Rulings and Questions: Part 49 (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Rulings and Questions: Part 49
joz
Banned
posted July 23, 2011 09:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Post all your rules/tournament questions here and they will get answered. Please wait a bit before you think we ignored you, we all live lives outside of MOTL but we do answer when we see them.

If you are going to answer a question, please be 100% sure that your answer is correct. If you are just guessing or *think* you know the answer, keep it to yourself. There are plenty of judges and people who will know it correctly, and if multiple answers are given, it just confuses the person who asked.

This thread is a flame-free zone. If you can't be civil, don't respond. New players shouldn't be worried about being made fun of when they're trying to learn.

Some information for ya...

Comprehensive Rules (also available in Word, Rich Text, and PDF formats)
The complete rules for the game of Magic. Beginners should not go here; they are very intimidating.
Oracle Card Reference
The official text for every card in existence (use Gatherer for any quick questions about Oracle texts, Gatherer uses the Oracle text of all cards).
Official Tournament Rules
The official rules for sanctioned tournaments.
Basic Rulebook
Simplified rules for beginning players. If you are new to the game, you should read this and not the Comprehensive Rules.
Set FAQs
The official FAQs for each set. Look here if you have a specific question about a card.
Judge Certification Program
How to become a judge.
MTG-L mailing list archives
A good place to get official answers to rules questions, or to search for previous answers.
DCIJUDGE-L mailing list archives
The official Judge list. A good place to search for previous answers and discussion involving judging decisions, philosophy, etc. NOT rules questions. That's what MTG-L is for

Gunslinga - If I thought it would help, and if I could, I would.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nderdog on July 24, 2011]

nderdog
posted July 24, 2011 06:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Please do not post a new rulings thread if you aren't going to put the appropriate information in the opening post.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

joz
Banned
posted July 24, 2011 08:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
Please do not post a new rulings thread if you aren't going to put the appropriate information in the opening post.

sorry, my bad. Meant to do so, but I got called away right after posting, before I could put the info in and forgot about it.

Liq
posted July 24, 2011 09:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Liq Click Here to Email Liq Send a private message to Liq Click to send Liq an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Liq's Trade Auction or SaleView Liq's Trade Auction or Sale
With a Semblance Anvil (artifact imprinted) in play, can a Myr Superion be cast for 'free' or does he become uncastable?

<BoltBait> Don't make me kick you
<Slinga> Have no fear, MOTL's janitor is here!
<nderdog> So we're all agreed, it's Liq's fault, right?
<Leshrac> let me deal with that
* Liq has been banned

thror
posted July 24, 2011 10:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
Hes free, because he now costs 0. So you have to pay 0 mana, all of which must be made by creatures.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

KyleHauser
posted July 24, 2011 01:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KyleHauser Click Here to Email KyleHauser Send a private message to KyleHauser Click to send KyleHauser an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Just clarifying ,

If i Copy Artifact a Gilded Lotus, and then play Copy Enchantment on the Copy Artifact, Will the Copy Enchantment become a Gilded Lotus because Copy Artifact retains its enchantment type?

Thank you.

joz
Banned
posted July 24, 2011 02:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KyleHauser:
Just clarifying ,

If i Copy Artifact a Gilded Lotus, and then play Copy Enchantment on the Copy Artifact, Will the Copy Enchantment become a Gilded Lotus because Copy Artifact retains its enchantment type?

Thank you.

1. Play Gilded Lotus.
2. Play Copy Artifact on Gilded Lotus; Copy Artifact changes types and is now a card called Gilded Lotus, Artifact Enchantment, T: add three mana of any one color.
3. Play Copy Enchantment targeting Copy of Gilded Lotus, you now have a Enchantment Artifact Enchantment Gilded Lotus, a Artifact Enchantment Gilded Lotus and a Gilded Lotus.

enjoi.

Myy
posted July 24, 2011 09:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
If my opponent has worship in play, and a 1/1 creature and I Earthquake. Does he die, or is he still at 1 life?

Kyzneg
posted July 24, 2011 09:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kyzneg Click Here to Email Kyzneg Send a private message to Kyzneg Click to send Kyzneg an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myy:
If my opponent has worship in play, and a 1/1 creature and I Earthquake. Does he die, or is he still at 1 life?

The opponent is still at 1 life. All damage from earthquake is dealt simultaneously, so when it would be dealt, Worship still sees a creature and the replacement effect is applied.

joz
Banned
posted July 24, 2011 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzneg:
The opponent is still at 1 life. All damage from earthquake is dealt simultaneously, so when it would be dealt, Worship still sees a creature and the replacement effect is applied.

No replacement effect.

Earthquake deals 1 damage to each creature and each player, the damage is dealt simultaneously. The 1/1 dies, however the Worship prevents the player from taking that 1 damage, since the creature was still present at the time that damage was applied.

choco man
posted July 24, 2011 10:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
If I use tezzeret agent of bolas ability on an animated inkmoth nexus, does it stay a 5/5 for as long as its in play?

If so, when I reactivate inkmoth, does it turn back into a 1/1 and then eot turn back into a 5/5?

caquaa
posted July 24, 2011 11:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by joz:
No replacement effect.

If you control a creature, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.

seems to be a replacement effect to me.

quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
If I use tezzeret agent of bolas ability on an animated inkmoth nexus, does it stay a 5/5 for as long as its in play?

If so, when I reactivate inkmoth, does it turn back into a 1/1 and then eot turn back into a 5/5?

first part: Yes. Tezzeret's ability does not have a duration so it remains a 5/5 creature.

second part: correct once again, it will be come a 1/1 if you activate the ability once its a 5/5.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by caquaa on July 24, 2011]

joz
Banned
posted July 25, 2011 06:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:

If you control a creature, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.

seems to be a replacement effect to me.

Nevermind, the way you wrote it seemed as if you were referring to another part of the Worship effect being a replacement. Had to re-read your post a few times.

orcishartillery
posted July 25, 2011 01:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for orcishartillery Send a private message to orcishartillery Click to send orcishartillery an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joz:
No replacement effect.

Earthquake deals 1 damage to each creature and each player, the damage is dealt simultaneously. The 1/1 dies, however the Worship prevents the player from taking that 1 damage, since the creature was still present at the time that damage was applied.

Note that Worship does not prevent damage. Rather, it changes what happens as a result of that damage. See this ruling in Gatherer:

"Worship does not prevent damage. It causes some damage to be unable to lower your life total. So any damage rendered useless by Worship was still dealt and is counted by effects that track the amount of damage done to a player. In addition, Worship does not prevent loss of life, so loss of life bypasses Worship."

mulder
posted July 28, 2011 04:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mulder Click Here to Email mulder Send a private message to mulder Click to send mulder an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Does Academy Rector still work when it is killed an Humility is in play?

TimeBeing
posted July 28, 2011 04:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mulder:
Does Academy Rector still work when it is killed an Humility is in play?

No

flashpower
Banned
posted July 28, 2011 09:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flashpower Click Here to Email flashpower Send a private message to flashpower Click to send flashpower an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
how would turns go if i had one lighthouse chronologist on the field. two? three?

nderdog
posted July 28, 2011 09:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by flashpower:
how would turns go if i had one lighthouse chronologist on the field. two? three?

From The Gatherer

The effects of multiple level 7 Lighthouse Chronologists are cumulative. If you control two of them in a two-player game, you'll take three turns for each turn your opponent takes.

So if you have 1 fully-leveled Chronologist, the turn order would be Opponent, You, You, Opponent, You, You, etc. For each additional fully-leveled Chronologist, add and extra turn for you each time.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nderdog on July 28, 2011]

wisknudde
posted August 01, 2011 01:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wisknudde Click Here to Email wisknudde Send a private message to wisknudde Click to send wisknudde an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have a few questions concerning my new EDH deck I am buidling. The commander I want to use is: Zur the Enchanter.

His ability is:

quote:
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard 1 / 4
Flying
Whenever Zur the Enchanter attacks, you may search your library for an enchantment card with converted mana cost 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield. If you do, shuffle your library.

Here is the 1st question:
What if Zur has been enchanted with Robe of Mirrors or Diplomatic Immunity and I declare an attack with him, so I can fetch an Enchantment and I fetch (for instance) battle mastery can I attach the enchantment to him?

The 2nd question I have is:
What if my opponent has Uril, the Miststalker in play, can I use Zur's ability to fetch (for instance) Pacifism and attach it to Uril? If not, how does this work with Oblivion Ring ?

caquaa
posted August 01, 2011 01:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
Your first question is answered in the link you provided for zur:
7/15/2006 If you use Zur the Enchanter's triggered ability to search for an Aura, it will be put onto the battlefield attached to an appropriate permanent. It doesn't target that permanent. If no appropriate permanent exists for it to be attached to, that Aura can't be put onto the battlefield and stays in your library.

since it doesn't target, shroud will not stop it.

second question is basically the same for pacifism. It doesn't target so throw it on uril. The oblivion ring has a triggered ability when it enters the battlefield that does target, it will not work on uril.

wisknudde
posted August 01, 2011 02:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wisknudde Click Here to Email wisknudde Send a private message to wisknudde Click to send wisknudde an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the answer Caquaa,

I am wondering something else then: You can use oblivion ring to exile Emrakul. What is the distinct difference in targetting emrakul (which has protection from colored spells, and basically cannot be targetted neither) and targetting Uril (which has Shroud)

caquaa
posted August 01, 2011 02:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by wisknudde:
I am wondering something else then: You can use oblivion ring to exile Emrakul. What is the distinct difference in targeting emrakul (which has protection from colored spells, and basically cannot be targeted neither) and targeting Uril (which has Shroud)

few rules first:

702.16a. Shroud is a static ability. “Shroud” means “This permanent or player can’t be the target of spells or abilities.”

702.11b "Hexproof" on a permanent means "This permanent can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control."

114.1b. Aura spells are always targeted. These are the only permanent spells with targets. An Aura’s target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see rule 702.5, “Enchant”). The target(s) are chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. An Aura permanent doesn’t target anything; only the spell is targeted. (An activated or triggered ability of an Aura permanent can also be targeted.)

303.4f. If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player’s control by any means other than by resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn’t specify the object or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura’s enchant ability and any other applicable effects.

How these interact with uril is very different from emrakul.
Uril - Hexproof (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)

As you can see from the above rules, if you attempt to cast an aura, it must have a target chosen, and you can't legally choose uril. When an aura enters the battlefield with zur, you need to choose a permanent it can legally enchant). This effectively gets around hexproof/shroud because choosing a permanent and targeting are not the same thing. Hexproof only stops targeting.

Emrakul - protection from colored spells
If you cast an aura (with a color) it is a targeted spell that cannot legally choose emrakul. If you bring it onto the battlefield w/ zur then it is an aura, not a spell, so emrakul doesn't have protection from it. Oblivion ring does not target when it is cast. When it resolves, it has a triggered ability that does target (again, not a spell). Emrakul only has protection from spells so oblivion ring works fine.

[Edited 3 times, lastly by caquaa on August 01, 2011]

Kyzneg
posted August 01, 2011 02:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kyzneg Click Here to Email Kyzneg Send a private message to Kyzneg Click to send Kyzneg an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for the answer Caquaa,

I am wondering something else then: You can use oblivion ring to exile Emrakul. What is the distinct difference in targetting emrakul (which has protection from colored spells, and basically cannot be targetted neither) and targetting Uril (which has Shroud)

Shroud prevents any targeting, whereas Emrakul's protection ability only prevents targeting by colored spells (along with keeping Emrakul from being damaged, enchanted/equipped, or blocked by colored spells, but only the damage and targeting prevention has any real effect, since the other effects are done by permanents, not spells on the stack). Since a card is only a spell when it's on the stack, colored permanents are not affected by Emrakul's protection. Oblivion Ring doesn't target while it's on the stack, but has a triggered ability that doesn't happen till it's in play, and not a spell.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Kyzneg on August 01, 2011]

wisknudde
posted August 01, 2011 05:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wisknudde Click Here to Email wisknudde Send a private message to wisknudde Click to send wisknudde an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody, the answers clear up a lot for me. Much appreciated.

Another few questions:

If I clone Zur the Enchanter, will the clone act as a "Legendary" creature as well? Thus removing both "Zurs" in play?

And how does Vesuvan Doppelganger interact with cloning Zur the Enchanter?

caquaa
posted August 01, 2011 06:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

If I clone Zur the Enchanter, will the clone act as a "Legendary" creature as well? Thus removing both "Zurs" in play?

And how does Vesuvan Doppelganger interact with cloning Zur the Enchanter?

both would kill zur and themselves via legend rule. Try shakashima instead.

This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League