Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Best time to buy rotating cards?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Best time to buy rotating cards?
Soldier Boi
posted July 24, 2012 09:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I want to pick up a bunch of of SOM block cards for casual play. Was wondering when would be the best time to pick them up. I dont want to wait to long because last time I tried to do it after ZEN rotated and everyone already sold their cards to the dealers.

Solidarity
posted July 24, 2012 10:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Solidarity Send a private message to Solidarity Click to send Solidarity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Uh, you just answered your own question. NOW

Cards like Venser, Tezz, Surgical Extraction, GSZ, Phyrexian Metamorph, Batterskull, etc are only a few bucks now anyway. Best time to buy is when everyone else is selling...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Solidarity on July 24, 2012]

psrex
posted July 24, 2012 10:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
December is always ideal, if you can wait that long.

Zeckk
posted July 25, 2012 03:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
As a trader, the absolute best time is during the RTR pre-release and the FNM when RTR becomes legal. As far as ebay goes, usually 2 weeks before the pre-release is when the demand is at it's lowest.

jshields
posted August 01, 2012 08:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would tend to agree with everyone else, since this is usually the time of the year when I will bail out on around 70% of my inventory of most Scars of Mirrodin block cards. Sometimes for stores and retailers like me, it is better to break even at the end of a block and trade towards newer stuff or vintage staples, than to see many cards lose an additional 30-50% of their value.

Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 552-2204

Fun-N-Games Facebook Page - Be a Fan!
(Magic Coupons, events, & more!)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fun-N-Games-Hobby-Shoppe

Live @ WV, Blacksburg or Roanoke, VA? Come to Fun-N-Games!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jshields on August 01, 2012]

solistar
posted August 05, 2012 11:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for solistar Click Here to Email solistar Send a private message to solistar Click to send solistar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The price always starts dropping around June, which is when I always try to dump my inventory of the rotating block. Course it usually continues to go down all the way up to the block actually rotating, closer you get though the less likely you will find the cards you want easily. I've already sold off most of my inventory

Soldier Boi
posted August 05, 2012 04:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by solistar:
The price always starts dropping around June, which is when I always try to dump my inventory of the rotating block. Course it usually continues to go down all the way up to the block actually rotating, closer you get though the less likely you will find the cards you want easily. I've already sold off most of my inventory

Yea, I figured I would start buying soon. Right now I am just waiting for my bonus since I just spent like 600 on dual lands already lol.

mm1983
posted August 09, 2012 04:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I've dumped my sets Sword of Feast and Famines and Sword of War and Peace and also my play sets of foil scars dual lands when they were at their high. With so many lands in modern I really have no use for scars lands so I was happy to get about $500 total for all of the swords and the foil lands. Those same cards now I could probably buy for $200-250.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on August 09, 2012]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League