahou dun the one eyed is. My question is since he has been reprinted in a judge foil there will be more available. Do you think he is ban worthy as a general in edh. I really think only his rarity has kept he from the ban stick.

Let me know what you think?

SolonJhee
posted November 30, 2011 03:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for SolonJhee Click Here to Email SolonJhee Send a private message to SolonJhee Click to send SolonJhee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Well if they ban my general once again I know I will be done with my mono black 1v1 EDH. They banned Braids on me so I built Xiahou-Dun. Banning him would make me pretty upset. I doubt they will because he doesn't come down on T-2 as a 'must deal with' like Braids/Rofellos and it is a slow grind to get out the infinite mana cards (that an opponent can easily disrupt with as little as a Disenchant).

caquaa
posted November 30, 2011 04:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
It doesn't matter. Rofellos and braids shouldn't even be banned at this point. If people want to play cards that aren't fun, there are an insane number out there. EDH should self regulate. If people you play with can't control themselves, then instead of having an arms race, find something more interesting to do. Pauper EDH, etc.

At least hes mono color and doesn't get all the tools, just most of them. I think he can be an interesting general if people actually try.

edit: He was also easily available before. If you wanted him, it wasn't that hard to get.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by caquaa on November 30, 2011]

mm1983
posted November 30, 2011 05:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Is Braids completely banned from EDH or just as a General? I was thinking of playing him in a Black/White EDH deck.

caquaa
posted November 30, 2011 05:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
Is Braids completely banned from EDH or just as a General? I was thinking of playing him in a Black/White EDH deck.

http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

click on "deck construction"

Tha Gunslinga
posted November 30, 2011 08:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by bawitheba:
Ok we all know how powerful xiahou dun the one eyed is. My question is since he has been reprinted in a judge foil there will be more available. Do you think he is ban worthy as a general in edh. I really think only his rarity has kept he from the ban stick.

Let me know what you think?

I sincerely doubt it. I haven't seen people really complaining about the card, and I personally have never played against it.

WeedIan
posted November 30, 2011 09:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
I don't get it, he's pretty terrible as a general.

a 3/2 quasi unblockable for 2BB seems meh. What makes him so broken?

Omnath seems a bit more broken then this guy.

Am i missing something?

iccarus
posted November 30, 2011 09:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
I don't get it, he's pretty terrible as a general.

a 3/2 quasi unblockable for 2BB seems meh. What makes him so broken?

Omnath seems a bit more broken then this guy.

Am i missing something?

Regrowth on a stick can be really good, especially if you combine it with a reanimate effect like Corpse Dance that can be used to get around the extra cost from the command zone. Add in some form of infinte mana engine and black's access to the best tutors, and you get a pretty potent combination.

That said, he does not have the early impact on the game generals like Rofellos and Braids did. They could often make the game pointless to continue after turn two.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

choco man
posted November 30, 2011 11:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
Regrowth on a stick can be really good, especially if you combine it with a reanimate effect like Corpse Dance that can be used to get around the extra cost from the command zone. Add in some form of infinte mana engine and black's access to the best tutors, and you get a pretty potent combination.

That said, he does not have the early impact on the game generals like Rofellos and Braids did. They could often make the game pointless to continue after turn two.

He's an expensive regrowth effect. He's basically a not as easily abused Eternal Witness. But he's legendary so he can be used as a general.

If you're going to play cutthroat 1v1, he's about a mana more than some of the other hyper-competitive decks.

If you're going to play cutthroat multiplayer, there's plenty of tools to stop him.

If you're playing for fun, he's just a neat effect for black decks.

Loathing
posted November 30, 2011 12:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Loathing Click Here to Email Loathing Send a private message to Loathing Click to send Loathing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Admittedly I don't really play EDH, but in 1v1 it seems like Vendilion Clique would be by far the best general, right?

AlmostGrown
posted November 30, 2011 12:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Loathing:
Admittedly I don't really play EDH, but in 1v1 it seems like Vendilion Clique would be by far the best general, right?

VClique and Tunnel Vision was my first 1v1 EDH deck. Good times, good times...

caquaa
posted November 30, 2011 01:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
Am i missing something?

he has other text? heh

corpse dance + songs of the damned + general ... infi mana!
you can do dumb stuff if you try.

I think I'd rather just have one in a deck than as a general.

Zakman86
posted November 30, 2011 01:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zakman86's Have/Want ListView Zakman86's Have/Want List
Xiahou Dun's not getting banned, he's not even close to broken.

In other news, the grass is green, the sky is blue and the beer's in the refridgerator.

WeedIan
posted November 30, 2011 02:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
he has other text? heh

corpse dance + songs of the damned + general ... infi mana!
you can do dumb stuff if you try.

I think I'd rather just have one in a deck than as a general.

Ya and i can use Rooftop storm + Hakkon for infinite combos too infi mana isn't that big of deal.

13th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

simbayu
posted December 02, 2011 04:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for simbayu Send a private message to simbayu Click to send simbayu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hes not overpowered. I doubt he'll get banned.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League