Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What's best for small community tournaments?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What's best for small community tournaments?
tragicmagic
posted October 19, 2011 09:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
In my hometown, I am hosting a non-electronic gaming day at my local community center. It includes games like Risk, Pokemon, DnD, and of course Magic.

For Magic, I'm wanting to hold about 3 tournaments.

The town I come from is very casual when it comes to playing Magic... I would say I'm one of the better players and when I go to bigger cities, I don't statistically do extremely well. T2 baffles most players here. Most are familiar with ban and restricted lists of course. I would say they most play Vintage but they don't have any real power to compete with anyone on a real Vintage level.

That being said, I'm trying to figure out what sort of tournaments to have throughout the day.

Right now, I'm thinking 1 EDH tournament where it's going to be a multi-player free for all game. And each player will get points for defeating another player. Of course, anyone running a direct damage deck will be at a huge advantage, so should I put a restriction on that?

I also want to do a booster draft. Should I require that at least 8 players play and how much is fair to charge if I get an Innistrad booster box?

Then I want to do one more tournament but I'm not sure what format. Perhaps just a casual double elimination Vintage format tourney?

Bagbokk
posted October 19, 2011 10:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Vintage or Legacy is good especially if you know no one has a significant advantage with power etc.

I'm more partial to Sealed than to drafts... especially if your players aren't that great it might be better for them to have more time dealing with what deck they want to build with their card pool than deal with which cards to draft.

tragicmagic
posted October 19, 2011 10:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
I hadn't even considered Sealed. I've only personally done Booster drafts myself. But that makes a lot more sense. That would probably even the playing field a little more...

CubFan81
posted October 19, 2011 10:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
Sealed is also a relatively cheap tournament to run depending on what you're charging for the tournament and have as prizes if any.

You can get a box online for around $100. Coolstuffinc.com has boxes for $99.99 and free shipping on orders over $100 so pick up a couple boxes depending on how many people you feel might show up and you're all set.

You can get 6 sealed pools per box so it works out to $16.67 per person.

TimeBeing
posted October 19, 2011 11:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
last few conventions I went to they held mini-master tournaments and people seem to get a kick out of them.

Each player get 2 packs to make a 30 card deck. You lose your out (but you keep what you open) afetr each round you get another pack to add to your deck. Quick cheap (8$ i think is what they charge to play) and simple.

JackSpade
posted October 19, 2011 11:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JackSpade Click Here to Email JackSpade Send a private message to JackSpade Click to send JackSpade an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you want to run an EDH tournament and are worried about aggro decks you can always have different types of points. Example: Each player gets 1 diplomacy point for each other player in the game and they hand it out however they see fit. Good reasons to hand them out: awesome plays, funny interactions, etc.

caquaa
posted October 19, 2011 12:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by tragicmagic:
Of course, anyone running a direct damage deck will be at a huge advantage, so should I put a restriction on that?

that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Burn spells in general are terrible in EDH. Red is the worst color by far. If someone wants to make a burn deck let them lose.

tragicmagic
posted October 19, 2011 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
^^If points are distributed by defeating blows, aka players having bounties on their heads, all a player would have to do is sneak in a cheap Shock.

Assigning certain kinds of points might nerf that though.

yakusoku
posted October 19, 2011 01:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
tragicmagic,

my LGS has EDH tournaments that give you points for certain achievements AND take away points for certain achievements. You could institute something similar.

I don't remember them all, but here's a few I remember off the top of my head:

+1:

Eliminate an opponent from the game.
Be the first to be eliminated from the game.
Control five or more artifacts.
Eliminate a player who has more creatures/permanents than you.
Control {some number} of creatures with the same creature type.

-1:

Taking a consecutive turn beyond the second.
Eliminating a player before turn 4.
Conceding (people were conceding before a player would kill them)

If your concern is that people will just run burn decks for easy kills (which is largely unfounded as most wins come from big creatures, creature swarms, or combos as I've found), you could simply say that you will not get a point for direct damage. But, I don't think that's really needed. That kind of single-minded deck will largely be hated out and even if that player manages to burn out one person, it's unlikely they have enough resources to burn out multiple people (remember you all start with FORTY life). Creatures are more efficient when it comes to dealing out damage.

You also have multiplayer politics that will also come into play, meaning people who use tactics that are generally unfavorable will soon find themselves the target of lots of hate, especially in a free for all game.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by yakusoku on October 19, 2011]

tragicmagic
posted October 19, 2011 01:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
Thanks, valid point on the direct damage thing. I'll definitely look more into your point scheme going on there and see what other tournaments have done for things similar!

Devonin
posted October 20, 2011 07:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
Just be careful about the kinds of things you award those points for, and be extra careful about choosing any that can be earned multiple times in one match.

I played in an EDH tourney with a substantial list of "achievements" and "demerits" and in our pods of 4, being the last alive was worth 5 points, and controlling at any time during the match, a permanant of every colour was also worth 5.

The winner of the event played Sliver Queen, and in all three rounds my table never even had the -potential- for all five colours of permanant to be on the field.

I finished second entirely on the back of a repeatable achievement for "Have at least 3 creatures, and have all of them die at once to a non-wrath effect" which, playing Ghave, I got like, 8 times in my last round.

NukeMoose
posted October 20, 2011 09:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for NukeMoose Click Here to Email NukeMoose Send a private message to NukeMoose Click to send NukeMoose an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View NukeMoose's Trade Auction or SaleView NukeMoose's Trade Auction or Sale
If someone wants to bolt people to death for points then I wouldn't be surprised if everyone just killed that player first. Bolts can't block.

tragicmagic
posted October 21, 2011 05:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
Next question:
What kind of prizes are good for a being on a budget? I'm thinking no more than a fat pack type thing for 1st place. I may buy some of the novels for consolation prizes, and certain singles too.

wayne
posted October 24, 2011 10:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by tragicmagic:
Next question:
What kind of prizes are good for a being on a budget? I'm thinking no more than a fat pack type thing for 1st place. I may buy some of the novels for consolation prizes, and certain singles too.

I think that singles would be good, since you can trade for them

Volcanon
posted October 24, 2011 11:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The points thing is tricky. They tried it here and had one things where "wreck a player's manabse" was a big penalty. But what if I basically win the same turn? I have the Aura thief combo in a deck and it's basically impossible for players to have any hope after I take all of their permanents (or another combo where I just make all of their lands 0/0 creatures). It's rather different than casting three stone rain effects, no?

A big problem is calling it a "tournament". This naturally attracts people who play spikey decks, like Erayo or those green ramp decks I complain about. Call it a "game day" or something.

As for the topic, limited works best in small areas.

kirkusjones
posted October 24, 2011 05:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kirkusjones Click Here to Email kirkusjones Send a private message to kirkusjones Click to send kirkusjones an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If I may piggy-back on this topic, a local hobby shop owner offered me the chance to run a weekly tournament at his store. There are already a couple of weekly legacy/modern/FNMs in my area, so I was thinking maybe doing a rotating format every week, like legacy, EDH and maybe pauper to attract some of the more casual players. He talked about prize support of some kind, but didn't go into particulars. Would a rotating format be a good idea, or am I way off base?

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League